Buying my first Concert..?

Josiahjjr

Reaction score
I have a cheap soprano uke and I've been looking to upgrade for a little while now.
I really like the sound of Ibanez guitars. So why not an Ibanez ukulele?

I found this Talman style uke marked down, and I LOVE the shape, but it's not worth it if it sounds like crap.

UTCY10ENT.jpg

So,
I'm worried if it'll sacrifice sound because of the double cutaway. Am I just paranoid or will it actually detriment the sound?

Any feedback is appreciated :)

I am not expert but I do not think the double cutaway would affect the sound to much. If it is like other Ibenez ukes it will be a laminate. I have played one Ibenez uke and personally was not to inpressed with the sound. They make some pretty instruments though.

I don't know anything about Ibanez ukes. We got our son an Ibanez elect. guitar last year. I've got a Mainland concert on order, but I have no idea when I will get it. I ordered and paid for it the middle of last month, but note that their website says "sometime in July." Also they may be getting ready for the Uke Festival which I think is on the 17th. I've heard so many good things about Mainland, that I'm willing to wait. FWIW

I've never been impressed with the ukes coming out of the big box guitar companies like fender or ibanez....the fenders being particularly unpleasing....They all just feel like they are toy guitars...not ukes...bracing seems heavy and the tops are usually thickish.... It is pretty i'll give you that....and looks do matter...but for the same price i think you could get alot more uke from someone like kala, mainland, or lanikai... Personally i'd take the mainland *i have two...*

If you have a Sam Ash around you somewhere, they all (at least in Chicagoland) have a large assortment of ukes. It's weird, they used to have one or two, but now they have 20+ different ones to choose from. I'm a firm believer in trying an instrument before you buy it, so if you are able to, I'd suggest you go to a store that has a nice assortment of ukes and try them all out (at least the ones in your price range) and decide from there, Don't worry about the name on the headstock.

Dan

Uke Republic is the closest and mainland Mike and Mims...they are all reputable dealers and do setups for free going out to you...check them out..in the long run you get a better playing and sounding
ukulele..and the setups will make your uke sound best and motivate you...good luck... MM Stan

I have a cheap soprano uke and I've been looking to upgrade for a little while now.
I really like the sound of Ibanez guitars. So why not an Ibanez ukulele?

I found this Talman style uke marked down, and I LOVE the shape, but it's not worth it if it sounds like crap.

UTCY10ENT.jpg

So,
I'm worried if it'll sacrifice sound because of the double cutaway. Am I just paranoid or will it actually detriment the sound?

Any feedback is appreciated :)

It's not the double cutaway that will sacrafisesound. It is the fact that it is an Ibanez. I have played three of them and not one was worth the money. Of course I didn't play it plugged in.

I'm also waiting for a Mainland Concert Uke, and I think the wait will be worth it. Mike is going to set it up "just right"!

I got a Mainland Sprucetop concert a couple months ago and it quickly became my go to uke. The wait will be worth it.

Top Bottom