PDA

View Full Version : What songs are new Ukulele players learning right now?

cbinla
07-10-2011, 03:39 PM
Me:
Don't Get Around Much Anymore - I like the laid back feel of this song, it feels right when I strum it with a lazy swing feel.
Fire and Rain - Having trouble getting that JT sound with a Uke, but I like this song on the Uke, it works pretty well.

cbinla
07-10-2011, 03:41 PM
Oops I meant to post this on the Ukulele beginners section - not the New Member Introductions. Sorry. Can someone move it?

rook
07-11-2011, 06:02 AM
I am currently learning Bus Stop by The Hollies, cool sounding tune on the uke

NFLcheesehead1
07-11-2011, 06:09 AM
I'm learning "Wipeout" by the Beach Boys. It's coming along pretty well.

BadLands Bart
07-11-2011, 06:24 AM
What a Day for a Day Dream...easy swing strum sounds real good on the uke!

deadpool
07-11-2011, 07:05 AM
Here's my list:
Strumming:
Big Rock Candy Mountain
Iko Iko
All My Loving
Dock of the Bay
Manic Monday

Finger Picking:
Happy Birthday
Twinkle Twinkle (two versions)

kevsumac
07-11-2011, 07:45 AM
Sloop John B

Good Riddance

Shastastan
07-11-2011, 09:13 AM
Well, you guys are way more advanced than this beginner. I'm just doing stuff like Amazing Grace and Red River Valley :(

kaizersoza
07-11-2011, 09:47 AM
twinkle twinkle little star, faith, you are my sunshine, yellow, YMCA, 500 miles,i've been strumming for nearly a month now and these are the songs i am practising, i can play twinkle, you are my sunshine and most of faith, ymca is nearly there

SkeerRacing
07-11-2011, 12:55 PM
Ohta San's Hawaii, my favorite ukulele tune :)

cbinla
07-11-2011, 03:28 PM
Also I'm learning Oh Darlin. Fun to sing, not too difficult, both good qualities for a song in my small repertoire.

I was inspired by these two guys' take on it (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksixCyIfWTA) (like the slow laid back strumming).

cbinla
07-11-2011, 03:31 PM
Some of these songs I've never heard of. Gonna check them out. Thanks!

J-Peg
07-11-2011, 04:57 PM
Stray Cat Strut
Big Bad Bill (is Sweet William Now)
Swing Brother Swing

I've played around with a few others that I already know on guitar but most of them sound better on guitar, so I probably won't really learn them on the uke. Except maybe "Stairway to Heaven" and "Dream a Little Dream." Those two work pretty well on the uke.

ricdoug
07-11-2011, 06:19 PM
Beginners:

http://ukuleletonya.com/files/beginner_lesson_pkg.pdf

Kalimac
07-11-2011, 06:25 PM
I've been learning Rainbow Connection and Octopus's Garden.

Manalishi
07-11-2011, 11:19 PM
First uke song I ever learned was 'Five Foot Two'
and it was/is great.A lot of people mock it for being
corny or whatever,BUT for a newbie it has a few easy
but interesting chord changes in it!

Mel Ott
07-12-2011, 04:10 AM
"After Hours." I wouldn't have expected the Velvet Underground to translate well to the uke, but this one sounds all right.

painterbob
07-12-2011, 04:13 AM
Chocolate Jesus (Tom Waits) Three easy chords played slowly and fun to sing

The Passenger (Iggy Pop) One of the catchiest rhythm guitar parts ever and it makes you practice the E chord

Opinion (Kurt Cobain) I like trying to play Nirvana with new fingerings and how different it sounds on uke

You Could Make A Killing (Aimee Mann) Nice chord progression

Cliff Rogers
07-12-2011, 09:43 PM
First uke song I ever learned was 'Five Foot Two'
and it was/is great.A lot of people mock it for being
corny or whatever,BUT for a newbie it has a few easy
but interesting chord changes in it!
We had a jam after dinner last month & we played that one, we had a guitar, a mandolin & a tenor ukulele & it sounded great.

We also did 'Light My Fire' by Jose Feliciano & that was a winner too.

Ted4
07-13-2011, 06:45 AM
"I don't want to set the world on fire" by The Inkspots!!! All the chords are Bmb+7th aug types!!

mustacheukuleles
07-13-2011, 07:19 AM
trying to learn this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hOqEuyosH8
not going so well
and this one: which is going alot better and is super fun to play
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FT1v65c1lI

Gary Gill
07-13-2011, 12:45 PM
How Long Blues
Pancho and Left
He went to Paris
Amazing Grace

minniethemoocher
07-13-2011, 01:06 PM
Some cool songs everybody's playing...this week I'm working on It's Only a Paper Moon, Won't You Come Home Bill Bailey, and Sophisticated Hula (is the talk of the town, just love that song!) will probably go through some from my country book this weekend.

Maxjunk
07-13-2011, 04:09 PM
Bach's Cello Suite 1 Prelude. One of my fav pieces ^.^

Huna
07-13-2011, 04:49 PM
Rubber Ducky

mm stan
07-13-2011, 08:23 PM
http://www.ukulele-tabs.com/top-uke-tabs.html top 50 songs..of this site and more...

France
07-13-2011, 08:30 PM
Not right now but 'Sea of Love' is a goody. Barre chord practice but reasonably slow.

birdergirl
07-14-2011, 01:32 PM
White Sandy Beach was my first tune
Margaritaville
Mr. Bojangles
Sloop John B
Margarita

But my new "toughie" this week is Neil Young's "Harvest Moon." It's almost all in the D family, and a very good exercise in chord changes. You MUST use the 222X fingering for D. If you use 2225 it sounds awful!

uke_rob
07-15-2011, 10:43 AM
Also I'm learning Oh Darlin. Fun to sing, not too difficult, both good qualities for a song in my small repertoire.

I was inspired by these two guys' take on it (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksixCyIfWTA) (like the slow laid back strumming).

Possibly one of my favourite Beatles tracks of all time!! Will try find out how to play that

uke_rob
07-15-2011, 10:44 AM
I'm trying, Buddy Holly - Every Day and Radiohead - Creep

gyre
07-15-2011, 10:55 AM
Cherry Blossoms (from Michael Lynch, Ukulele Mike).
Wanted to learn one finger pickin' song well.

peytakeeho
07-15-2011, 11:16 AM
Sakura Sakura and Can't Help Falling In Love are nice instrumental pieces :)

cbinla
07-15-2011, 08:13 PM
Some cool songs everybody's playing...this week I'm working on It's Only a Paper Moon, Won't You Come Home Bill Bailey, and Sophisticated Hula (is the talk of the town, just love that song!) will probably go through some from my country book this weekend.

I love Paper Moon! Great song for the uke. I like Tony Bennett and this is one of my favorite recordings of his to listen to.

cbinla
07-15-2011, 08:25 PM
Possibly one of my favourite Beatles tracks of all time!! Will try find out how to play that

Well, here are the chords I use. The actual key that Paul sings is way too high for my baritone. Key of C works much better for my voice.

http://www.e-chords.com/chords/the-beatles/oh-darling

joejeweler
07-15-2011, 09:05 PM
Well,....i've only been playing ukulele for a few weeks, but i've played fingerstyle guitar on and off for 30 years.
More off than on, but at one point had over 20 solo fingerstyle guitar pieces down pretty good, such as Chet Atkins
arrangement of "Vincent" (aka "Starry Starry Nights" ). Both on classical guitar and steel string acoustic.

I was really inspired by John King's arrangement and ukulele performance of "Angels We Have Heard On High" (Gloria)
What's nice about it is it's pretty short, yet challanging to get it "flowing". Not the typical 1st tune to learn on a ukulele
probably,....but then i'm not a singer! lol

Here is John Kings performance on youtube of this piece: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3N_JnJQG-_k&feature=user

So far it's the only piece i've learned on uke,...and i've got it flowing pretty good now. I kinda follow the suggestion
to stick with one piece at a time anyway,....so that's what i did.

I used Dominator's tab found in this listing: http://dominator.ukeland.com/index2.shtml
There are a few minor differences in the tab from John's performance,.....but i'll get it worked out fully eventually.
John's fingers were pretty thick, so tough to see a lot of what's he's doing in the few differences.
I've got John King's tab book on order, so it might have this tune there complete.

John King,....RIP

BTW, i love Jake Shimabukuro playing, as many of you do also. But i was a bit bummed out that a lot of the files on Dominator's site have been removed at Jake's request. Surely he's not concerned were all gonna give him any competition? lol
I doubt having some of his arrangements freely available to inspire others is going to put a dent in his financials.
Pet pieve.........

Cliff Rogers
07-15-2011, 09:42 PM
We had another Guitar & Mando jam today, this time we had a Sax instead of a Uke.
We (I) learned Twilight Time & it has some very good sounding cords in it, worth looking up.

vetcvm
07-15-2011, 10:54 PM
from the songs i am playing on the Uke these are the ones i find the easyest:

Without you (Eddie Vedder)
Good man (Josh ritter)
The one i love (REM)
Two princes (spin doctors)
Over the rainbow (IZ)
One (U2)
Mad world (Gary jules)

Blisters_left
07-15-2011, 11:31 PM
In the moment I'm playing/learning

I do by colbie caillat
Something in the water by brooke something

and I startet to learn Bruno Mars's Lazy Song...

Fliss
07-15-2011, 11:51 PM
"Awkward Annie" by Kate Rusby
"Lola" by the Kinks

And as an instrumental (from the tutor book!) "Corrine Corrina" :)

Fliss

Cliff Rogers
07-17-2011, 01:53 AM
The Kentucky Waltz is another good one to try.