Wood..

Tudorp

Big guy with a lil' uke..
UU VIP
Reaction score
I found a source for some what seems to be pretty nice woods. I picked up some nice looking 1/8" mahogany sheets, some block and also they sent me some sample pieces of what they called "Caribbean" rosewood. It doesn't look as dark as the rosewoods I have seen for fretboards, but any of you know of any differences between that and Indian rosewood &
Brazilian rosewood other than the color? Would caribbean rosewood be good wood to use for fretboards?

Thanks in advance..

T

It's not a true Rosewood (Dalbergia), with a biological name of Metopium, browneii. It has a Janka rating of 2300. Most commonly used for flooring. Would most likely be a suitable candidate for fret boards and bridges.

Thanks Allen. That said, if you think it would be suitable for fret board use, I think I will try a piece of their sample and make a fret board for my next Aphid out of it to try it. When I get to making a larger scale, I think I'll try it on a more standard scale to compare. Thanks for the info, it gives me some references to do searches on for more info..

God Bless..

Top Bottom