Fan stroke/strum?

Josiahjjr

Reaction score
Hello! This is my first post on UU (just registered 5 minutes ago :), so be gentle.

I've looked at different people doing the fan stroke, or what ever you call it, and everyone I've seen brushes their fingers out.
I, however, brush in. I start in a high five sort of shape and brush in to a closed fist.

Are there any disadvantages to this? It feels good and sounds the same, but I'm relatively new to ukulele and don't wanna develop bad habits.

Any feed back is appreciated, and sorry for the long post.

The main difference I can see (if I understand what you are describing) is that you are playing the strings in the opposite order of the standard stroke. You are starting on the first (highest in pitch string), then the second, third, then fourth. You are playing from high to low and then high again (the fourth string, and I am assuming you are playing re-entrant). I have tried to duplicate what you are doing and because you are going down in pitch, it sounds different. I don't find it as pleasing. It seems a little "dead". I'd recommend learning it in the standard method.

In the meantime, I'm going to learn your method just to learn it!

Thanks! I am using re-entrant tuning. I am hitting 1st,2nd,3rd,4th like you said. It sound about the same to me, and plus I have trouble using the standard method. I'll continue to try to learn the standard and I'll use both :)

Yeah! It definitely has it's uses even if it's wrong or reversed. Maybe I'll be famous for it one day!

Welcome to UU!!

Cool that you've developed a fanning upstroke. I'm guessing you have some groovy syncopated stuff happening. Right on.

You'll find a "classic" roll stroke will come in handy, so it's a good idea to practice it until it's smooth and natural too.

Oh, and your post isn't long at all by UU standards, don't worry.

If i'm understanding what your describing it seems like your doing the second half of a 8 finger roll, check out Uke minutes #87 for that and then Uke minutes#90 for the 10 finger roll. Aldrine also has a uke minutes about the 4 finger roll if you wanna have a look, its uke minutes #6. Hope this helps.

Top Bottom