UWC - Ukes That Made The Trip

Uke Whisperer

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm sure most of us have seen the photos and videos taken at this year's UWC (and some during travel to/from). Appears a great time was had by all.

It would be interesting to me and (I would think) to others to know what brand and model Ukes made the trip. Hopefully none of the Ukes sustained damage from changes in temperature, humidity, general weather conditions, etc. Any "lessons learned" or special precautions taken?

I brought my less than a year old Moore Bettah. It's my everyday ukulele, so I saw no reason to keep it at home. Plus I knew people would want to see and try it out. It was fine. I did pretty much leave it in the case -- with humidifiers (!) -- if it wasn't being played.

It's incredible to see many different types of ukuleles.

This would interest me as well, haven't yet made it to a festival, maybe 2012, but nice to hear about all the Ukes that made the trip :D

I took my Firefly banjo uke and my Mainland mahogany soprano. My lesson learned was that it was cooler under an 'easy up' tent than in my zipped up tent, so I should have left my ukes simply in the shade under the easy up instead of in the tent when I went into town. But my ukes did just fine!

KoAloha longneck soprano and Mainland mango tenor. Both ukes are fine, though it was a little humid and sticky out so I gave them a good rub down with some Renaissance wax when I got home.

What really surprised me was the number of folks who left fairly nice ukes laying in the grass, without a case, in the dark. I almost stepped on one - saw it just in time. After that I went and got my little flashlight from the car so I wouldn't be walking on ukes!

John

I felt bad for not bringing one my Mainlands. I wasn't thinking..

Mainland Mahogany Tenor I won last year at UWC and my Ohana Sopranino for peeps to sign. Carried the Sopranino in my carry-on bag and took my Mainland in my Freemont case. No problem traveling on four different planes with both ukes....even got on one early because I had an instrument to store and might need extra room.

Thanks "y'all". Hope we here from more!

Ref: What really surprised me was the number of folks who left fairly nice ukes laying in the grass, without a case, in the dark. I almost stepped on one - saw it just in time. After that I went and got my little flashlight from the car so I wouldn't be walking on ukes!

John, I picture you tiptoeing through the tulips with your little flashlight in-hand!

Took two of my Mya-Moe: myrtle super soprano and chocolate heart mango tenor, my LoPrinzi mahogany Nova concert, which seemed to get the most attention and my Mainland Chile Pepper. All survived without any difficulty. Kept in case when not in use by me or someone else. A few more made the trip but stayed in the motel room. One found a new home.

Took Blanket, my sopranino in Honey, my miniBindle (portable amp/PA system) and got my Lanikai 8-string that I had purchased from Mim while I was there. Both did very well, even the 8-string, which stuck to my sweaty bod, it was so hot, with no damage.

Next year, if I can wait that long, I'm seeing a Mainland Baritone or tenor in my future...

I brought a frog rasp . a Sailor soprano and brought back heaps of Mainlands. Played a Mainland Gecko on stage once too. What a grand time! Got to play frog in Jenny and the Captains which featured 2 ukes, 1 melodica , 1 frog and cheese!!!

I took my humble little Koloa soprano...pretty nice solid mahogany uke for $85...I would've brought my Kanile'a soprano, but it's going to be on the market in a few days to fund my purchase of a custom super soprano...

I brought a frog rasp . a Sailor soprano and brought back heaps of Mainlands. Played a Mainland Gecko on stage once too. What a grand time! Got to play frog in Jenny and the Captains which featured 2 ukes, 1 melodica , 1 frog and cheese!!!

That was one loud frog, too! Do you sell those?

John

I played a large. The extra large has more bass, funny talking frogs. Not sure on the melodicas about brass but they sound good and I get good feedback on them.
I'm waiting for the extra small frogs. Gotta love frogs.Thinking of starting a frog forum:)

Top Bottom