PDA

View Full Version : New uke gig bag!

Gerald Ross
07-10-2011, 04:26 AM
I was at Elderly Instruments yesterday and saw this fantastic new ukulele gig bag. It's by the renowned instrument bag company Reunion Blues.

This bag is very sturdy with almost a hard shell case feel, stylish, lightweight and ultra protective.

Check it out.

http://elderly.com/accessories/items/RBCONT-CONUKE.htm

Disclaimer: I do not work for nor am an endorsee for Reunion Blues or Elderly Instruments! Just spreading some informative uke news.

Gmoney
07-10-2011, 05:10 AM
LOVE these bags! I looked closely at this one last Friday & like everything about it. But... no concert uke except for my beater Kala "Mighty Uke" at present. I do plan on buying the tenor size for my LoPrinzi. Its considerably lighter than the hardshell case its in now. But these Reunion Blues cases are way more than the flimsy "gig bag" being pawned off w/guitars & many cheaper ukes.

For the traveling or performing uke player, these should really be considered in place of a hard shell case, IMO. If your ukes never leave the house, perhaps a "standard" hardshell is just as good.

bdukes
07-10-2011, 06:52 AM
Looks like a nice bag. Now if there's something that I obsess over more than new ukes, it's bags. All kinds. Camera, ipad, messenger, man-purse, you name it... and now I can add ukulele travel bags to the list??!!?

My bank account thanks you for the tip, Gerald. :rolleyes:

Seriously, soon as I find a tenor one I'm going to order and use it for which ever uke I'm traveling with.

Gmoney
07-15-2011, 04:16 AM
Seriously, soon as I find a tenor one I'm going to order and use it for which ever uke I'm traveling with.

I'm having a hard time finding a source for the tenor bag w/o HIGH shipping charges! The few online sources seem to want in the neighborhood of $30+ just to ship?!

Rick Turner
07-15-2011, 04:20 AM
Welcome to the real world. Shipping means boxing. Boxing means a box...that costs money...yes, real money. Boxing means labor...that costs money. Shipping means processing paperwork and computer work. That costs money. Of the quoted $30.00, I'll bet that barely half of that is in actual UPS, FedEx, or USPS shipping charges; the rest is packaging and handling. We ship things every day, and it's not inexpensive to do so.

Gmoney
07-15-2011, 04:31 AM
Welcome to the real world. Shipping means boxing. Boxing means a box...that costs money...yes, real money. Boxing means labor...that costs money. Shipping means processing paperwork and computer work. That costs money. Of the quoted $30.00, I'll bet that barely half of that is in actual UPS, FedEx, or USPS shipping charges; the rest is packaging and handling. We ship things every day, and it's not inexpensive to do so.

Yes, sir... you are correct. I'm whining! Perhaps if I just buy another uke AND that case at the same time from that same online vendor, the $30 won't seem extreme. :)

Knotical
07-15-2011, 07:23 AM
Standard disclaimers ~ no relation to blah, blah.

Elderly's site didn't have a lot of pictures of it but a quick Google search not only located more pictures but also a video on this page (http://artisanguitars.com/videos/reunion-blues-continental-guitar-case-fender-strat-thrown-off-roof/) of a Fender Strat being thrown off a roof in a similar Reunion Blues case.

Twice.

Does my $99 ukulele need a $130 (with shipping) gig bag? Probably not, but it does seem exceptionally well designed and well made. So, yes, it's on my wish list.

Reunion Blues website has a nice descriptive video:

http://www.youtube.com/v/1zJVKcLAZuQ&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3

Here are some other pictures:
http://artisanguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/images/artisan_02162.jpg http://artisanguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/images/artisan_03159.jpg
http://artisanguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/images/artisan_0935.jpg
http://artisanguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/images/artisan_0759.jpg

olgoat52
07-15-2011, 07:30 AM
Standard disclaimers ~ no relation to blah, blah.

Elderly's site didn't have a lot of pictures of it but a quick Google search not only located more pictures but also a video on this page (http://artisanguitars.com/videos/reunion-blues-continental-guitar-case-fender-strat-thrown-off-roof/) of a Fender Strat being thrown off a roof in a similar Reunion Blues case.

Twice.

Does my $99 ukulele need a $130 (with shipping) gig bag? Probably not, but it does seem exceptionally well designed and well made. So, yes, it's on my wish list.

Here are some other pictures:
http://artisanguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/images/artisan_02162.jpg http://artisanguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/images/artisan_03159.jpg
http://artisanguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/images/artisan_0759.jpg

Slick but there's no place to hang your pitons, cams and water bottle. ;)

marymac
07-15-2011, 07:55 PM
Looks like Elderly has a tenor version of this bag now. If I had more than one tenor sized uke I'd consider it but I already have a nice bag for mine: http://elderly.com/accessories/items/RBCONT-TENUKE.htm

Gmoney
08-11-2011, 04:59 PM
Uke Republic got some in & I bought the tenor case for my LoPrinzi Tenor. And... we tried out a couple of other ukes for the interested. Haolejohn's KoAloha Super Concert in a tenor case & a Big Island concert in the concert size. GREAT case!

Gmoney
08-11-2011, 05:04 PM
More photos of ukes in Reunion Blues cases.

Pueo
08-11-2011, 05:04 PM
Fancy !

Knotical
08-11-2011, 05:59 PM
Well, I'm jumping the gun with this announcement but what the heck . . .

About 2 weeks ago I was placing an order with Musician's Friend (http://www.musiciansfriend.com) and I mentioned the Reunion Blues concert case and was asked if I would like to try to special order it. Sure, why not.

Skip a little ahead ~ Musician's Friend will soon be carrying it as a regular item. It's not there yet but in the next week or 2 maybe you can find it here (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/search/search.jsp?question=reunion+blues+concert+ukulele) for < $120 with free shipping.

lookingforcurly
08-11-2011, 05:59 PM
I have Reunion Blues bags for my guitars and basses. Great products, but pricey. I am so tempted to get the new ukulele bag.

ukeeku
08-12-2011, 02:41 AM
Call me a hater, but.....As long as you can get a nice fremont hardcase for $80, I find it hard to spend $120 on a padded gig bag. Sorry. Sometines a hater has to hate
I know there is a lot of work put into them and it can be used as a backpack and all that jazz. it just seems like it should be $70 tops

Gmoney
08-12-2011, 03:33 AM
Call me a hater, but.....As long as you can get a nice fremont hardcase for $80, I find it hard to spend $120 on a padded gig bag. Sorry. Sometines a hater has to hate
I know there is a lot of work put into them and it can be used as a backpack and all that jazz. it just seems like it should be $70 tops

Yo, Tim.... get one in hand & try it. My only complaint is that they don't have a soprano for one. (OK, another "gripe" - I need to buy another concert uke for that size bag!)

ukeeku
08-12-2011, 04:05 AM
I will see if they bite on doing a review.
and what I said before is just my take on it. I know I am not being flamed by anyone, and that is what I love about this place.
I may do a case review week like I did banjo week. any thoughts?

Knotical
08-12-2011, 04:30 AM

You're a hater.

Sorry about that, but you told me to do it. :D

I would love if it was a lot less expensive (like the $50 you suggest) but then again, I have seen some rather well made backpacks that sell for $60-70 that fall far short of the quality and features that I've seen [just in pictures so far] with this case.

I was looking for the cheapest soft case that had the features I wanted. This is what I ended up choosing.

syrynx
08-12-2011, 08:50 AM
How is the Reunion Blues case better than this one (http://elderly.com/accessories/items/UC-TEN.htm)?

Uke Republic
08-12-2011, 08:54 AM
Soprano and Bari coming soon.
I first didn't appreciate what went into these until I got my hands on one @ NAMM then I was smitten. It is a top of the line product. I must thank Gmoney for getting me to look into carrying these. It's perfect for travel or storage and doubles as a pillow if you camp :)

Yo, Tim.... get one in hand & try it. My only complaint is that they don't have a soprano for one. (OK, another "gripe" - I need to buy another concert uke for that size bag!)

ukestah
08-12-2011, 09:34 AM
How is the Reunion Blues case better than this one (http://elderly.com/accessories/items/UC-TEN.htm)?

Its lighter than the case in the link, has backpack straps, looks nicer, lots of pockets and space to put things, and really just feels like it will protect my uke better. The lining in these Reunion Blues cases are great. One thing though for people out there thinking about buying one, my Kamaka HF-3 Tenor fits a bit too snug in the RB case, however my Ko`olau slotted headstock tenor fits perfectly in there.

I'm taking the RB case on the plane this weekend, short trip from Oahu to Maui, but still will be nerve wracking until I land and see that the uke is alright after being tossed around in the overhead compartment. I will update with information after the trip!

Gmoney
08-12-2011, 09:53 AM

"I've already got one..." - the cases in that link are simply styrofoam w/a thin layer of questionable material over it - that they actually call them "hard shell" is just laughable. They come apart at the seams pretty easily - but... as I've said, I already got one (or three).

The construction & materials used in the Reunion Blues bags are just better quality. I will say what I said in another thread... some ukes never leave the house & really may not even need a case at all (if humidity issues aren't an issue). But some of us travel professionally (not necessarily music related) & the usual hardshell cases are much heavier and maybe even more expensive, so these bags are a great alternative. I travel every week for my job & always carry at least one uke w/me. I bought this case specifically so I would be able to carry my LoPrinzi more often than I do otherwise (I usually carry one of my long-neck soprano's due to the smaller case).

YMMV

Ted4
08-12-2011, 11:35 AM
120dollars...hmmm... let me think for a minute. In real money that's about 80 sterling nes pas? That equates to about 7 Dolphins off eBay and a hell of a lot of postage stamps from the mighty Royal Mail. This case sounds awfully tempting and as robust as a wrestlers loins encased in concrete , but my plan would be to buy 7 Dolphins and simply post them to wherever you are travelling to, the logic being that at least ONE would arrive intact.
If anyone can find a hole in my logic I will be be hugely surprised!!

mds725
08-12-2011, 01:26 PM
120dollars...hmmm... let me think for a minute. In real money that's about 80 sterling nes pas? That equates to about 7 Dolphins off eBay and a hell of a lot of postage stamps from the mighty Royal Mail. This case sounds awfully tempting and as robust as a wrestlers loins encased in concrete , but my plan would be to buy 7 Dolphins and simply post them to wherever you are travelling to, the logic being that at least ONE would arrive intact.
If anyone can find a hole in my logic I will be be hugely surprised!!

Um..... It rests on the assumption that the person traveling would want to play a dolphin instead of whatever ukulele would be in the $120 gig bag. There are some people who, instead of taking their spouse on vacation with them, just have another spouse waiting for them wherever they go. So I guess there are adherents to your logic. :)

Ted4
08-12-2011, 01:52 PM
I like the cut of your jib sir! I didn't realise just what a profound and brilliant idea I had there... think of the savings.... only paying for the one holiday...

Knotical
08-30-2011, 04:30 AM
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/reunion-blues-rb-continental-concert-ukulele-case

Gmoney
10-07-2011, 10:20 AM
I picked up the Concert size Reunion Blues bag from Uke Republic & though it is a tight fit, I like it.

ukestah
10-07-2011, 10:50 AM
Gmoney, what about humidity issues? Where would a humidifier go? I live in Hawaii and don't need one in my RB gig bag, however I'm going to Vegas next month and its super dry there and need suggestions for keeping my uke humidified.

gyosh
10-07-2011, 10:56 AM
I have one of these for my Kamaka HF-3 and my only gripe would be that it needs a grip on the top for convenience, otherwise it's awesome.

Couloirman
10-08-2011, 04:53 PM
Was about to order up the mono case for my new uke, but boy and I glad I saw this thread! Great looking bags, can't wait to get one in hand.

mds725
10-08-2011, 07:33 PM
I have one of these for my Kamaka HF-3 and my only gripe would be that it needs a grip on the top for convenience, otherwise it's awesome.

Gary, do you mean you have a Reunion Blues bag? And I'm not sure what you mean by a grip on the top. Thanks!

gyosh
10-08-2011, 07:59 PM
Hey Mark,

Yup, I got the RB bag when the smell kept coming back in my Kamaka hard shell case (they must glue the lining in with something fish based). The RB bag needs a handle on the peg head (top) part of the bag. When it's leaning against a wall or even lying flat there's nothing to grab except the "suitcase" handle on the side. It can be pretty inconvenient at times, a handle on top just makes sense (I've got the Kamaka case out in the garage airing out with baking soda and febreeze hoping a month or two will do the trick).

Couloirman
03-03-2012, 09:53 AM
OK so Ive been thinking. I have a few gig bags, but one of my tenor gig bags is several inches bigger than my current tenor uke in every dimension (except depth). Does anyone have the reunion blues concert uke gig bag? Do any of your tenors fit in it? I need another new bag and am just curious if I can save some space while travelling by fitting a tenor into the RB concert gig bag.

Thanks

Gerald Ross
03-03-2012, 10:13 AM
I tried to fit my tenors into a Reunion Blues Concert sized Gig Bag and they didn't fit.

Length and width of the bag were both too short.

Couloirman
03-03-2012, 10:16 AM
Thanks a bunch for the info. Looks like I'll order another tenor bag then. Or maybe I should start travelling with a concert uke instead of a tenor? Either way thanks for the info!

didgeridoo2
05-28-2012, 08:36 PM
Would anyone who owns the tenor version of the reunion blues case do me a favor and please give me the inside dimensions? I have a tenor on the way and it's a bit longer and bigger than standard tenors. I have this case for my concert uke and I like it quite a bit. Overall length needs to accomodate 28 1/2", 13" for the body length, and 9 3/4" wide at the lower bought.

Thanks so much for any help on this.

AC Baltimore
05-28-2012, 11:18 PM
Looks very nice but I too can't see paying that price when I can have a hard case for less.

As for shipping, if you are a dealer you usually have boxes and packaging that stock came in so that costs nothing. As for the time of packaging, that seems a bit short of good service to want to charge for that. does a music store charge you to ring you up and bag your purchase? It costs money to run a business and in my mind that is part of it if it is a substantial purchase. MANY sellers offer free shipping above a certain dollar amount and this factors in to where I spend my money more often than not. If you want me as a customer you can give a little effort to package my purchase if it is 100 dollars and up. If you don't, many will. I am not directing this at anyone, just speaking in general and offering an opinion. Before the lynch mob comes, yes I have sold and packaged many things via ebay. Always free shipping :)

Gmoney
05-29-2012, 04:27 AM
Would anyone who owns the tenor version of the reunion blues case do me a favor and please give me the inside dimensions? I have a tenor on the way and it's a bit longer and bigger than standard tenors. I have this case for my concert uke and I like it quite a bit. Overall length needs to accomodate 28 1/2", 13" for the body length, and 9 3/4" wide at the lower bought.

Thanks so much for any help on this.

I have the tenor & concert. Tenor inside is 27.5" L x 10.5" W at the lower bout. That new uke isn't going to fit, unless you "nestle" the headstock right into the top lining/padding.

didgeridoo2
05-29-2012, 05:11 AM
I have the tenor & concert. Tenor inside is 27.5" L x 10.5" W at the lower bout. That new uke isn't going to fit, unless you "nestle" the headstock right into the top lining/padding.
Thanks a lot Gmoney! Back to the drawing board I guess.

Gmoney
05-29-2012, 05:39 AM
Thanks a lot Gmoney! Back to the drawing board I guess.

I actually have my Pineapple Sunday "nestled" into padding of a Concert RB. Cushion's the "spikes" sort-of ... :)

My LoPrinzi Tenor is in the tenor case w/room to spare.

uke42
05-29-2012, 09:06 AM
Does anyone know if a Kanilea Tenor will fit in one of these cases?

gyosh
05-29-2012, 09:12 AM

Does anyone know if a Kanilea Tenor will fit in one of these cases?

Here are the dimensions as posted on the previous page.

uke42
05-29-2012, 09:21 AM
Here are the dimensions as posted on the previous page.

I don't have my Kanilea tenor with me right now so I can't measure it. Just thought someone would know offhand if it did fit. I've been thinking about getting one of these cases since they released the tenor size but held off until I could see one in person. I don't know of any stores in the San Jose, CA area that carry them so I would be ordering it sight unseen. Although I have "Uke Crazy" hard cases for my tenors I'm still worried when I travel with them.

gyosh
05-29-2012, 09:28 AM
I don't have my Kanilea tenor with me right now so I can't measure it. Just thought someone would know offhand if it did fit. I've been thinking about getting one of these cases since they released the tenor size but held off until I could see one in person. I don't know of any stores in the San Jose, CA area that carry them so I would be ordering it sight unseen. Although I have "Uke Crazy" hard cases for my tenors I'm still worried when I travel with them.

I ordered mine through Elderly Music via Guitar Showcase. Since you're in San Jose too, maybe you could call Smiley at Ukuele Source and ask him the dimensions for the Kanilea. My Kamaka fits snugly lengthwise and I've added some foam for the width. It's a great gig bag although it's a little large to carry on, especially if they are going to start cracking down on carry on size.

uke42
05-29-2012, 09:49 AM
Thanks gyosh for the suggestion. Maybe I'll just stop by the Ukulele Source after work to find out the size. Yeah I know I could just go home and find out but it gives me an excuse to check out Smiley's new inventory ;).

olgoat52
04-11-2013, 10:48 AM
Wish I had found this thread sooner. Just got a tenor size delivered from Elderly for my Moore Bettah tenor and the case is HUGH. It measures as was previously stated but I have about an extra 2" of space widthwise at the lower bout and about 3" at the upper bout. The length just fits. Pretty sloppy side to side. I wonder if they offer extra pad sections to snug things up.

I got some thinking to do here. Nice case other than the size.

olgoat52
04-11-2013, 10:56 AM
No soap. Spoke to the company hoping they might sell foam sections wrapped in the liner material but they don't. The suggestion for stabilizing side to side was "white cotton T shirts". Isn't that snazzy... Ah well.

TheCraftedCow
04-11-2013, 11:29 PM
It would be interesting to see some testing numbers for cases such as pounds of pressure from the side to crush a uke as well as from end to end and top to bottom. What is the damage factor if dropped from different angles onto a concrete floor from six feet high? How will it protect a uke falling off the back of a motorcycle at 35 and at 55? Is there really more protection, or is it just a prettier package?

ukeeku
04-12-2013, 02:29 AM
It would be interesting to see some testing numbers for cases such as pounds of pressure from the side to crush a uke as well as from end to end and top to bottom. What is the damage factor if dropped from different angles onto a concrete floor from six feet high? How will it protect a uke falling off the back of a motorcycle at 35 and at 55? Is there really more protection, or is it just a prettier package?

I have this RB case and I will add that to my review. I will take a uke I don't like and put it in and drop it a few stories. How fun

bborzell
04-12-2013, 05:50 AM
When I bought my Pono Tenor, the dealer threw in a cheap gig bag. I thought that one of the mando bags/cases I had at home might work so I passed on any costly new uke bag/case.

Here is an Access Stage 3 mando bag with my Pono Tenor inside:

http://i315.photobucket.com/albums/ll468/bborzell/ac3aa1ebe8d70a0741f81bacf6f3714a.jpg

Here it is exposed:

http://i315.photobucket.com/albums/ll468/bborzell/b8e62f8ea011a51d6eea9a17d22c6f91.jpg

The case compresses lightly on the top/bottom, much like the RB case I have for my semi hollow body guitar. If I were traveling with the Access case, I would probably stuff a small towel in around the neck and head to take up space. Having both RB and Access cases, I don't see a clear preference. They are both well designed and built.

Tonya
04-18-2013, 03:52 PM
Just an update on the RB case from a weekend of schlepping around, real-world usage at an ukulele festival: I like this RB case a lot when traveling. I was at the Reno Uke Fest last weekend and, with two suitcases (I had a booth so I had to haul in my exhibit items), my tenor and my purse (I'm a girl, you know!), my arms, hands, shoulders were all full. Being able to strap on the RB case fully with both straps made it all much more do-able. I could even carry a cup of much-needed coffee!

It's still pretty bulky for me (I'm used to a "slimmer" case) but I know I have great protection in the RB for my instrument. There's some room for stuff to go in the zipper area up front; it easily fits for my tuner, my capo, the Oasis "water injector" and I even put in a security device (a retractable cable lock with *very* loud alarm--it was "guarding" my MooreBettah while I was busy in the booth) and it wasn't bulgy or anything.

I'm also am finding that the case material is "solid" enough that it keeps the humidity at about 45% or so when traveling (with Oasis humidifier) so that relieves my concern that the material would be too "porous" and wouldn't assist me in maintaining a healthy humidity.

I agree with olgoat52 that my tenor MB has an excess of room in this case, as built, in the lower bout area. The neck holder thingy (of Velcro) is also a bit over long; I just wrap it around a bit before getting it to hug tight to my MB's lovely neck.

My wishes for this case still? A self-locking zipper for the area which covers the shoulder straps when not in use (the kind that, when you push the zipper pull "down," it "locks" the zipper from unzipping?); a grab strap on top (are you listening RB?) and additional factory-sewn padding (loose is fine) with each case to use in taking up the slack for "smaller" instruments. As a real backpacker (you know, the kind who hauls their stuff around on their back in the woods for fun), I'm used to better quality zips, strapping, padding and fit/finish, but, since I'm not planning on using the RB case in its backpacking capacity except for car and plane travel, it'll work just fine.

I'm not sure I'm ready to make this my everyday case, but the great on-your-back balance and ease of use for travel is certainly going to push it to my favs for that usage. I think the Ameritage cases just *look* nicer, but ease of carry is where this one shines.