Fret Leveling Under String Tension

What about re-crowning the frets after you level them?

Dan

I do this all the time on guitars and electric basses, but I do it with a length of "L" shaped aluminum molding with self stick sandpaper. You can pick up some 1/2" x 1/2" molding aluminum with about a 1/16" wall thickness at just about any hardware store, and cut it to convenient lengths. It slips right under the strings, and I just move it from one string to the next as needed. It's great for finding and dealing with problem spots.

Once the instrument plays well enough, I take off the strings and crown and polish the frets.

I don't see it being needed with ukes for exactly the reason Chuck mentioned. Uke necks just shouldn't move around enough to be an issue. Guitar and bass necks are different and can pull into less than ideal relief.

Doesn't make sense to me. Leveling frets is to knock down the high frets to eliminate buzzing. Any bowing or neck relief caused by string tension would naturally reduce buzzing problems....you get a little extra clearance above the frets up the neck. Leveling the frets with the neck bow would actually make buzzing problems worse!! Maybe this thing has neck relief built into it but its so trivial that no one could tell.

You must not have worked on many guitars or electric basses. String buzz can be very localized for any number of reasons. Leveling under tension works very well on problem necks.

Top Bottom