DVI, GL6 or Mele Guitarlele?

marymac

Reaction score
Hi All -

I tried out guitars over the last couple months and found them gi-normous after my lovely little ukes. Couldn't get into the super-long scale and the strings are too dang close together. Last week I bought (and have now returned) a Cordoba Requinto 480. Loved the scale and it was gorgeous, but I still missed the wider string spacing on the uke. I also realized I was trying to learn too many things at once; adding the EADGBE fingering to my To-Do list was too much.

So - I'm thinking about getting one of the guitarlele's that are on the market - the koaloha DVI, Kanilea GL6 or Mele Guitarlele. (I tried to jump on the DVI for sale on FMM yesterday but so did a ton of other people.) What I'm wondering, from those who have tried these, is whether the string spacing is like that of a guitar or a uke? The requinto I tried had a 44mm nut and it was tooooo narrow. I'm thinking that whatever I get should have a nut width more like a standard classical guitar (52mm?), but on a uke body (tenor or bari).

Any opinions or string spacing measurements you can offer are welcome. Thanks! - Mary

The KoAloha D-VI has a 51mm nut with the space between the strings about 7 mm (maybe a bit less). My Kala tenor, in comparison has 8mm between the strings. I don't know about the others.

–Lori

The KoAloha D-VI has a 51mm nut with the space between the strings about 7 mm (maybe a bit less). My Kala tenor, in comparison has 8mm between the strings. I don't know about the others.

–Lori

Thanks Lori! That's exactly the info I'm looking for. I wish Koaloha and Kanilea would put the specs like this on their websites like the guitar companies do! How do you like your DVI?

I've owned a Koaloha D-VI and currently still have a Mele guitarlele.

The Koaloha D-VI is a truly nice instrument. The one that I had was set up perfect from the factory and rang out loud and proud. The workmanship was impeccable. I sold it only because the neck was a little too wide for my liking. I wrap my thumb around the top of the fingerboard to make barre chords up the neck and I realized that I could just not get to those bass notes with my thumb. It just wasn't right for me.

I still have the Mele. The neck is just right for my style of playing. I absolutely love the instrument and will never part with it. I did a review of it on my YouTube channel. Mele has since included that review on their website. Here is a link to the review: http://www.meleukulele.com/shopcontent.asp?type=videos

The review is the 4th video down.

I've never played a GL-6 so I can't offer anything to you on that one.

Last edited:
I've owned a Koaloha D-VI and currently still have a Mele guitarlele.

The Koaloha D-VI is a truly nice instrument. The one that I had was set up perfect from the factory and rang out loud and proud. The workmanship was impeccable. I sold it only because the neck was a little too wide for my liking. I wrap my thumb around the top of the fingerboard to make barre chords up the neck and I realized that I could just not get to those bass notes with my thumb. It just wasn't right for me.

I still have the Mele. The neck is just right for my style of playing. I absolutely love the instrument and will never part with it. I did a review of it on my YouTube channel. Mele has since included that review on their website. Here is a link to the review: http://www.meleukulele.com/shopcontent.asp?type=videos

The review is the 4th video down.

I've never played a GL-6 so I can't offer anything to you on that one.

Great review and great playing Dog! I love the dogs playing in the background too. Sounds like my house! As far as nut width, I can't even get my thumb around on a soprano so there's no way I'd be worried about that for a bigger instrument like this. It sounds like the neck on the Mele is narrower than that of the DVI though since you're able to reach around it. Is that right? Could you measure the nut width and string spacing on the Mele if you have time? Love that beautiful mahogany body. Thanks! - Mary

Last edited:
Thanks Lori! That's exactly the info I'm looking for. I wish Koaloha and Kanilea would put the specs like this on their websites like the guitar companies do! How do you like your DVI?

I am still experimenting with the strings, and I haven't had much time to figure it all out. I have quarter scale guitar strings from LaBella on it right now. I am impressed with the rich tone of the low end in EADGBE tuning, but the upper end lacks brightness with this set. I might have to do some mixing and matching. I had an intonation issue on the second string, and it might be due to a bad string. The strings it came with had a bit of the problem, but they were used. It just might be a coincidence that the new LaBella string was off on #2 too, or I might need a saddle adjustment. I love the size of it, so if I can get these adjustments made, I will be happy. On the few occasions I tried other guitarleles, I was disappointed in the low end tone. It might be improved with different strings though.

–Lori

I am still experimenting with the strings, and I haven't had much time to figure it all out. I have quarter scale guitar strings from LaBella on it right now. I am impressed with the rich tone of the low end in EADGBE tuning, but the upper end lacks brightness with this set. I might have to do some mixing and matching. I had an intonation issue on the second string, and it might be due to a bad string. The strings it came with had a bit of the problem, but they were used. It just might be a coincidence that the new LaBella string was off on #2 too, or I might need a saddle adjustment. I love the size of it, so if I can get these adjustments made, I will be happy. On the few occasions I tried other guitarleles, I was disappointed in the low end tone. It might be improved with different strings though.

–Lori

I really liked the low end tone on the Cordoba I tried so I'm glad to hear the DVI has a nice low end. Especially since it's the smallest of these three guitarleles. I'm planning to use what ever I get in ADGCEA tuning though. I've recommitted myself to the uke so I want to use the GCEA tuning where possible. I'm even trying it on my baris though I haven't been thrilled by any of the strings yet. Still working on that part. So far DGBE sounds way better on them, but I still have hope! Thanks for the help on the DVI - Mary

The neck width of the Mele is 1-3/4". The strings are spaced 5/16" apart. The scale length is 20-1/8".

I hope this helps.

Hi Marymac,

weighing in with the Kanilea point of view. I have my little beauty the GL6 on my lap and can say.....applying ruler.......51mm nut......and.......hmmmm I'd say 7mm or just a fraction more between the strings - so very much like what Lori says about the DVI. Of course the Mele and DVI are less cash than the Kanilea but I was fascinated by the qualities of the GL6 neck including the body joining at the 16th fret which is pretty outrageous but flippin brilliant!

I played an Admira classical guitar for ages before uke fever took over, the GL6 neck is very much like the classical in width and feel so it suits me fine. The sound is terrific, in fact the best sounding instrument I have ever owned, it shocks me sometimes and I look down at myself and think 'was that really me creating that sound?'. I also have the K-2 Tenor, the strings on that are.... oh hang on I'll go fetch it......mmmmm about 9mm apart, maybe a touch more, and the difference is very noticeable when swapping from one to t'other which I do quite often. If you asked me though I'd say I prefer the spacings on the GL6.

Happy hunting! Ken

I now own 'whendogsing' KoAloha DVI and it is a beaut. The reason I went for it over the others as to me its the only Guitalele that still sounds like a uke because of its bright tone... the others sounded more guitar like but for me that was a bad thing as the small body made them sound like weak guitars.

Here's a vid of mine (previously whendogsing's): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOCHKGBYz9c

-James

Hmmm. not so sure all the others are so 'weak guitar' like. I can only speak for the GL6 but it is built in exactly the same way as a Kanilea Uke with the 'Tru' bracing and a super tenor body with a rather special neck attached. I thought it was a bit too bright when I first got it so put Worth Browns on for stings 1 and 2, the rest are Pro Arte EJ45C and it sounds great to me now.

Here are 2 Nevin tunes, the first plays around mostly with the non-uke strings the second plays a lot on those Worths and it sounds very 'uke' to me. Sorry about the bad microphone, I had nothing better at the time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xz8hjNv3Tus

Ken

That second tune is stunning man, really nicely played too. Yeah thats the uke sound I'm on about, lush :)

Last edited:
Cheers mate! And I just watched 'Butterflys' on the DVI that you posted and I'm blissed out (without a vodka which is some achievement!)

Hi Mary! I have both of the three guitarleles yo're mentioning and I would say that my favorite one is the Kanilea GL6. It's the one that has the fullest sound of the 3.....because of it's body, it gives you a better bottom end spectrum.

The neck might be longer than your stanadrd tenor uke also.

If you want something that is very close to the standard tenor uke but in guitarlele, then go with the DVI....It's really a tenor uke with a wider neck for 6 strings but other than that, it's a tenor uke!!

It also sounds very good too...maybe not articulate as the GL6 but very nice...it's really a matter of taste...

But for having a whole bunch of guitarlele ( 2 yamaha, DVI, GL6, custom Little River guitarlele, custom archtop guitarlele), the one that I always pick when I want to play is the GL6!

I don't know if you saw the clip I recently post on the board...but if not, you can hear it here...you will have a brief idea of the sound of the GL6...

Hope it can help you in any way!

Wow - great info everyone! Thanks for the measurements too. Interesting that the Kanilea tenor has 9mm between strings and the GL6 is only 7mm. That's a lot of difference.

Such great music you all are making on these. To all you guys who posted videos, are you using your guitarlele in ADGCEA tuning or standard guitar tuning?

Bao - I saw your Yesterday video last week. Great! And I loved Casarole45's Butterflies tune and Ken's Ethelbert Woodbridge Nevin song (never heard of him before!) Now I just have to decide if I can afford a (another) $1400 uke or if I should stick with the $700 Mele. Better sleep on this one. Where did you all order your GL6's and DVI's?

Mary,
It sounds like, given your strong preference for ukulele-like string spacing, that the D-VI might be your best bet. I definitely agree with you about the requinto 480. It sounds great but the string spacing is a big adjustment. Please let us know what you decide and whether you find that elusive guitarlele with ukulele string spacing!

Mary,
It sounds like, given your strong preference for ukulele-like string spacing, that the D-VI might be your best bet. I definitely agree with you about the requinto 480. It sounds great but the string spacing is a big adjustment. Please let us know what you decide and whether you find that elusive guitarlele with ukulele string spacing!

Well, I'll probably just have to adjust to the narrower spacing to some extent. I measured the string spacing on my concerts and they're all 9-10mm. Probably if they made the string spacing that wide on a guitarlele the fretboard would be really wide and I'd be whinging about that instead of the string spacing! I'm leaning towards the DVI myself. I'm so bummed I didn't get the one on FMM. Anyone got one to sell or trade?

Comparing stats from user measurements

||Uke || Nut width || String spacing (6 strings)||
  1. |Kanilea GL6 | 51mm | 7+mm |
  2. |Koaloha DVI | 51mm | 7-mm' |
  3. |Mele Guitarlele | 1.75" = 45mm | 5/16" = 7.9mm |

Did I read those post right? If so, the mele has a narrower nut but wider string spacing. THAT's interesting.

Last edited:
Wow - great info everyone! Thanks for the measurements too. Interesting that the Kanilea tenor has 9mm between strings and the GL6 is only 7mm. That's a lot of difference.

Such great music you all are making on these. To all you guys who posted videos, are you using your guitarlele in ADGCEA tuning or standard guitar tuning?

Bao - I saw your Yesterday video last week. Great! And I loved Casarole45's Butterflies tune and Ken's Ethelbert Woodbridge Nevin song (never heard of him before!) Now I just have to decide if I can afford a (another) $1400 uke or if I should stick with the $700 Mele. Better sleep on this one. Where did you all order your GL6's and DVI's?

Hi Mary! For sure you will have to adjust yourself a little bit on the 6 strings because the string spaecement is a little smaller but it's not that much.....and trust me, I know that you have a MP and in my book, there's no other uke that has that string spacement....but you will see that going from a MP to a GL6 is no big deal!!

As for tuning, I use ADGCEA strung with classical guitar strings.....and I'm a fan of Oasis strings...it's what I use in my clip.

I bought my GL6 from MGM a few years ago already since thn, I haven't seen much on the market. But if you contact directly Kanilea, you can get a custom one for really not much!!!! Back then I wanted a spruce top- koa back and sides and the quote was really close to the ''standard'' all koa. So you should contact them if you want one I think...

For the DVI, I'm bought it directly at Koaloha and Brian choose it for me since....I'm in Montreal!

Mele one was bought directly via Mele too.

Seriously, I think you should save for a GL6 or DVI....don't go for the Mele...it looks and feel cheaper than the 2 others by far....well in my opinion!!

Thanks

Top Bottom