PDA

View Full Version : Ukulele Underground in the Pacific Northwest! (Washington, Oregon, NorCal)

Aldrine Guerrero
07-07-2011, 11:50 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rx6qWaIctXo

Current Schedule:
Oct. 7-8 (Fri/Sat) – EUGENE, OR. UKEtoberfest (http://uketoberfest.com/)! Aldrine will be around all day on both days, playing and holding workshops during the festival, so find us and hang out! Buy your tickets at http://uketoberfest.com/ (Eugene Faith Center, 1410 West 13th Avenue, Eugene, OR 97402)

Oct. 11 (Tue) – BEND, OR. The Sound Garden (http://thesoundgardenstudio.com/)! Aldrine will be teaching a workshop (6pm) and playing a live concert (7:30pm) at the Sound Garden Studio in Bend. (The Sound Garden, 1279 NE 2nd St., Bend, OR 97701)

Oct. 14 (Fri) – SEATTLE, WA. Dusty Strings (http://www.dustystrings.com/workshopsandevents/musicschool/workshops/ukulele/tabid/249/Default.aspx)! Aldrine will be doing two workshops at the Dusty Strings Store / Music School. Beginner Workshop 1-3pm, Intermediate/Advanced Workshop 3:30-5:30pm. Both workshops will be followed by a mini jam/concert! Check out http://dustystrings.com/ for more info! (Dusty Strings, 3406 Fremont Avenue North, Seattle, WA 98103-8812)

Oct. 16 (Sun) – TACOMA, WA. Ukulele Ohana (http://www.facebook.com/mondayukuleleohana?sk=info)! Aldrine will doing a workshop at Queen’s Closet in Lakewood from 4-5pm ($15). Then we’ll all be heading over to the Lakewood Elks Club Lodge for a Live Performance at 7pm ($18) (Elks Lodge, 6313 75th Street West, Tacoma, WA 98499-8369)

Oct. 17 (Mon) – TACOMA, WA. Monday Ukulele Ohana (http://www.facebook.com/mondayukuleleohana?sk=info) Meetup! Aldrine will be hanging out with the Monday Ukulele Ohana for their regular meetup at Queen’s Closet at 5:30pm! (Queen's Closet, 9614 40th Avenue Southwest, Lakewood, WA 98499-4302)

Aloha everyone!

We're starting to plan out our yearly tour and this year we decided to broaden our horizons and make our way up north. So anyone in the Oregon and Washington states, prepare yourself for UU!

This thread is simply to get some ideas from the local folks from those areas as far as where to do a show or have a workshop. Any nearby uke clubs that wanna host a night of UU? Venues in general. We know there's a bunch of you in that area! Help us come out to see you :D

The goal is to come during the month of October. So post your ideas and thought on this thread and let's make it happen!

IN0SKED
07-07-2011, 12:00 PM
Nice I'm from the aina and moved to seattle.. Can't wait!

Laguana_Kid_92
07-07-2011, 12:12 PM
I learned a lot from you! I'm living up in Washington, you should stop by the Lacey/Olympia area!!

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
07-07-2011, 12:14 PM
These are probably on the top of your NorCal Bay Area list but I'd suggest the Santa Cruz Ukulele Club of course and Mike DaSilva's shop. Also SUPA or Dusty Strings in Seattle.

musicmonsterw
07-07-2011, 12:15 PM
Would you consider making a trip to Vancouver, BC?? We have a thriving ukulele community. I"m sure we could set up something if you're interested. If you're able to come up, I could set the wheels in motion and find a workshop space and time for you. Also, I could find a place for you to perform if you want to. Please let me know what you would require.

The Vancouver Ukulele Circle has a large membership. I'm sure we could set aside a special UU evening if that's what you want.

Aldrine Guerrero
07-07-2011, 12:35 PM
Nice I'm from the aina and moved to seattle.. Can't wait!

Sweet! We're looking forward to making it up there as soon as we find a venue. Know of any place that has live music that could host us?

Aldrine Guerrero
07-07-2011, 12:36 PM
I learned a lot from you! I'm living up in Washington, you should stop by the Lacey/Olympia area!!

Awesome! Let us know if there's any uke clubs or venues that would host us and we'll try and find a way to make it to that area :D

Aldrine Guerrero
07-07-2011, 12:36 PM
These are probably on the top of your NorCal Bay Area list but I'd suggest the Santa Cruz Ukulele Club of course and Mike DaSilva's shop. Also SUPA or Dusty Strings in Seattle.

Dusty strings definitely and I'll try and contact the SUPA to see what their schedule is like. NorCal is still up in the air but it's always nice to play at Mike's

Aldrine Guerrero
07-07-2011, 12:37 PM
Would you consider making a trip to Vancouver, BC?? We have a thriving ukulele community. I"m sure we could set up something if you're interested. If you're able to come up, I could set the wheels in motion and find a workshop space and time for you. Also, I could find a place for you to perform if you want to. Please let me know what you would require.

The Vancouver Ukulele Circle has a large membership. I'm sure we could set aside a special UU evening if that's what you want.

Dude I'd love to go to Canada! I'll run it by the guys and see if it'll be possible :D

Uncle Rod Higuchi
07-07-2011, 12:45 PM
Hey Aldrine,

Check ( seattleukulele.org ) and contact John Leder at supafb@q.com.

John is our Chairman of the Board and we have a monthly site (Phinney Neighborhood)
which can easily host a UU event.

Hope to see you in Oct, and even sooner at the Uke Fest at Kapiolani park on the 17th!

Keep uke'in',

Oh, and bring UU stickers!

musicmonsterw
07-07-2011, 12:49 PM
Dude I'd love to go to Canada! I'll run it by the guys and see if it'll be possible :D

Awesome! Very awesome! ....fingers crossed....

tattwo
07-07-2011, 01:01 PM
http://uketoberfest.com/ Its a great time!

Kanaka916
07-07-2011, 01:18 PM
What you mean NorCal still in da air! Always been a ritual . . .

joeybug
07-07-2011, 01:56 PM
Sounds like fun! One day I will be State-side and manage to catch you all in person, live and everything!

Hogger
07-07-2011, 02:25 PM
You should come to the hot and dry east side.
Come to Kennewick, WA. And come to Ted Brown music. Then do a show at Tagaris Winery.

Aldrine Guerrero
07-07-2011, 02:29 PM
What you mean NorCal still in da air! Always been a ritual . . .

hahah jus fo you we going try make em den

uhdad77
07-07-2011, 03:06 PM
In NORCAL, what about the Cue in Concord? Patrick Landeza has been hosting some great Hawaiian performer these past few months. Lots of slack key and ukulele acts. Usually at least one, sometimes more, each month. The venue holds about 100+, and is a great place to catch a show.

His website is http://www.landezapresents.com/

alanjang
07-07-2011, 05:12 PM
I second a visit to NCal and the Cue. Would love to see you in the 925 Aldrine!

Boozelele
07-07-2011, 05:50 PM
I seem to recall knowing someone that lives in Portland....hmmm.....trying to remember...damn....I'm wasted.

hapuna
07-07-2011, 07:02 PM
Aldrine we definitely need to get you somewhere in the Tacoma/Olympia area. I know folks from 2 groups there Monday Ukulele Ohana and OLUPA. There is a lot of interest and we can make it happen. Let me make some contacts and we'll get back to you

ukunuke
07-07-2011, 07:25 PM
You should come to the hot and dry east side.
Come to Kennewick, WA. And come to Ted Brown music. Then do a show at Tagaris Winery.

I'm in with Hogger. Stop by the Tri-Cities (Richland, Pasco, Kennewick) - Ted Brown Music would be a great host, and Bookwalter Winery is always looking to book some talent. We've got sunshine and lots and lots of wine. All we need now is you guys and some ukes. Seriously, if you'd be willing to swing by for a show, let me know. I can contact some of the local Wineries, as well as the TC Social Club, and see if we can get something going.

Dougf
07-07-2011, 07:54 PM
NCal YES! Just name the venue, I'll be there :)

bbycrts
07-07-2011, 07:58 PM
I seem to recall knowing someone that lives in Portland....hmmm.....trying to remember...damn....I'm wasted.

I've heard there's a boozer there...

But I'm here, too...and how could you not come and visit your most prolific PoHo?

Artichoke Music in Portland is probably a good place to check for venues - I don't know well enough myself, but they probably would. There's the Portland Ukulele Association as well. Marianne Brogan there is probably the area's number one uke advocate.

Jim D'Ville lived here for a while and performed with a group - I'm sure he would know some venues - he's posting here around UU these days.

And then there's always just dropping by the House of the Carrots to say hi...

Mouthy1
07-07-2011, 08:56 PM
Hey A.G., come by Dusty Strings AND SUPA. Doesn't matter, we all have our own cars here in WA so we can drive to you. You tell us where and when! Hey, bring some more shirts, I am really happy with the Size L. :)

Aldrine Guerrero
07-08-2011, 09:08 AM

No worries man I had you in mind. Do you know of any venues we could possibly do a show/meet up in?

Aldrine Guerrero
07-08-2011, 09:09 AM
http://uketoberfest.com/ Its a great time!

I emailed them yesterday but the main coordinators are out for the week. I won't get a response till then.
Still... it wouldn't hurt if we get a little push from the general public ;)

Aldrine Guerrero
07-08-2011, 09:10 AM
I'm in with Hogger. Stop by the Tri-Cities (Richland, Pasco, Kennewick) - Ted Brown Music would be a great host, and Bookwalter Winery is always looking to book some talent. We've got sunshine and lots and lots of wine. All we need now is you guys and some ukes. Seriously, if you'd be willing to swing by for a show, let me know. I can contact some of the local Wineries, as well as the TC Social Club, and see if we can get something going.

If you can contact them that'd be great! Just tell them to email me at aldrinemusic@gmail.com or if not then you can send me their contact info and I'll try and contact them as well. Thanks so much! We really appreciate the love and help :D

Aldrine Guerrero
07-08-2011, 09:11 AM
Aldrine we definitely need to get you somewhere in the Tacoma/Olympia area. I know folks from 2 groups there Monday Ukulele Ohana and OLUPA. There is a lot of interest and we can make it happen. Let me make some contacts and we'll get back to you

Sweet! Lemme know. Forward the email to me at aldrinemusic@gmail.com
Let's make it happen! Hahaha

Aldrine Guerrero
07-08-2011, 09:11 AM
In NORCAL, what about the Cue in Concord? Patrick Landeza has been hosting some great Hawaiian performer these past few months. Lots of slack key and ukulele acts. Usually at least one, sometimes more, each month. The venue holds about 100+, and is a great place to catch a show.

His website is http://www.landezapresents.com/

Awesome! Once we figure out the dates and locations I'll try and contact them :D Thanks!

Aldrine Guerrero
07-08-2011, 09:13 AM
Hey Aldrine,

Check ( seattleukulele.org ) and contact John Leder at supafb@q.com.

John is our Chairman of the Board and we have a monthly site (Phinney Neighborhood)
which can easily host a UU event.

Hope to see you in Oct, and even sooner at the Uke Fest at Kapiolani park on the 17th!

Keep uke'in',

Oh, and bring UU stickers!

Awesome uncle Rod! I don't think I'm gonna make it to the big festival on Oahu. I'm performing here on Kauai for the Kauai Music Festival. It would be weird to be a K-Town hero without putting the hometown first hahaha.

I'll contact John and try to set something up. Thanks so much! :3

amute
07-08-2011, 10:47 AM
By "NorCal" y'all thinking San Fransisco or Sacramento?

deadpool
07-08-2011, 11:15 AM
My old (ex?) mandolin instructor plays brazilian music in Portland at a venue called Secret Society Ballroom located at 116 NE Russel St. That could be a potential spot for a concert and/or meet up in Portland. In Seattle there are a bunch of places - Dusty Strings, Empty Sea Studios, etc. that could accomodate. I will definitely attend either Portland or Seattle.

tattwo
07-08-2011, 12:29 PM
I emailed them yesterday but the main coordinators are out for the week. I won't get a response till then.
Still... it wouldn't hurt if we get a little push from the general public ;)

Im ON IT!! ;)

Kanaka916
07-08-2011, 03:20 PM
By "NorCal" y'all thinking San Fransisco or Sacramento?
More than likely, San Francisco. Easier for me to take the night off and drive down to DaSilva's in Berkley.

mealfrog41
07-10-2011, 08:40 AM
Aldrine, I book my band all over Seattle and have connections to pretty much any venue you would want to play here. Dusty Strings would absolutely be the best place for a workshop, but if you or K-town Heroes want to play a legitimate live music venue I would be more than happy to find you a gig. PM me with the best way to contact you and we can put something together.

Rick
07-10-2011, 11:21 AM
Finally! A trip my way! I'm so going to the PNW shows and or workshops!

papplehead
07-10-2011, 12:41 PM
You should definitely come to Monday Ukulele Ohana (MUO) in Tacoma Washington. There are consistently a lot of people who come from all around and are eager and willing to learn. Try contact Ray at the Queens Closet. He's the one who sets everything up and would be able to provide the space. More info on this page http://www.facebook.com/mondayukuleleohana

Aldrine Guerrero
07-10-2011, 04:18 PM
Aldrine, I book my band all over Seattle and have connections to pretty much any venue you would want to play here. Dusty Strings would absolutely be the best place for a workshop, but if you or K-town Heroes want to play a legitimate live music venue I would be more than happy to find you a gig. PM me with the best way to contact you and we can put something together.

Best way to contact us is through email. aldrine@ukuleleunderground.com
Let us know man! Thanks

Aldrine Guerrero
07-10-2011, 04:18 PM
You should definitely come to Monday Ukulele Ohana (MUO) in Tacoma Washington. There are consistently a lot of people who come from all around and are eager and willing to learn. Try contact Ray at the Queens Closet. He's the one who sets everything up and would be able to provide the space. More info on this page http://www.facebook.com/mondayukuleleohana

I'll check them out and we'll see where it goes from there :D

hapuna
07-11-2011, 07:37 AM
I'll check them out and we'll see where it goes from there :D
As promised I have already contacted Ray about this and he is gathering some basic info and will be contacting you at the email you gave me. I think they are looking at a nice venue for a concert as well as some workshop space. He should be back to you this week.

crowsby
07-15-2011, 01:18 PM
My old (ex?) mandolin instructor plays brazilian music in Portland at a venue called Secret Society Ballroom located at 116 NE Russel St. That could be a potential spot for a concert and/or meet up in Portland.

I've been there, it's a fun little space that would probably work well for around 20-30ish people. It used to be an old fraternal society meeting hall. Actually saw a ukulele orchestra play there too. :)

mendel
07-15-2011, 02:56 PM
Any chance you'll hit the East Coast!?!? I teach at a high school and I'd love to get you guys in to play once we start school again!!!!

gyosh
07-26-2011, 07:05 AM
What about San Jose? There's a Ukulele Source store in Japan-town that has been coordinating meet ups. The owner is Smiley Kai.

Bustaumbe
07-29-2011, 03:30 AM
Come on now you know you gotta roll through Aloha, Oregon.

uhdad77
08-11-2011, 04:01 AM
I hear that Mike DaSilva is closing up his shop, so you might need to find an alternative location for the Bay Area.

Kanaka916
08-11-2011, 04:14 AM
I hear that Mike DaSilva is closing up his shop, so you might need to find an alternative location for the Bay Area.
Checked his website, he has classes scheduled through Dec of this year. I'm sure if something came up, Mike would've posted it on the site. But then again . . .

tjduck
08-12-2011, 12:42 PM
We have a thriving uke community in Bellingham, 90 miles North of Seattle. Contact BUG (www.BellinghamUkuleleGroup.com) to arrange workshops or concerts; we had Ralph Shaw last year. We would love a visit!

Aldrine Guerrero
08-18-2011, 10:02 AM
Sorry for the long hiatus everyone! I've contacted a few people and we have a couple that are considering.
We managed to book Uketoberfest in Eugene and we're trying to get artichoke music in Portland and also Dusty strings in Seattle.

Keep your fingers crossed! We'll have answers for you guys by this weekend :D

Ukulele Roots
08-20-2011, 11:01 AM
Where can we buy tickets?

tomaasbark
08-21-2011, 04:19 PM
Would you consider traveling from Vancouver, BC? We have a thriving community ukulele. I 'm sure we could create something if you're interested. If you can come up with, that I could set the wheels in motion and find a space laboratory and the time for you. I've also been able to find a place for you if you want to do. Tell me what you need. Vancouver Ukulele Circle is a membership. I'm sure we could book a special night UU if you wish.

Aldrine Guerrero
08-23-2011, 11:38 AM
UPDATE!

MORE Pacific NW tour updates!
Portland Oregon! We're still waiting on Artichoke music and I also recently contacted Portland Ukulele Association (via Marianne Brogan). If anyone is tied to these people, please let them know that we're trying to contact them :D Keep your fingers crossed everyone!

Aldrine Guerrero
08-23-2011, 11:39 AM
Once we have the dates and locations, I'll post all the info up on the first post :D

Aldrine Guerrero
08-23-2011, 11:39 AM
Ryan needs to get his passport. We'll definitely let you know if we do :D

Aldrine Guerrero
08-23-2011, 12:11 PM
updated the first post! :D Spread the word guys, the dates are getting neaaaaarrrrrr

hapuna
08-25-2011, 06:23 PM
Hope to see tacoma on there cause we have a whole bunch of folks counting on you.....

Joko
08-29-2011, 07:49 PM
I'm on the north side of Seattle, but really have nothing to suggest in terms of venues other than open mic nights.

Please keep us informed. I'd enjoy hearing you play and hopefully meeting you and the crew.

-Joko

hapuna
08-30-2011, 08:38 AM
I'm on the north side of Seattle, but really have nothing to suggest in terms of venues other than open mic nights.

Please keep us informed. I'd enjoy hearing you play and hopefully meeting you and the crew.

-Joko

Dusty Strings should work for you if Aldrine can make it happen there(and I don't see why it can't).

cya02
09-01-2011, 01:23 PM
im really hoping for a seattle show. hopefully at dusty strings!

kbarr
09-06-2011, 09:14 PM
Come on down to Japantown in san jose!!! theres all kinds of ukers over here!!

bigworld
09-14-2011, 06:34 PM
Sounds like fun! One day I will be State-side and manage to catch you all in person, live and everything! Coach Bags (http://www.coachpursesreviews.com/)coach outlet (http://www.coachoutletreviews.com)

musicmonsterw
09-22-2011, 09:12 AM
I'm driving in from Vancouver to see you at Dusty Strings in Seattle. Looking forward to it!

timmo
10-03-2011, 10:28 AM
I am hurt that the Pacific Northwest does not include Alaska. We are even part of the continent. :D:)

Aldrine Guerrero
10-04-2011, 08:14 AM
Details are updated in the OP.
Also, I made a new thread regarding the soundgarden since it's a new venue added on to the list of shows.
:D

hapuna
10-05-2011, 10:03 AM
OK I'm sure I should know this but what is the "OP"?

markallen
10-10-2011, 06:50 AM
Just signed up for both workshops at Dusty Strings this Friday. Looking forward to the adventure!!
Cheers,
Mark

Mouthy1
10-14-2011, 08:46 PM
Great job guys. Lots of fun at Dusty Strings. Hell, I even got some great ideas and two shirts.

cashmoney805
11-10-2011, 08:28 AM
OK I'm sure I should know this but what is the "OP"?
original poster

hapuna
11-10-2011, 06:47 PM
Mahalo cashmoney