Fremont Blacklines...

Ataraxia

Reaction score
So I was thinking of picking some up to put on my soprano. Are the mediums or hards closest to standard Aquila strings(gauge wise)? I've heard good things about Worths, but it's 17$ for a pack.. I think I'd rather pay 7-8 for one pack of the Fremonts. I realize that Worths provide enough to string up twice, but I'm the type of person who likes to experiment with different strings until I find the perfect set. Also, since the uke was set up with Aquilas, should I need to adjust the action for the Fremonts? I'd like to get a set of fluorocarbons on there without any adjustments.. Aquilas are HORRIBLE (IMO) in Taiwan's climate. The high level of humidity wreaks havoc on the nylon strings. I've never had any problems with fluorocarbons, they maintain tuning verrrryyy well.

Thanks a lot in advance for any advice! I always look forward to hearing what everyone has to say. There are many wonderful people in these forums, many of them more knowledgeable than myself. Cheers to all you guys (and girls) who keep the spirit of Hawaii and the ukulele alive on this site and in your local communities.

Peace. :cool:

I put the freemont light or medium I forget on my Maccaferri but also put them on one of my other ukes. I kept them on the macaferri for the color but prefer Martin's on my mahogany ukes. Have you tried the Martin? They are pretty standard and the same set, M600 is used on concerts and sopranos so theres no thinking required--I like that.

They sound really good in all of the comparison videos I've heard, but I'll be buying them from UkeRepublic and they don't have the Martin strings in stock. I have a choice of Worths, Fremonts, Orcas, Kala Reds, Ko'olau, and Lucy's. I might pick up some Martin strings locally next time I visit the music shop. The music stores here are horrible, it's certainly one thing I miss about the U.S. .... we have the best music shops in the world :D.

They sound really good in all of the comparison videos I've heard, but I'll be buying them from UkeRepublic and they don't have the Martin strings in stock. I have a choice of Worths, Fremonts, Orcas, Kala Reds, Ko'olau, and Lucy's. I might pick up some Martin strings locally next time I visit the music shop. The music stores here are horrible, it's certainly one thing I miss about the U.S. .... we have the best music shops in the world :D.

I've been very please with Ko'olau strings. The Alohi's are purple! Blacklines are nice though. You shouldn't have to fiddle with the nut at all. Fluorocarbons are going to be rough on your fingers for a bit until you build up your calluses. Just so you know.

Yup ....Skitzic says it right..love my Koolau alohis....they sweeten any uke out....also Martin M600 too

I've been very please with Ko'olau strings. The Alohi's are purple! Blacklines are nice though. You shouldn't have to fiddle with the nut at all. Fluorocarbons are going to be rough on your fingers for a bit until you build up your calluses. Just so you know.

Thanks for the tip! :D. I've been playing guitar(mostly acoustic) for 7 years, so my fingers aren't afraid of any uke strings haha. I think maybe I should give them a shot. I appreciate it!

Thanks Stan! That's 2 for Martin and 2 for Ko'olau.. hard to go wrong either way! :)

+1 for the Fremonts. I like the Fremont hards for fingerpicking, but the mediums are nice too. I also like the Martins. They sound great on my koa concert uke. No opinion on the Alohis. Haven't tried them yet. I didn't like the Koolau Golds but I'd be willing to give the Alohis a try since they've gotten raves here lately.

Also, I found Orcas indistinguishable from the Fremont mediums. Both are good.

Also, I found Orcas indistinguishable from the Fremont mediums. Both are good.

That's good to know! I've tried the Orcas before and was quite happy with them, I think the Fremont Mediums would be perfect for me then... AND cheaper :D. Thanks!

Let me second the Orcas as a choice in place of the Fremonts. I put Orcas on my I'iwi and they have excellent resilience and a really sweet sound.

I recommend you try Worths too. Maybe you can try a friend's or at a shop?
I have tried several nylons, Aquila and in the end, I really liked Worth's sound and "feel" when strumming.
My preference are Worth BMs but I also have a Kamaka strung with Worth Clears (CI-IWAO specs).

Top Bottom