Jake Show Fall River, MA: Another satisfied customer

bdukes

Reaction score
Needless to say, Jake was amazing.

At times during the set he left me speechless. Did he just do that? Was that what I think I saw/heard?!?!? It looked like a sextuple-strum-triple-chuck-tremelo-VanHalen-lead-with-a-classical-melody-3-bar-harmonic riff. Yep, that's what it was. Great show.

So, now I'm back in my basement office looking at my ukes, deciding upon today's weapon of choice and wondering how do you play D7? Humbling to say the least.

My wife went to the show with me and loved it too. She has been a huge supporter of my hobby and never... change that, RARELY questions this obsession whether it's acquisitions or the need to hit a ukulele store while on vacation. She pointed out the thing that made the show special to her was his stories behind the songs that made the instrumentals come alive. Add another fan to the list.

The other cool thing about last night's show was he had two opening acts. Tripping Lily, an acoustic folk/bluegrass band from Cape Cod and a songwriter from Cape Verde named Ilo. They were all terrific. It was cool to hear just how well ukulele and mandolin sounded together. I've tended to play solo, but my wife started playing mandolin several months ago and I'm looking forward to playing some tunes with her. Jake said he had a terrible voice and that's why he played instrumentals, but has written songs with lyrics too, so he ended the show by playing one of his originals with Monica and Tripping Lily handling the vocals.

There were a lot of folks with ukuleles there so it looks like New England has a rich uke scene. I'm a Cali transplant to the area, so if there are local groups, clubs, meetups etc, I'd love to hear about them.

After the show, Jake and the performers hung out and signed autographs and took pictures. Something he always does. He so gracious and accommodating to his fans. It was really cool to see him interact with the kids at the show.

My wife and I spoke to him briefly after the show. I had a chance encounter with him in the HNL airport a couple of months ago and the first thing he said was, "Hey you look familiar..." Pretty cool dude.

Well, here's the requisite fan photo. My wife looks more excited than me. Can't wait to see another show.

web.jpg

Last edited:
I was there along with two of my boys sitting at one of the tables. Packed at picnic supper and had a wonderful time. My 11 year old is going to be taking uke lessons from Monica and Demitri of Tripping Lily so it was nice that he got to meet them. Great description of the show and evening. We were second o
In line and I met a father who wAs there with his wife and two daughters. His nine year old was coming off of surgery for a brain tumor so she arrivedwhen the doors opened with his wife. None of them play the uke or were fans of Jake but were there because .they go to shows at The Narrows often. He was skeptical whether he was going to stay for the whole show. Well before the show Jake learned of his daughter's condition through one of the volunteers at The Narrows. He took them into one of the galleries and signed some personal memorabelia for them. After the show I saw the Dad and he was blown away. He said he was ready to buy a ukulele. No surprise there. Once again Jake has touched people in his own special way.

Saw him in in "The Egg" in Albany the night before. . .great show in a really wild venue, and he signed my Fluke. . .

Last edited:
Just checked out The Egg online. Looks like a great place for a show. I assume he was in the smaller venue?

Yup. He was in the Swyer (not a typo) room. about 450 seats, and pretty much full.

Jake had really nice things to say about the room, and I don't think there is a bad seat in the place. The bathrooms were weird, though . . .squished into the small spaces left around the two show rooms in that flying egg shape

Top Bottom