Bass packages.

Ashockey16

Reaction score
Ok. So I am teaching myself the Uke and would really like to learn bass.
I would like to purchase one of those beginner packages. Any reccomendations or reviews?

Also. Do you think I should teAch myself or get lessons?

Bass packages are often a mix of inexpensive instruments and amps, so make sure you try them out together before buying. Don't buy a boxed item you can't play.

I prefer to buy individual items, so I can be sure what I get feels and sounds good. Because a bass is vastly different in size, scale, string thickness and weight, it might be better if you went with a friend who knew bass guitar to help you choose. But it has to feel and play right for you.

If you have the aptitude for playing, you can learn bass without teachers. But it is not the same as playing the ukulele. I'd suggest you look at various bass tutorials on YouTube first before deciding. You can always take lessons later. Bass is predominantly about accentuating the other instruments, providing both low-range backup and a percussive underline. It's not quite an intuitive leap between uke and bass styles.

Take a look at the short-scale basses too (30").

I recently bought an Ibanez Mikro bass and I love it! It was $179 but I upgraded to flatwound strings from Juststrings ($46) so it ended up being somewhat more, but it's amazing. I love the short scale - 28.6 inches. Much easier for a uke player to get used to. Do plan to upgrade to the flatwound strings. They are so much nicer to play and they sound great! http://www.juststrings.com/labellaelectricbassguitardeeptalkinflatwoundshort.html

Buy your amp separately. You can find lots of recommendations on the bass forum here at UU and on sites like musiciansfriend.com.

Good luck!

Mikro, eh? Have to look for one. Ibanez makes a good bass and I like the short scale. The deliberate mis-spelling of Micro will require some deep breathing, because I detest marketing agencies that create such aberrations. Like lite, boyz and other illiterate nonsense, "mikro" will annoy me until I scrape it off the headstock. But I'll look for one. Thanks for the tip.

Mikro, eh? Have to look for one. Ibanez makes a good bass and I like the short scale. The deliberate mis-spelling of Micro will require some deep breathing, because I detest marketing agencies that create such aberrations. Like lite, boyz and other illiterate nonsense, "mikro" will annoy me until I scrape it off the headstock. But I'll look for one. Thanks for the tip.

Hi Ian - think of it as German instead of misspelled! Just so you know - I did swap out the knobs on the Mikro (they were chromey plastic) but now it looks quite awesome.

The Yamaha basses are always good, I used a RBX 170 which served me well until i upgraded to a 5 string after a while.

Top Bottom