Tenor Guitar

bcargen

Reaction score
I am currently learning to play tenor guitar. Since I currently play tenor ukulele and banjo-uke, both tuned gcea (high g), I've decided to stick with the gcea tuning, but using low g, rather than high g on the guitar. I would really like to hear from anyone who has similar experience. I am finding it very difficult to find online music, instruction, etc., which specifically addresses the tenor guitar, especially when tuned gcea (low or high g). Uke minutes and Uke Underground seem to come closest to what I'm looking for, but are still VERY limited. I would really like to stick with the gcea tuning so I don't have to learn all new chord forms, etc., and would also like to hear from anyone who switches from the traditional tenor uke tuning to the traditional tenor guitar tuning on an ongoing basis. Any and all ideas would be appreciated. Bob

I'm the very proud owner of a David Hodson tenor guitar which I play about as much as ukulele. Don't know that many chords for it but can play tunes by ear rather well. I find it easy to switch between instruments as they feel and sound so different, even though they have the same number of strings :)

I remember this tenor guitar!

images

From my checking on the tenor guitar it seems the ukulele tuning is not common. I presume you checked out www.tenorguitar.com Looked like there was quite a bit of info there.

...I would really like to stick with the gcea tuning so I don't have to learn all new chord forms, etc....
You don't need to learn new chord forms. Use the same shapes. It's just like playing a baritone uke: play the shapes and ignore the name (unless you're playing with others - even then you already know the shapes, just need new names for them).

I've got a really nice Tenor guitar made by a company called Ozark.
Got mine tuned to DGBE (baritone uke) tuning, simply using DGBE strings from an acoustic guitar set.

If you use the right strings, you could probably tune it to GCEA an octave low.

It's a really nice instrument, when I want the depth and loudness of an acoustic guitar but with 4 strings rather than 6.
I've used it in one video so far, for accompanyment. But it is capable of so much more :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bz9v3MkUGUk

I LOVE that video! :love:

Old thread I know. But in the interest of getting proper info out there, here is a chart for tenor guitar tunings/string guages. Note the Ukulele tunings do not have to be tuned down an octave. I have an electric tenor tuned GCEA with the proper string gauges and it works just fine.
I'll have an acoustic tenor soon and will do the same thing.
Another option would be to string it for DGBE baritone tuning and capo at 5th fret (GCEA) giving you the option of either tuning by attaching or removing the capo.

Tenor String Chart.jpg

I've had a steel string tenor guitar for a while, tuned DGBE (same chord shapes as GCEA tuning, but different names; for example, a C on a GCEA tuned instrument is a G on a DGBE tuned instrument). I like it because it sounds more like a guitar than even a baritone ukulele and I can play it without learning new chord shapes. I also have a baritone uke tuned octave-lower GCEA, using classical guitar strings. It has a great low voice. I use the same resources I use for ukuleles, given that the chord shapes are the same the way my tenor guitar is tuned. Chordie.com is a good resource because it allows you to pick the instrument (4 or 6 strings) and the tuning.

Ian, what is that sweet-looking reso tenor guitar on the left?

That's a solid-metal tenor reso made by Gibson for Mike Soares. He made only 12, I understand from comments on the tenor guitar registry mailing list. You can see some of his stuff here:

soaresyguitars.com/

and here:

www.vintagetenorguitars.com/soaresy.htm

It's heavy (all-metal body). Nice sound, well made. I am planning to sell it to help finance the purchase of a ukulele...

Check out the tenor guitar registry, a Yahoo group.

PS. Anyone here play a tenor reso?

I have a 1930's Regal reso-tenor (wood body, spider cone) which I love, and a Republic metal-bodied biscuit-style that I like a lot as well. Very different sounds with the two different cones. I have both tuned GDAE/GDAD. I probably won't keep the Republic but it's hard to part with. (The Regal will probably go to the grave with me!).

Really cool - thanks Ian!

That's a solid-metal tenor reso made by Gibson for Mike Soares. He made only 12, I understand from comments on the tenor guitar registry mailing list. You can see some of his stuff here:

soaresyguitars.com/

and here:

www.vintagetenorguitars.com/soaresy.htm

It's heavy (all-metal body). Nice sound, well made. I am planning to sell it to help finance the purchase of a ukulele...

Check out the tenor guitar registry, a Yahoo group.

Have a Blueridge BR-40T that I got in a trade for a mandolin. Have it, a tenor banjo, the mandolins and the ukuleles all tuned GDAE. When I started 4-string (which a mandolin really is) it was with GDAE. as time went by and more 4-string stuff joined the stable, GDAE was easier than messing with a bunch of different chord patterns. For the heck of it may put nylon strings on the BR-40T in the next week or so just to hear what it sounds like with them.

I have several tenor guitars, I much prefer the standard tuning that the tenor was designed to play.. CGDA.
I play tenor banjo in GDAE, same chord shapes different sound.
In fact both have easy to learn basic chords so give CGDA a go if you have a tenor guitar.
Here is my restored 1962 Harmony.

imagejpg1-13.jpg

Top Bottom