HELP - Klemmsia clamp - release?

Gmoney

Reaction score
I purchased a Klemmsia cam clamp to use to affix the bridge for a busted uke - direct from Peck Tools. But... just got it & it is totally closed - stuck down even w/o the cam engaged! How do you release a REALLY locked clamp w/o marring or damaging it?

Brute strength and ignorance works every time!

Clamp the metal bar in a vice, pull back on the lower arm, and wiggle...the clamp upper arm, not your arse...

I hold it by the sliding part, at the bar end, and hit the steel bar end down on your bench top, hard.

THANKS! That worked... (And to Rick, no vice yet to try that suggestion & wiggling my "arse" never worked for me either - in any setting!)

THANKS! That worked... (And to Rick, no vice yet to try that suggestion & wiggling my "arse" never worked for me either - in any setting!)

BUT... the clamp is too big to fit in the soundhole of this CHEAP soprano uke!

So... I bought this CHEAP Johnson pineapple uke off of eBay w/the bridge already popped off. You can see how little glue was actually used on the body & the back of the bridge. Figured I'd use it to try my hand at regluing the bridge; replacing the saddle & nut for "practice". It all looks SO easy on YouTube! (admitedly, most "bridge re-glues" videos I've seen are guitars w/a fair bit more room for the clamps. (I also first bought a CHEAP deep C-clamp which was also to large - too long actually)

Alternative is to make my own clamps like Sven I guess? OR could I just carefully sand the backside of the bridge & the location where it goes on the body & rubber band it or tape it for enough clamping force?

I KNOW that I've way overspent on tools for this uke, but DANG that Klemmsia clamp is sexy!

After looking at Sven's building blog I think I'm gonna buy a couple of the "F-Hole" violin clamps that he shows clamping a bridge in several of his posts.

Stewmac has a set for $60, but found a place on the net that will let me purchase just the 4" for $7.50 each - so probably going to buy a couple of them. Anybody dealt w/"Pilgrims Projects" in Caledonia, MI ??

Tools & ukes - can't get enough!

Hey, thanks. But I never really got to the point where I can recommend the designs I tried. Now I use "f-hole clamps". I got them from metmusic but they're everywhere. And that design would be easy to make make your own. Of. Or whatever, grammar brain asleep already.

Goodnight.

Heh. We wrote at the same time...

Last edited:
Make a "prop" on the inside, and clamp on the outside, from top to bottom.
The bridge doesn't have to be clamped real hard, just firm, if the surfaces are prepared well and fit well.

Actually, with hot hide glue, I would hold the bridge to the top with finger pressure till the glue tacks, about a minute, then let the glue do the rest of the work.

The simplest way to open a stuck Klemmsia clamp is to simply tap the end of the metal bar on the floor. The hammering action and gravity will make the lower jaw let go after just a few taps. Works every time for me...

I made this - just a bolt, nut and washer + a piece of crudely shaped MDF. The head of the bolt presses down on your bridge caul. Does the job adequately.

Bridge clamp.jpg

After looking at Sven's building blog I think I'm gonna buy a couple of the "F-Hole" violin clamps that he shows clamping a bridge in several of his posts.

Stewmac has a set for $60, but found a place on the net that will let me purchase just the 4" for $7.50 each - so probably going to buy a couple of them. Anybody dealt w/"Pilgrims Projects" in Caledonia, MI ??

Tools & ukes - can't get enough!

I've dealt with them several times, but not in the last year. Price and service was very good.

Another very good source for clamps in different sizes is "The Adjustable Clamp Company". If you live in the US they will post to you, but anywhere else you have to go through Amazon sellers.

I use these little clamps. They have a deeper reach, but are pretty compact. Got them at the local hardware store.

Top Bottom