PDA

View Full Version : What is "action"?

cbinla
07-10-2011, 03:32 PM
Ok, I bought a Uke for a birthday present to myself. I must have spent three hours at the uke store narrowing them down and finally picking one out. Love my new instrument so much, I spent most of the day playing it after I brought it home.

Now my left hand fingertips hurt. I've played my daughter's instruments, but my fingers didn't have to press so hard and I never noticed this before.

Is this what is called action? High action means you have to press harder?

I think my fingers will get use to it, maybe get a little callous. Is this normal? I have been playing a lot.

Kanaka916
07-10-2011, 03:39 PM
The following link should provide an answer . . . http://www.myamoeukuleles.com/actionPlayability.html

ichadwick
07-11-2011, 02:25 AM
Q: What is "action?"
A: Something I used to get when I was single.

Ukulele, being so popular these days, draws the chicks and guys more than a frumpy old guitar. Nowadays jealous guitar players look at the young uke players surrounded by adoring females (or males) and opine over the ukulele players getting all the action.

ukulelecowboy
07-11-2011, 02:45 AM
Ian,

As usual your skewed perspective on all things (I.e. Your truss rod history and lineage) is always refreshing!

Keep up the good(?) work...

roxhum
07-11-2011, 02:50 AM
Sore fingertips until callouses forming is normal. You are not an official uke player until your first peel on your calloused finger tips! Now I am going to go read for myself the alternative meaning for action that Kanaka916 sent you.

cbinla
07-11-2011, 08:50 PM
I think I need to take a day or two off so my fingers can recover. Thanks.

Manalishi
07-11-2011, 11:15 PM
On the contrary,you need to KEEP PLAYING even if
only for ten minutes a day.That way you will build
up your callouses better.Keep taking time off and it
will be almost like starting over again! Little and often
in the early days.Ten minutes here and there rather
than a two hour session.

ichadwick
07-12-2011, 12:47 AM
On the contrary,you need to KEEP PLAYING even if
only for ten minutes a day.
...What he said. Callouses are your skin's reaction to repeated stress. They will soften if you stop. Callouses are a barrier against pain, so unless you're a masochist, keep playing.

I played guitar for 40+ years and had callouses like rhino hide. Then I quit playing and focused on learning wind instruments for about two years. Failing in my efforts, I took up guitar again. Ouch. Ouch! OUCH!

Keep playing. In a month or two you'll wonder what the fuss was about. Pain builds character.