PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about the Kala KA-SLNG, any input

austinlee
07-11-2011, 08:35 AM
Hello All,

It's been a while since I got a new uke, so I was searching and found the Kala KA-SLNG. And I thought "Wow, how interesting!". It has a long concert neck on the soprano body. I love the classic soprano sound, but not the classic size. I initially was thinking about a concert size but this popped up and stirred my imagination. I would appreciate anyones input on the subject of long neck sopranos vs. concert or on this model specifically. If you have both, which do you prefer?

Thanks!

Lori
07-11-2011, 09:11 AM
I really like long neck sopranos. I have the Kala Flame Maple/ Sitka spruce super soprano, and I like it a lot. It gives you that nice plucky uke sound, but more room for the fingers. I also have a couple of super concerts (tenor neck on concert body) and I like those too. If I were to get a high end soprano, it would definitely be a long neck. Long necks tend to be top heavy, so you might want a strap.

–Lori

Huna
07-11-2011, 09:13 AM
I wanted one of those Kalas and still would like one! I have a long neck ohana but the neck is too long because its a Tenor on a Soprano. I think a concert would be plenty and I heard that Kala on youtube and it sounded great. Plus its gloss and looks so nice being so shiny. I thought those were hard to get! I might get me one

Uke Whisperer
07-11-2011, 09:17 AM
Hello,

Just purchased KA-SLNG Saturday. I prefer the sound of Soprano but I like the playability of the Concert neck. I was considering the KIWAYA but the ECO line has been discontinued. It was very much more $ and since I wanted it as a "carry with me" / "beater" laminate Uke the KALA seemed the way to go for me. The KIWAYA's special thin laminate a little louder and sounded a bit more like a solid top uke, even though the KALA I bought sounds surprisingly good, intonation good and neck fits in my hands exactly like I wanted. I've been playing it a LOT the last few days and have no regrets. I noticed I had made a mistake in my recent "new uke day" post.... I paid less than $90.00 including tax (not $80.00)

austinlee
07-11-2011, 03:39 PM
Yup, sound like the Kala is in my future. There are some on Amazon for $78, so can't really beat that price, but ordering from Amazon kind of worries me, I order a uke from there once and it looked like it was a second or returned or something, so I returned it for another, the next one was nice though.
Funny that Lori chimed in and mentioned the strap, I watched her youtube video on the uke leashes and they seem like a great product.
Uke Whisperer, please post a video of your uke, I'd love to see it in action!

Huna
07-11-2011, 03:45 PM
you could pay six bucks more even on amazon and get it from sam ash instead of austin bazaar

Uke Whisperer
07-11-2011, 11:49 PM
Yup, sound like the Kala is in my future. There are some on Amazon for $78, so can't really beat that price, but ordering from Amazon kind of worries me, I order a uke from there once and it looked like it was a second or returned or something, so I returned it for another, the next one was nice though.
Funny that Lori chimed in and mentioned the strap, I watched her youtube video on the uke leashes and they seem like a great product.
Uke Whisperer, please post a video of your uke, I'd love to see it in action!

Hello,
I just purchased a recorder and hope to get it going this weekend. Grand Kids coming to visit (adults) and one an IT guy that I am counting-on to get me up to speed on how to use it and how to post. I'll try to get one done and posted.
...Tom...

phil hague
07-12-2011, 12:59 AM
I recently bought a solid spruce top kala soprano. Its surprisingly good.

Huna
07-12-2011, 01:00 AM
if you didn't get it yet, consider the anuenue too ya know.

Sambient
07-17-2011, 03:47 AM
if you didn't get it yet, consider the anuenue too ya know.

Definitely!

savagehenry
07-17-2011, 04:58 PM
I got a Kala long neck, the spruce top with spalted flamed maple back and sides and I love it. I actually have it tuned low g right now and it's pretty cool. I understand why people love the long neck sopranos, sound great and more room on the fretboard. I would highly recommend one, maybe someday I'll get a KoAloha longneck pineapple.

PhilUSAFRet
07-08-2012, 01:15 AM
I got a Kala long neck, the spruce top with spalted flamed maple back and sides and I love it. I actually have it tuned low g right now and it's pretty cool. I understand why people love the long neck sopranos, sound great and more room on the fretboard. I would highly recommend one, maybe someday I'll get a KoAloha longneck pineapple.

Maybe you could get one for your Dad too.....maybe they will give you a discount if you buy two????????????