WTB: Mainland, Ohana, or Bushman Jenny, or any solid wood concert for under $200

ahgnuyen

Reaction score
I've been looking to upgrade for a while and I've come up with these preferences. The members here have nothing but good things to say about the Mainlands and Ohanas, and it was recommended, so I figured it was my best bet. I also had my eye on the Bushman Jenny, but their website is down, so if anybody has one (a cutaway model would be nice, too) for under $200, I'd love to buy it. Thanks!

If you're looking for a tenor size, how about this Mainland mahogany with cutaway? It's over 200, but it's worth it.
tenor%20cut%20away2.jpg

Thanks for the reply! I was eyeing that (it's beautiful!) but unfortunately, it's my parents' decision to stay under $200, so I can't go over. Haha.

Uke Republic has the Mainland Mahogany Concert on sale for $209. Would they go for $9 over? It Is here:

http://ukerepublic.bigcartel.com/product/mainland-ukes-classic-mahogany-gloss-concert

I have it and got it there. I love it.

I'm new; this is my first good uke so I don't have much else to suggest.

But you could say that this one is set up professionally and will play better and also comes with excellent and expensive strings, which is not the case for most ukes you buy. It also allows for various tuning peg options which is also usually not a choice.

Last edited:
I should expand on getting the uke set up before you get it.

My first ukulele wasn't set up; I got it direct from the factory and even when it was in tune the chords didn't sound right because the string heights were messed up and the notes were wrong when different frets were pressed. I knew in theory how to fix it but I was afraid to try it. It involves sanding the bridge and the nut usually.

That's when I bought the Mainland and that's been a joy to play. I haven't had any problems with the set up.

Last edited:
Well, then there's shipping and the fact that he'll need a case of some kind for it.

I wouldn't give up on that $209 mainland at Uke Republic until you've called and seen what kind of deal you could get. He sure likes his customers...have heard of some amazing package deals!!!!!!! Sometimes it's cheaper to pay a tiny bit more....get a great uke, great setup, backed up by a great company, etc. etc.

If it's definately a no go, and you can wait, he carries the Ohana CK25, an all solid mahogany concert for $179 I think, maybe up to $189. Again, call! Also call Mainland and see if they have any "seconds". Some guys here have gotten amazing deals that way too. Small flaw, almost can't even find it most times.

Last edited:
I wouldn't give up on that $209 mainland at Uke Republic until you've called and seen what kind of deal you could get. He sure likes his customers...have heard of some amazing package deals!!!!!!! Sometimes it's cheaper to pay a tiny bit more....get a great uke, great setup, backed up by a great company, etc. etc.
Well, if it's a birthday present or such and $200 is his parents' budget, he could always offer to kick in the difference. But I have heard of parents who set limits on what their kids can spend, even if it's their own money.

I agree it'd be a shame to lose out on a nicer uke for a few niggling bucks.

Ah, thanks for all the info, guys! I did find the Mainland classic mahogany on Uke Republic, but shipping bumps it up to about $230. I couldn't find the Ohana CK35 in gloss, only satin (I really wanted gloss). They do have the SK35, but I want a concert. So either, I'll try to sway my parents on the Mainland, or just go with the $175 Ohana soprano (which comes with a case). I'll tell yall how it goes! Thanks everyone!

Last edited:
I decided to go with the Ohana SK35G! Sooooo excited!! Thanks for all the help guys! :)

Actually I wasn't charged anything for shipping when I bought mine from Uke Republic. Not sure if that is always the case or if it was because I was also buying a case for it and spending more. I'd talk to Mike at Uke Republic and Mike at Mainland and see what is out there.

i think you made a great choice! i was the opposite of you. i really wanted an sk-35 with the matte finish but couldn't find one available :( either way i think you picked a good one.

Thanks! Haha. Which one did you end up getting?

Actually I wasn't charged anything for shipping when I bought mine from Uke Republic. Not sure if that is always the case or if it was because I was also buying a case for it and spending more. I'd talk to Mike at Uke Republic and Mike at Mainland and see what is out there.

Really? Huh. I paid about $16. But it's no biggie. It comes with a free case, so it's all good.

Top Bottom