The NEW Nylguts

Pippin

Reaction score
Okay Ladies and Gents...

I received a CASE of new Nylguts from Mimmo of Aquila. This weekend, I'll be stringing up a BUNCH of ukes and doing some video tests to give everyone in idea of what these things can do for your uke of choice.

One thing I can say already. I did string up one uke last night... I just had a short time before dinner...

On the Oscar Schmidt OU280SWK, their top-of-the-line, solid Hawaiian Koa concert uke, the strings went on quickly. I cranked forever to get them to concert pitch, then, they settled into place and held tune much faster than the old Nylguts. I did not experience any squeaking with the strings. Of course, I did not get much time on the uke when the "pizza" arrived and my wife dragged me to the table.

So... at very first impression... they stretch a lot less and settle a lot faster. They are not as "milky" in color. They don't squeek as much. They sounded great.

I also have a lot of their "bio" strings here and will be testing those on a few ukes as well.

The new Ohana "Vita" reproduction will be here this afternoon and I'll be putting new Aquila strings on that uke, too.

Videos will start going up this weekend.

Last edited:
I look forward to the video reviews, would love to hear how they sound compared to the OLD Nylguts... :D

New Vita??? Did they change it?

No, didn't change it at all... The one that they gave me for review I gave to an instructor that teaches a lot of people. He also recommends Ohana ukes for the students.

They are great-I love mine and I can safely say the coolest thing about it is how light it is (well, tone is great too...esp. for a banjo uke? all spruce top collection guy).
OK- back to strings- hopefully you will post some sound clips of the new Aquila's? I am figuring we will all have them sooner or later (they are switching them all to the new right?) but it is nice to know what I am buying if they are different.
Thanks for all the efforts on the Magazine- it is the best!

I am also pleased with them on my Luna concert and my dolphin, so far the only two that I have them on. Not sure if they came on my daughter's dolphin or not. However I agree they did settle faster and sound great too.

I bought a boat load of them myself a few weeks ago. Been putting them on my my Düks. So far I really like them better than the original nylguts..

Yes, I will be posting some videos this weekend if everything goes as planned. Right now, I am waiting for UPS to bring the VITA uke reproduction from Ohana.

I also have a lot of their "bio" strings here and will be testing those on a few ukes as well.

I've got the Bionylons on my Kiwaya K-Wave. They sounded fine except that the wound low G was booming on chords with an open G string. I tried replacing the G string with a D'Addario classical guitar string, and it boomed the same way, so I'm attributing this to the uke and not the strings. (The D'Addario doesn't sound booming on my Kawika tenor.)

After my earlier rant about being done with Nylguts, the small family run music store I work in went and ordered some of the new Nylguts. Being that I get them for cost I did pick up a set. I have yet to try them as I had just changed most of the ukes to some other brand and like them all better than the original ones. The new ones will be a part of my next string change and I'll share my opinion vs. the old ones.

so will the Classic Nylaguts be still available after the new ones saturate the market? Or, are they history?

I'm very happy with the new Nylguts. I have them on my solid mahogany Koloa uke - they are a great fit, and I love the new feel. Good bye squeaky strings!

I look forward to your impressions of them. I got a few dozen sets in my last order and they came in a new dark brown envelope instead of the light colored packaging I'm used to. I put them aside to mess with at another time. I'll let you try them before I string 'em. :)

Top Bottom