Painting My Uke

Mateus

Reaction score
I fancy painting my ukulele, but I have the Mahalo Electric Acoustic Uke and since I can't paint straight onto it I was wondering how I'd get started. Do I literally have to take off all the plastic or is it just not possible? :/

Thanks in advance

I want to paint my beater uke. I'm scared I'll get it wrong, though. Do you have a design/idea?

I think you can take of or cover the electronics and then spray paint the electric uke. Im pretty sure this is what my friend did. I have never tried this though so wait for someone with more knowledge coz im not the most practically able.

...ummm... I have some ideas but I haven't drawn them out :B

Wow, looks great :D So you literally just spray it directly onto the uke? If I wanted to add smaller detail would I just use a stencil then or could I draw on it with a pen? :]

Wow, looks great :D So you literally just spray it directly onto the uke? If I wanted to add smaller detail would I just use a stencil then or could I draw on it with a pen? :]

Tape up the fetboard, bridge etc. with duct tape (you might want to put a piece of paper along the fretboard or you will have stickiness to get off when you remove the tape, so I've learned). Start slow, just spray on very little at a time and come back frequently mistings of paint. If you spray too much at once it will run and drip. I used a white base coat first ad then added thew colors. Put a big wad of newspaper in the soundhole so you don't spray the inside of the uke. Lastly, leave it alone until dry.

There are a few fiddly bits to my uke (volume and tone dials, cable input) I may just get a cheap ukulele, spray that and give it some decent strings :/ shame i'm low on cash all the time, I should get a job :L

Just use blue painter's tape for anything that needs to be taped off. That's its exact purpose.

I did a fender jazz bass I had back in the 60's. Came out really well actually everyone thought it was a high dollar custom lol. First took off the neck ,controls etc. Sanded it down a bit (worked in a body shop after school in the 50's) .Then used a high gloss black to paint the body did prob 3 coats. Then bought a cheap piece of lace and laid it over the body pulling it tight and taping it to the back of the body. Sprayed a gold mist paint into the lace (used a fast drying ) i coat only and removed the lace. A couple a clear coats and wa la a rock n roll bass. Really was a suprise it came out great. Sold that bass for more than I paid for it a couple years later . BTW it was pretty chipped and scratched sunburst that had been played hard and never put away lol.

Top Bottom