Problems with my C string. It doesn't sound right.

Dane

Reaction score
I play an Oscar Schmidt OU3 and at one point I did replace the strings. But I cannot recall what the strings are. I believe the packaging said Soprano, but that it worked with Concert (I know nothing about this)

I used small bits of wet paper both on the saddle and on the nut for each string to reduce all the small rattles that it had been producing. But my C string still feels funky. It's in tune when I play it open, but when I have to play higher on the fretboard with it (Especially if its played just by itself) it sounds terrible to me. This keeps me from learning the songs that use more of the higher C-string notes because it just doesn't sound right to me. (And I was very careful when replacing strings, so it is the correct string if it was labeled correctly when packaged. It also looks to be the thickest, which is correct by my knowledge)

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

the sizes (from smallest to largest) goes soprano, concert, tenor, baritone. if youre trying to use soprano strings on a concert uke, maybe thats why. even if it says it CAN work on another size, i wouldnt chance it. plus, theres no real downside to changing strings in this situation. there was a thread on something like this, but im too tired to find it.

the sizes (from smallest to largest) goes soprano, concert, tenor, baritone. if youre trying to use soprano strings on a concert uke, maybe thats why. even if it says it CAN work on another size, i wouldnt chance it. plus, theres no real downside to changing strings in this situation. there was a thread on something like this, but im too tired to find it.

I searched and tried to find anything on this subject but I could not. I find it a bit odd that I wouldn't have any problems with the other 3 strings though.

I finally found the packaging it came in and they are D'Addario J65 Clear Nylon. With no specific uke size. I searched for their other strings and they do make some specifically for Concert and Tenor etc. Perhaps I should just look into new strings and see how it sounds.

EDIT: Please excuse the double post.

Last edited:
If it sounded OK with the first strings you had on it (i.e. only sounded bad after you changed strings) you might have just gotten a bad set of strings.

If the gauges of the strings are significantly different than the original ones, it may just need to be set up again (action adjusted, etc.).

I'm thinking it's probably the latter (needs a setup). Intonation issues on OS ukes is not an uncommon thing, but should be fixable.

However, for budget reasons, try a new set of strings first.

Also, as far as using a gauge for a different uke size goes, I have concert gauge strings on all of my sopranos and they work great. I like the extra tension and the (slight) extra volume. The only uke I have soprano strings on is my sopranino. :)

Last edited:
If it sounded OK with the first strings you had on it (i.e. only sounded bad after you changed strings) you might have just gotten a bad set of strings.

If the gauges of the strings are significantly different than the original ones, it may just need to be set up again (action adjusted, etc.).

I'm thinking it's probably the latter (needs a setup). Intonation issues on OS ukes is not an uncommon thing, but should be fixable.

However, for budget reasons, try a new set of strings first.

Also, as far as using a gauge for a different uke size goes, I have concert gauge strings on all of my sopranos and they work great. I like the extra tension and the (slight) extra volume. The only uke I have soprano strings on is my sopranino. :)

I really was expecting your reply to just be that the "m" is silent.

Honestly I knew absolutely nothing about the way my uke should sound when I first had it. I had broken a string so I just went and replaced them all (It came originally with some very rough and cheap feeling strings)

I picked up some Aquilla concerts today and put them on real quick, adjusted for the many rattles from the nut and saddle and then gave it a good breaking in to get the strings settled. Lets just say I was very pleased to hear that all my notes placed on the 3rd string sounded deep and clean. I am very happy with my new strings.

I do still have a strange rattle to my E string but I cannot find it out. It only rattles when played loudly and only when played open. I've tried to put a little spitball in the nut a few times but each time it still rattles. I'm not sure what the problem is exactly. The rattle sounds like it is coming from the bridge somewhere. And I checked to see that no excess string was vibrating against the body or anything. Any help on that would be appreciated as well.

Thank you very much for the replys! Howlin I've talked to you on ukulelecosmos a few times as "TheDane" before but I'm not sure if you remember me. Love your stuff my friend.

as long as its a c string and not your g string...
...which would be quite uncomfortable

I'm also having a problem with the C string on my uke.
I just bought my first ukulele (I've played guitar for years), and although I'm loving it, and playing it all the time, my C string has a buzz, particularly when played loudly. It seems to be emanating from the bridge, but I'm not 100% sure.
My uke is an inexpensive model ($169 from Empire Music here in Canada), so I know the sound quality will be far from perfect, but I'd still like to eliminate this buzz, if I can.
As others have said, the strings may be a factor. It came with GHS strings, but I have a set of Aquila strings on order.
Any advice would be very much appreciated.
Thanks, and Cheers,
Shawn.

If it's coming from the bridge it could be that it doesnt sit high enough on the saddle and its touching frets ocassionally. At least that's the experience I've had with some of my strings. Which is easily corrected with a small piece of paper between the string and the saddle. But don't take my word for it, I don't know that much.

What brand/model uke is it? Dane's right but my C string used to buzz but I found out oddly enough the battery holder in my pickup shook. Try picking all your strings quite hard to make sure it's only that string.

I always look for little things too like if there is any excess string near the bridge that might be rattling against something. I finally fixed all my rattles, now it sounds lovely.

What brand/model uke is it? Dane's right but my C string used to buzz but I found out oddly enough the battery holder in my pickup shook. Try picking all your strings quite hard to make sure it's only that string.

Hi Jimmy,

it's called "The Classic", and the paper on the inside says, "Pure Hawaiian, Classic Low 'A' Model CHK-23". I bought it from Empire Music here in Canada for $169, so I guess it's just kind of an inexpensive beginner uke.

The C string is definitely the only one buzzing. It tends to buzz a lot more when I pick the string over the soundhole, and not so much when I strum it up the neck.

Perhaps the Aquila strings will make some difference, when I receive them (they're on order).

Cheers,
Shawn.

Hi Jimmy,

it's called "The Classic", and the paper on the inside says, "Pure Hawaiian, Classic Low 'A' Model CHK-23". I bought it from Empire Music here in Canada for $169, so I guess it's just kind of an inexpensive beginner uke.

The C string is definitely the only one buzzing. It tends to buzz a lot more when I pick the string over the soundhole, and not so much when I strum it up the neck.

Perhaps the Aquila strings will make some difference, when I receive them (they're on order).

Cheers,
Shawn.

Oh, and I don't have a pickup put in it yet, although I hope to, soon.

i just changed my strings to D"adarios

Now i realised that my "E" string... The action on that is touching the frets.

WDF?:eek:
i dont know what to do, and now im getting some buzzing sound on the E string. but the others are ok..

What to do?

when my strings hit the frets I just fold a very small piece of paper and put it under the string on the saddle. It lifts it up a little and takes it off the fret.

Top Bottom