Finger Nails

NYG010

Reaction score
Hey guys, so I realized I really hate keeping my finger nail(s) long, it just really bothers me! Is there any way to work around this? I'm assuming you cannot use guitar picks so I'm open to everything and anything really.

Trim your fingernails and keep them clean. For me, it's like washing behind the ears.

If you want to use a pick, use a pick. No one should fault you in any way over that. I go back and forth between flatpicking and fingerpicking as the mood suits me.

Trim your fingernails and keep them clean. For me, it's like washing behind the ears.

If you want to use a pick, use a pick. No one should fault you in any way over that. I go back and forth between flatpicking and fingerpicking as the mood suits me.
I totally agree with your theory, is there any downside or damage that can be done by using a pick? I hear using a felt pick is the "traditional" way to play?

Last edited:
I had a really long thumb nail that I took really good care of. The other 4 I made the nail go just past my fingers.

After seeing Jake last week I asked him about his nails and his thumb nail is barely over the skin so I'm trying that route for now. So far so good, I can still tremolo.

I had a really long thumb nail that I took really good care of. The other 4 I made the nail go just past my fingers.

After seeing Jake last week I asked him about his nails and his thumb nail is barely over the skin so I'm trying that route for now. So far so good, I can still tremolo.

Thank God you asked, Colin. I felt like a freak last time I saw him. I basically grabbed his hands and told him I needed to see his fingernails. He was VErY nice about it.

I can't stand keeping them long either. Once they start to get in the way of my typing, they're too long, and the strum/pick sound ends up being too clicky-clacky and thin. It seems like there's a really small sweet spot, and it probably varies depending on the individual's fingers and strum technique.

Maybe it is more important to have them at a consistent length?
I got used to play with the fingernails just a little bit grown past the flesh, but when I let it grow a bit further and making it pointier, it felt harder to play because I was not accustomed with that slight difference.
I don't know if I am making sense, but that's what I felt.

if i see me hand from the palm side. my nails are just 1-2 mms.
that allows me a normal strummin and a fast picado when needed.
and also allows me to play with finger or with nails depending on taste.

it's not necesary those big nails i've seen somewhere.

Same problem Have even tried to grow and they are so thin they break back and hurt. Also If I don't keep them trimmed I will bite them as they drive me nuts.
I have leather uke picks $4 ea way stiff same with felts ,thick and clumsy ,I have used jim "dunlop" nylon .38mm for years superthin and they work for me.these are guitar picks

Last edited:
Same problem Have even tried to grow and they are so thin they break back and hurt. Also If I don't keep them trimmed I will bite them as they drive me nuts.
I have leather uke picks $4 ea way stiff same with felts ,thick and clumsy ,I have used jim "dunlop" nylon .38mm for years superthin and they work for me.

Hey sorry did'nt understand what you said..are you preferring leather over felt? What would be the best pick to get?

Hey guys, so I realized I really hate keeping my finger nail(s) long, it just really bothers me! Is there any way to work around this? I'm assuming you cannot use guitar picks so I'm open to everything and anything really.

Don't then. I personally trim my fingernails all the way down and have no problems at all with trem picking or any other techniques. Your fingertips will develop callouses and produce a much warmer and cleaner tone than nails ever could. I started off filing my nails regularly, going through the chore of maintaining them at the proper length.. and then one day I realized how unnecessary it was. I never use fingernails on guitar either.

ive been having trouble with my nails too, they are very thin and when they are too long it is uncomfortable and imposible to do thigns, but when they are too short when i do rolls downward, the string hits my finger tip after my nail and produces a harmonic instead of a clear tone. i also cant tap with nails too long. i can seem to find a happy medium with this :(

for thin nails , polish seems to help a bit makes it feel better, they make it in clear and strengheners.

@ataraxia you make a good point, I also often play with the skin of the side of my thumb and it produces a much warmer tone that I like so no reason not to just play with the tips of finger that way too if you like the sound. any tips on developing the calouses and toughning them up?

if i see me hand from the palm side. my nails are just 1-2 mms.
that allows me a normal strummin and a fast picado when needed.
and also allows me to play with finger or with nails depending on taste.

it's not necesary those big nails i've seen somewhere.

+1 on that.

Even that small length increase takes a bit to get used to. After a couple months you don't even notice, except that it is easier to pick things up. :)

@ataraxia you make a good point, I also often play with the skin of the side of my thumb and it produces a much warmer tone that I like so no reason not to just play with the tips of finger that way too if you like the sound. any tips on developing the calouses and toughning them up?

Thanks! :D Yep, It might sound weird but I read this in an online guitar forum a long time ago... dip your fingers in peroxide or isopropyl alcohol, it helps to dry out the skin and callouses will in turn develop much more quickly. It seemed to work pretty well for me, but I also played guitar for 3 hours a day when I first learned.. so it's hard to say what did it haha.

P.S. Great job on the hymn contest! Your video was great, I really enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing and congratulations!

Why CAN'T you use guitar picks? They're as good on a ukulele as on a guitar. If that's your style of play, use them.

As for nails: cut them down to the quick. Use your fingertips and thumb to make the sound. Much better, cleaner and neater.

Why CAN'T you use guitar picks? They're as good on a ukulele as on a guitar. If that's your style of play, use them.

As for nails: cut them down to the quick. Use your fingertips and thumb to make the sound. Much better, cleaner and neater.

Well, I'm only telling you guys what I heard..From what I hear guitar picks will greatly reduce the lifespan of the body. Thats why they make felt or leather picks for ukes. Anyone know which is prefferred felt or leather??

Well, I'm only telling you guys what I heard..From what I hear guitar picks will greatly reduce the lifespan of the body. Thats why they make felt or leather picks for ukes. Anyone know which is prefferred felt or leather??

I've a nice used uke with a little guitar pick marks round the sound hole. Wish that person had used a soft pick.

I like the soft rubber picks called Wedgies, and sometimes I use a felt one, but mostly I use fingernails and fingers.

Top Bottom