Thinking about the Kala KA-SLNG, any input

austinlee

Reaction score
Hello All,

It's been a while since I got a new uke, so I was searching and found the Kala KA-SLNG. And I thought "Wow, how interesting!". It has a long concert neck on the soprano body. I love the classic soprano sound, but not the classic size. I initially was thinking about a concert size but this popped up and stirred my imagination. I would appreciate anyones input on the subject of long neck sopranos vs. concert or on this model specifically. If you have both, which do you prefer?

Thanks!

I really like long neck sopranos. I have the Kala Flame Maple/ Sitka spruce super soprano, and I like it a lot. It gives you that nice plucky uke sound, but more room for the fingers. I also have a couple of super concerts (tenor neck on concert body) and I like those too. If I were to get a high end soprano, it would definitely be a long neck. Long necks tend to be top heavy, so you might want a strap.

–Lori

I wanted one of those Kalas and still would like one! I have a long neck ohana but the neck is too long because its a Tenor on a Soprano. I think a concert would be plenty and I heard that Kala on youtube and it sounded great. Plus its gloss and looks so nice being so shiny. I thought those were hard to get! I might get me one

Hello,

Just purchased KA-SLNG Saturday. I prefer the sound of Soprano but I like the playability of the Concert neck. I was considering the KIWAYA but the ECO line has been discontinued. It was very much more $ and since I wanted it as a "carry with me" / "beater" laminate Uke the KALA seemed the way to go for me. The KIWAYA's special thin laminate a little louder and sounded a bit more like a solid top uke, even though the KALA I bought sounds surprisingly good, intonation good and neck fits in my hands exactly like I wanted. I've been playing it a LOT the last few days and have no regrets. I noticed I had made a mistake in my recent "new uke day" post.... I paid less than $90.00 including tax (not $80.00)

Yup, sound like the Kala is in my future. There are some on Amazon for $78, so can't really beat that price, but ordering from Amazon kind of worries me, I order a uke from there once and it looked like it was a second or returned or something, so I returned it for another, the next one was nice though.
Funny that Lori chimed in and mentioned the strap, I watched her youtube video on the uke leashes and they seem like a great product.
Uke Whisperer, please post a video of your uke, I'd love to see it in action!

you could pay six bucks more even on amazon and get it from sam ash instead of austin bazaar

Yup, sound like the Kala is in my future. There are some on Amazon for $78, so can't really beat that price, but ordering from Amazon kind of worries me, I order a uke from there once and it looked like it was a second or returned or something, so I returned it for another, the next one was nice though.
Funny that Lori chimed in and mentioned the strap, I watched her youtube video on the uke leashes and they seem like a great product.
Uke Whisperer, please post a video of your uke, I'd love to see it in action!

Hello,
I just purchased a recorder and hope to get it going this weekend. Grand Kids coming to visit (adults) and one an IT guy that I am counting-on to get me up to speed on how to use it and how to post. I'll try to get one done and posted.
...Tom...

I got a Kala long neck, the spruce top with spalted flamed maple back and sides and I love it. I actually have it tuned low g right now and it's pretty cool. I understand why people love the long neck sopranos, sound great and more room on the fretboard. I would highly recommend one, maybe someday I'll get a KoAloha longneck pineapple.

I got a Kala long neck, the spruce top with spalted flamed maple back and sides and I love it. I actually have it tuned low g right now and it's pretty cool. I understand why people love the long neck sopranos, sound great and more room on the fretboard. I would highly recommend one, maybe someday I'll get a KoAloha longneck pineapple.

Maybe you could get one for your Dad too.....maybe they will give you a discount if you buy two????????????

Top Bottom