good affordable keyboard?

grand piano

Yeah Mike whatever you do, do not get her a grand piano. They really drown out the ukes!

I picked up a used Casio WK-200 on eBay for ~$100. I recommend it, especially for a beginner.

+1 on the Casio stuff. I have an older model that's discontinued but its features match the CTK3000. I definitely recommend full size and velocity sensitive keys. It's only a 61 key scale but more than fine for learning. Walmart had them for about $140 with stand and headphones.

Hey Mike,

Is your wife's goal to play acoustic piano one day? If not, and if she just wants to poke around and learn where notes are and stuff, then just about anything will do. Hit the yard sales and enjoy!

But if she does want to take the more traditional path, then she'll need a keyboard with at least the following features:

1.) Weighted keys. This simulates the "heft" you get from a real piano key (due to it having to fling a hammer onto a string), as opposed to the type of unweighted keys you'd have on, say, an organ.

2.) Velocity-sensitive (AKA touch-sensitive) keys. The harder you hit, the louder (and sometimes brighter) it gets. Nowadays this is a no-brainer. Pretty much all weighted keyboards and even many unweighted ones are velocity-sensitive.

3.) At least one damper (AKA sustain) pedal.

4.) A decent piano sound... the more realistic the better.

5.) At least 76 keys. 88 would be best.

The following are "nice to have" but maybe not dealbreakers:

1.) Other good sounds like electric piano, organ, strings, and so on.

2.) Built-in speakers, so you don't have to use headphones or an external amp.

3.) A USB interface in case you want to hook it up to your computer (for learning software, etc.)

4.) Two or three foot pedals instead of just the one.

5.) Purty looks!

I've been playing piano for waaaay longer than uke. It's my main instrument. I use a Yamaha P-250, which is excellent, IMHO, but maybe not the most affordable thing to get if you're just starting out.

A quick browse through Musician's Friend comes up with these, which might fit the bill:

Yamaha YPG 235 ($250) [Edited to add: Unweighted keys on this one. See follow-up post below.)

Casio CDP-100 ($400)

Yamaha P-85 ($450)

Casio Privia PX130 ($500)

But I'm sure anything else along those lines/specs will do too. Even better if you can find it used for a good price.

Good luck!

JJ

Last edited:
If she is interested in piano, I would skip the mini-keyboards and buy a digital piano with weighted keys. The prices keep coming down and you should be able to pick up a Yamaha, Roland, or Casio for about 750-100-. To me 1000 is a lot of money, but if you can get to a store with a good selection, I think that you and your wife will notice a big difference between the gimmicky (I think) less expensive keyboards and the electric pianos.

The two units suggested by JJ in the previous post look like great suggestions to start.

Yamaha P-85 ($450)

Last edited:
A quick browse through Musician's Friend comes up with these, which might fit the bill:
Yamaha YPG 235 ($250)
I have not looked at prices on keyboards in a while. This Yamaha for $250 is amazing! I'm floored. Graded action keyboard and usb. Might have to look into one myself.

Okay... upon further investigation, it turns out that the YPG 235 does not feature weighted keys. For that reason, I would not recommend it for someone wanting to learn to play keyboard, unless money was very tight. (Even then, I'd look for a used weighted keyboard first.)

My bad.

JJ

+1 for the Casio Privia! My son learned to play on one. Even his picky piano teacher commented on it's realistic feel.

~Michael

I just scored this . . .

Yamaha PSR-79.jpg

If you know what you want you can set up an ebay search and keep trying until you snag one cheap.

The Yamaha PSR-79 was the last keyboard with 49 full sized keys. Compact and not heavy. Can run on batteries. They usually go for around $50 + shipping. I "sniped" one for $32.45 shipped! It took about 6 months though.

NOT that I can actually play these things, but I try!

If she is interested in piano, I would skip the mini-keyboards and buy a digital piano with weighted keys. The prices keep coming down and you should be able to pick up a Yamaha, Roland, or Casio for about 750-100-. To me 1000 is a lot of money, but if you can get to a store with a good selection, I think that you and your wife will notice a big difference between the gimmicky (I think) less expensive keyboards and the electric pianos.

The two units suggested by JJ in the previous post look like great suggestions to start.

Yamaha P-85 ($450)

I looked at the P85 and Casio PX130. I agree with these choices. 88 keys, weighted. What JJ said. The current yamaha model is p95, but we got a p85 and are very happy. This is in addition to my wife's "real" piano.

Top Bottom