Playing uke at the beach

SuzukHammer

Reaction score
Sure, it looks like the coolest thing....

and it is ....

for about half an hour.

and then the salt air makes your strings heavy and sticky. It feels like you are playing a sticky cantaloupe.

Hopefully Wet Wipes is the solution. because.....

Its too damned cool playing music in the water, your feet sinking in the sand as the surf keeps throwing water up your shorts.

I can't wait for my wife to join me. I'm thinking campfire, ukulele, and Bernadette Peters.

Living by the beach is cool.

Coll you mentioned this coz i was just playing down by the park. Isnt playing outside the coolest thing.

Keep an eye on the uke at all times. I live by beach too and some kids tried to take my uke and run. I guess no one can resist a dolphin!

I have more issues with the powdery white sand we have on Aruba, but most of our go to beaches have offshore wind all year long.

when i go to the beach
268843_10150224707630208_593995207_7260423_6138658_n.jpg

i don't play around
261964_10150224694895208_593995207_7260259_690011_n.jpg

Really?? I've never had that problem my entire life :/

yeah John, that's me too.

Hawaiians to have it lucky Miso.

Just to let you know, in the country I am in, music is forbidden in public. Yes, No kidding. I live on a compound that is supposed to be a shelter from the public so I can feel more at ease with my own culture. The problem is that now the compound has more percentage of nationals and I have to find secluded spots to play or sing. Its funny. I'll be strumming along and if I see somebody who looks like they could be a national, I have to stop playing out of respect for them.

So..... This playing in the water feels extra fun.

@ Diego, Some sands are hard to scrape off. I'm lucky that I can just walk in the grass and it all comes off. I have been to Aruba. I just never made it to the beach because I was just making a plane transition.

I see you play harmonica. So do I. Do you play harp on the beach?

Oh yes it is :)

I've never had the sticky strings issue, but then I've never had the guts to actually stand in the water with my HF-1 and play. I sit a short distance away, usually sheltered by rocks if it's that kind of beach.

Sigh. Wish I was doing that today!

Santa Monica, I have some memories from there. Most of them hazey from a girl and too much cerveza. I like that song named Santa Monica by Everclear. Maybe some day I can play that.

I say that you should try it. But just limit the time to 15 minutes and have something to clean off the uke when you get out. I think ukes are supposed to have experiences. They call it Mojo.

Coll you mentioned this coz i was just playing down by the park. Isnt playing outside the coolest thing.

Yes, I take my uke with me on all my walks. I'll find a spot and just play something. Its fun to watch the kids stare at the uke.

Keep an eye on the uke at all times. I live by beach too and some kids tried to take my uke and run. I guess no one can resist a dolphin!

Put it on a fishing line and when the kids almost have it, reel it back. I think a Dolphin would be good beach uke; but, I like my Low G Fluke too much. It is loud and that is important outside.

I think ukes are supposed to have experiences. They call it Mojo.

I fully agree with this. People think I'm nuts to bring a Kamaka to the beach, but hey, it's meant to be portable and to be played :)

Just to let you know, in the country I am in, music is forbidden in public. Yes, No kidding. I live on a compound that is supposed to be a shelter from the public so I can feel more at ease with my own culture. The problem is that now the compound has more percentage of nationals and I have to find secluded spots to play or sing. Its funny. I'll be strumming along and if I see somebody who looks like they could be a national, I have to stop playing out of respect for them.
Interesting. Where do you live?

My favorite beach-playing experience was in Aruba. I was still new to the instrument, so mostly I was just faking my way around some very gentle chords as I waited with the usual crew of dorks at 4:30 in the morning to reserve a hut. They all thought I was the ukulele Liberace. I must admit, I did sound much better playing on the beach...

I fully agree with this. People think I'm nuts to bring a Kamaka to the beach, but hey, it's meant to be portable and to be played :)
Exactly. I've taken all my ukes to the beach.....hello, they came from Hawaii! (well not mine specifically, I don't own a K brand)

@ Diego, Some sands are hard to scrape off. I'm lucky that I can just walk in the grass and it all comes off. I have been to Aruba. I just never made it to the beach because I was just making a plane transition.

I see you play harmonica. So do I. Do you play harp on the beach?

Harp is even worse, as sand gets in between the reedplates and clogs up the instrument. The instrument has to be opened up and cleaned. But yeah I do take them from time to time.

My favorite beach-playing experience was in Aruba. I was still new to the instrument, so mostly I was just faking my way around some very gentle chords as I waited with the usual crew of dorks at 4:30 in the morning to reserve a hut. They all thought I was the ukulele Liberace. I must admit, I did sound much better playing on the beach...

Everything is better on the beach ;)

when i go to the beach
i don't play around
261964_10150224694895208_593995207_7260259_690011_n.jpg

Hehehe,.....in the water shark attacks can happen in 3 feet or less of water,.....so the shark can pick his teeth clean with your uke, or floss with the strings!

I grew up in Maine. I would take my uke up onto the rocks at the end of the beach and play there. All the fun of playing at the beach without getting sand in the uke.

Top Bottom