Jake in Byfield, Massachusetts

bvfrenchknitter

Reaction score
We went to see Jake at Governors Academy tonight, 7/11. The performance was run by the Firehouse but the Academy is a larger venue than the Firehouse (I think).

It was a great performance. The opening act was Ilo Ferreira, a Cape Verdian guitarist that was discovered by Jimmy Buffet. He, along with another guitar player and a sax player were great performers. I almost felt bad because you knew the audience was there for Jake but they appreciated the performance of Ilo and his fellow performers.

After a 20 minute intermission Jake walked out without any fanfare. I'd never seen him before and I was surprised by his ease and unassuming manner.

I'm sure I won't remember all of the songs but the first one was 143 (Kelly's Song) He also played Blue Roses Falling, Bring your Adz, Five Dollar Unleaded, and an amazing rendition of Hallelujah.

He also did a japanese song in which the ukulele was suppose to sound like an ancient japanese instrument. That Japanese instrument had lots of strings, over 10, 13 maybe? I don't know how he managed to get the sound.

His last songs were Bohemian Rhapsody - beautiful and Crazy G, which was lots of fun.

Even the line to meet Jake was fun. There were people playing ukes and discussing strings and brands of ukes. I even met someone who lurkes here on UU.

I had never seen Jake in person and it was an amazing experience. The venue was small and intimate and we were lucky enough to have front row seats. My wife even enjoyed it. She had told everyone I was dragging her to a ukulele concert but by the end she was a convert.
And here is the obligatory photo of me and Jake.

Top Bottom