Bending sides?

Josiahjjr

Reaction score
I heard somewhere that you can bend the sides for a uke (or any instrument really) by soaking it overnight in hot bath water. Then bending it, and clamp it to a form or mold.
Would this work?
And, if it works, would it detriment the sound any?

I wanna make a uke, but I really cant afford a fox bender. I was hoping this might do.

Any feedback is appreciated :)

I heard somewhere that you can bend the sides for a uke (or any instrument really) by soaking it overnight in hot bath water. Then bending it, and clamp it to a form or mold.
Would this work?
And, if it works, would it detriment the sound any?

I wanna make a uke, but I really cant afford a fox bender. I was hoping this might do.

Any feedback is appreciated :)

Although I'm just a lurker on the Luthier's Lounge, I'll recommend you to read the reasent threads on this ... pay attension to the "big boy's" recommendations.

Without heat you're going to have a heck of a time bending any wood. And I can't think of a single species that I use where soaking overnight would do anything to it except make it soggy.

The simplest way for someone starting out is to make a hot pipe. Have a search through the forum and Google.

Maybe the secret is in using bath water. Perhaps the right combination of soap and dirt does the trick.

Me, I'd use a hot pipe.

Ditto what Dave said above. Boiling it would work better....but you'll lose alot of color into the water and maybe have troubles with warping or splitting.
A bending iron isn't that expensive. You could set one up for $20 with a section of pipe and a heat gun. Its much easier to use than you might think

There's a point at which you simply have to invest some dough to do any of this...or any other task...correctly, efficiently, well, and with low frustration. If you want to build a crappy uke for cheap, get a Grizzly kit. If you want to build real instruments, you will have to spend more than the instrument is worth to tool up to build it. It's easy to be penny wise and pound foolish.

There's a point at which you simply have to invest some dough to do any of this...or any other task...correctly, efficiently, well, and with low frustration. If you want to build a crappy uke for cheap, get a Grizzly kit. If you want to build real instruments, you will have to spend more than the instrument is worth to tool up to build it. It's easy to be penny wise and pound foolish.

Here,here, Rick! Good advice. I've had to learn that the hard way. Listen to the wise ones, little grasshopper.

Top Bottom