Whats the best / favorite uke you own?

rayan

Ukulele Underground Staff
UU+
Reaction score
Just curious, whats the best or favorite ukulele you own? Mine has to be my, and by my I mean my mom's, concert Kamaka from the 90s. It has a crack in it because my brother sat on it (doh!) but it still sounds and plays great.

Although, I only own 4 ukes now, I have to say my favorite is a Tangi 4-string 2-puka tenor. Beautiful construction. Its a blonde koa wood with a dark mahogany neck and aquila strings.

I've grown quite attached to my eleuke, honestly. Possibly only because it's the odd man out in my collection: the only tenor, the only solid-body, the only electric, and the only one with a low G. Oh, and it's the only one that cost more than two hundred, so I BETTER like it.

Of the others, honestly, and I kind of hate to say it, but the one that I most enjoy playing is my first one, my Kala KA-S.

I hope to get more into my banjo uke once I get it fixed up... And I wanna try ichadwick's trick with the strings on my resonator, and see if that gets me playing it more often.

My favorite has to be my Kanilea Tenor.

DSC_0255.jpg

my koaloha tenor is my fave. but after playing aldrine's kamaka, i decided to get my grandpa's 40+yo kamaka tenor restored and upgraded.

Wow. Tough question. That's ile asking which of my cats is my favourite, or which New Zealand wine do I like. Or worse, what's my favourite tequila? Each has its own special time and place...

For sitting on the porch with a glass of wine or knocking around the house practicing, my tenor Fluke.

For more serious practice and my attempts to be musical, my cedar-topped tenor Pono.

For playing through my amp and making electric noise with special effects, my Applause tenor.

For simple delight late at night when SUsan's upstairs reading and I'm in the living room playing softly and want a bright, sweet sound: my Kala spruce top tenor.

My Kanile'a Concert. I have customised it by adding rosewood bridge pins.

Attachments

• IMG_3018.jpg
    IMG_3018.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 45
rosewood bridge pins
Funky!

Although my "main uke" is a Fluke at the moment, I am having a lot of fun with a bottom-of-the-line Famous (Kiwaya) soprano uke made out of bubinga (probably $100 in the '90s). It was very ugly orange-brownish with a thick coating, but when I sanded and redid it with a bit of 100-yen spray laqcuer the grain came out very nice! It has a raspy voice, and I got it for free so it goes into the bag, rucksack or bicycle basket "naked", and I even stuck it in a deep pocket upside down once.

I am waiting for the first policeman/woman to ticket me on my bicycle for DWU: Driving While Uke-xicated. Very relaxing to play a tune while navigating the headless-chicken Japanese traffic.

Vintage Martin 3K (soprano.)

My favorite ukulele by a wide margin is the William King long-scale tenor. For me, it's pretty much perfect (unfortunately, that has not translated to the end of UAS for me...:p).

330724254.jpg

330724247.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom