strumming?

maemaemck

Reaction score
hi:)
this is my first uke, ive had it for a few months now, but when i was watching videos on youtube, i relized people strum with thier fingers, not with thier thumbs. i dont want to keep creating bad habits if most people strum with there fingers.
also i have no idea on how to chuck...
so if anyone can help me that would be great : ]

Everyone does it a bit differently I guess, I use my pointing finger to strum down and thumb to strum up. The chunk is accomplished by lightly using my pinky on the strings to sort of mute the incoming strum. do not apply full pressure to the strings, just impede them from freely ringing.

Keep on strumming, and welcome :)

Last edited:
Aloha Maemaemck,
Welcome to the UU and our forums..and the ukulele.. Have fun and enjoy...alot of people have their own ways and much is personal reference...look at Ohta san...he only uses his thumb...whatever
works for you...as you get better, you will learn creative and effective ways to do it...Musicteacher2010 ..google him..he has some strumming lessons..on you tube...Ukulele video tutorials...also
Paxuklele is good too.. and Dr Uke for songs, chords, instructions and music theory...Happy Strummings..MM Stan
BTW... ma'e ma'e in hawaiian is ...clean, pure, chaste, and attractive.... intresting you chose that for your user name......

hi:)
this is my first uke, ive had it for a few months now, but when i was watching videos on youtube, i relized people strum with thier fingers, not with thier thumbs. i dont want to keep creating bad habits if most people strum with there fingers.
also i have no idea on how to chuck...
so if anyone can help me that would be great : ]

James Hill, one of the very best players in the world, regularly strums with just his thumb. It is not wrong. Different ways of strumming give different effects.

Chunking is, in my opinion, best avoided until at least you learn how to do accurate regular strums.

Welcome. Lots of good info here and on YouTube re: strumming techniques. Good idea to get a good idea of playing basics to avoid bad habits.

I strum with most of my fingers, and also my thumb. Depends on the song, and the sound I want to create.

Generally speaking the thumb gives a nice laid back sound.

No right and wrong dude!

Top Bottom