The Ohana Vita-Uke Reproduction

Pippin

Reaction score
Well, it looks great and sounds great... and the case is super-cool.

vita_case_sm.jpg

ohana_ckp70_sm.jpg

Hey Mickey, I understand these are very nice sounding and quite loud as well. Hope you enjoy it. Is the case from Ohana? Also, is the saddle compensated?

Hey Mickey, I understand these are very nice sounding and quite loud as well. Hope you enjoy it. Is the case from Ohana? Also, is the saddle compensated?

Yes, the case is from Ohana. The saddle is not compensated. Intonation seems really good, though.

How different does this sound from the Ohana Bell uke -- I was amazed when I played one of those. I have to say that for a mid-range uke you simply can't beat Ohana for quality and variety.

How different does this sound from the Ohana Bell uke -- I was amazed when I played one of those. I have to say that for a mid-range uke you simply can't beat Ohana for quality and variety.

The Vita reproduction model has more low-to-mid-range than the Bell. Both are vintage reproductions, though. The Bell is solid mahogany and the Vita is laminated back and sides with a solid spruce top. That makes a big difference in tone and volume.

What I like about the Vita-copy is that it looks very much like an "Irish" instrument, and I play a lot of Irish tunes, so that is good for me.

I'll be posting a video later today.

I put Martin Fluorocarbon strings on the Ohana CKP-70 Vita-Uke reproduction and it really came to life! Wow!

I will be recording a tune with the studio equipment to post online.

I was going to do that today, but at 90 degrees temperature and the air and fans blasting, I decided to wait.

I was minutes too late to get one for $80 on FMM.....Arrrrrrgggggghhhhh!

I put Martin Fluorocarbon strings on the Ohana CKP-70 Vita-Uke reproduction and it really came to life! Wow!

I will be recording a tune with the studio equipment to post online.

I was going to do that today, but at 90 degrees temperature and the air and fans blasting, I decided to wait.
Congrats, they are great little ukes with a loud voice, I got one a while back and liked it a lot with the Aquila's it had on it, but when I tried the flourocarbons on it....WOW! they are a great match for these ukes.
Love the folky stuff myself...O for a concert neck Ohana :)
Chris
I agree, the only thing I've been able to fault with mine is the short neck!

...but when I tried the flourocarbons on it....WOW! they are a great match for these ukes.

I agree, the only thing I've been able to fault with mine is the short neck!

After playing the aNueNue "Vision 1879" uke so much, I have truly grown to love the twelve-fret neck. The biggest benefit of it is that the fretboard is not under your fingertips when finger-picking. Steve Boisen (Barnkickers) made that observation and he is right. A twelve-fret neck is easier for finger-picking.

After playing the aNueNue "Vision 1879" uke so much, I have truly grown to love the twelve-fret neck. The biggest benefit of it is that the fretboard is not under your fingertips when finger-picking. Steve Boisen (Barnkickers) made that observation and he is right. A twelve-fret neck is easier for finger-picking.

I had never considered this and do a lot of fingerpicking myself, but have noticed I catch the fretboard a lot on my tenor. The only Soprano I had a year or so ago was a Makai and I was not even concerned with fingerpicking then, and gave it away as a novely present as it was a laminate!

Interesting observation which has made me sit up and think!

Chris

I love my Ohana Vita - and couldn't agree more. I play some fiddle tunes on it, as it seems particularly suited to that style of play, and it's an easy uke to fingerpick with. BTW - Great video on You Tube of you playing the Vita, Mickey!

BTW - how much is that Ohana case and where did you get it from?!

Last edited:
I love my Ohana Vita - and couldn't agree more. I play some fiddle tunes on it, as it seems particularly suited to that style of play, and it's an easy uke to fingerpick with. BTW - Great video on You Tube of you playing the Vita, Mickey!

BTW - how much is that Ohana case and where did you get it from?!

John, I just checked online and didn't find any retailers with it in stock. The item number is "UCV-24" (as Ohana knows it). I believe it runs about $67, list is $89.

Top Bottom