Semi-hard/Soft case for a Kamaka Pineapple (HP-1)

redBee

Reaction score
I'd recommend calling Kamaka to ask them. Somewhere I read that they recommend the Protec cases but I don't have one. For my pineapple, I ordered a hard case via Kamaka - shipping cost as much as the case, but at least it fits :)

I'd recommend calling Kamaka to ask them. Somewhere I read that they recommend the Protec cases but I don't have one. For my pineapple, I ordered a hard case via Kamaka - shipping cost as much as the case, but at least it fits :)

Good idea... If they are recommending it, I suppose they have one that fits the pineapple. (By the way, I am loving my new pineapple. Not so fond of the original Kamaka strings though. I got used to play on Worth Medium Browns).
I got the original case with it. Although it seems to offer a lot of protection, I wanted something lighter and with a strap to wear it like a backpack.

I got a tenor size Protec case and it is heavy as hell...

Oh, I thought that one advantage of getting a Protec was that it was light?
Well I guess it is a trade-off between weight and protection... I hope soprano cases are not that heavy.
I am planning to wear it like a backpack so I can carry it while riding a bike.

Not so fond of the original Kamaka strings though. I got used to play on Worth Medium Browns).

I highly recommend Martin M600s if you can get hold of some.

And I know what you mean about the original cases being on the heavy side. Sometimes I think the only reason I have a car is to transport my ukulele cases around, since they're all heavier than the ukes themselves! :)

Oh, I thought that one advantage of getting a Protec was that it was light?
Well I guess it is a trade-off between weight and protection... I hope soprano cases are not that heavy.
I am planning to wear it like a backpack so I can carry it while riding a bike.

I don't have an HP-1, BUT just checked w/my vintage Kamaka pineapple in the Protec soprano case that I happen to have. It WILL NOT fit. The case is clearly meant for a figure-8 uke & the relatively thin cushiony lining inside over a fairly rigid dense foam makes it a no go - I think that you need to measure the HP-1 across its widest point, but I really don't think it would fit.

As to weight?? I have one of the "Uke Crazy" foam cases as well & while the Protec is heavier than that case, it is considerably lighter than my Ko'olau soprano case or the Guardian or Tweed case that I have my Kamaka in...

Thanks for the tip Gmoney. I was afraid that it would have the 8 figure shape. It seems that the old cases have a more generic shape. I think I will compare with other cases too. It fit inside a "Steady" case that I have, but it feels too soft to offer enough protection.

I have been looking around for a good hard case for my Kamaka pineapple and for my Favilla teardrop uke. I have heard that the Stagg tweed covered case in soprano size isn't figure 8 shaped but will work with most pineapple shaped uke's. Unfortunately I haven't held one in my hands to see if it will work. Does anyone know if that is true? Here is a link where they can be had pretty cheap....http://www.austinbazaar.com/Stagg-Deluxe-Gold-Tweed-Case-for-Ukuleles-p/sta-gcx-ukgold.htm

I have heard that the Stagg tweed covered case in soprano size isn't figure 8 shaped but will work with most pineapple shaped uke's.

I *had* one of those cases for the longest time but nothing ever fit in it! So I gave it away to, you guessed it, a Favilla owner (and that fit perfectly).

FWIW, my Kamaka soprano figure-8 did not fit in the Stagg case. My Kamaka cases for the pineapple and the figure-8 are exactly the same, which makes me suspect the pineapple wouldn't fit in the Stagg case either.

I *had* one of those cases for the longest time but nothing ever fit in it! So I gave it away to, you guessed it, a Favilla owner (and that fit perfectly).

So, did it fit a regular Favilla Soprano or a Favilla Teardrop?

Thanks!!

I am not sure about the fit for a pineapple. I have a ProTec case for my Kamaka tenor and like mmstan said it is a little heavy but it is a great case - lots of protection.

I have been looking around for a good hard case for my Kamaka pineapple and for my Favilla teardrop uke. I have heard that the Stagg tweed covered case in soprano size isn't figure 8 shaped but will work with most pineapple shaped uke's. Unfortunately I haven't held one in my hands to see if it will work. Does anyone know if that is true? Here is a link where they can be had pretty cheap....http://www.austinbazaar.com/Stagg-Deluxe-Gold-Tweed-Case-for-Ukuleles-p/sta-gcx-ukgold.htm

I have that Stagg case & my vintage Kamaka pineapple fits like a glove in it. Pretty much perfect fit. Inside measurements in inches are:

length: 21 1/4
lower bout: 9 1/4
neck support to headstock: 11
Body depth: 2 1/2

WP_000235 (2).jpg

NOTE: I had to modify the neck support by removing it & cutting it down considerably - I don't know what it is about these cases - it appears that they were made for paper ukes w/1/2 inch
thick necks!

Thank you both so much!!! The measurements and picture are SUPER helpful.

Janeray....your link doesn't work. I'm interested to see what it was!

Thank you both so much!!! The measurements and picture are SUPER helpful.

Janeray....your link doesn't work. I'm interested to see what it was!

Sorry about that, it worked last night. Should have just linked to this one instead. Blue teardrop!

Top Bottom