Why are my Nylguts so stiff?

Noobie

Reaction score
I was at a couple music shops today and playing around with a variety of instruments which were strung with Aquila Nylgut (some Cordobas and Kalas). I noticed that the strings on all of them felt very soft and pliable, but the ones I purchased a few weeks ago and put on my Kala KA-KC seem stiff as heck in comparison. Is there something wrong with my strings?

Did you buy concerts or sopranos, because strang up 2 identical ukes one with concerts and one with soprano aquilas, and I also felt that the concerts were a but too stiff, the sopranos were just right, even on a concert sized uke.

IMO nylguts are stiffer (more tension) Than other strings I've tried. I like them that way, hope they never change. I can't stand mushy feeling strings. But that's just my opinion.

Nylgut strings tend to be heavier gauge and have higher tension than the D'Addario Pro Artes - and much higher than the Worth "High Tension" strings. You can compare the specs here: http://www.juststrings.com/aqu-atrc.html.

Being a jazz guitar player for a few decades, I like big, beefy, high tension strings - so my ukes all have really low action with very high tension strings. I typically string my concert ukes with tenor strings to give me the feel and level of precision that I prefer.

Just a reminder... make sure that your ukulele can take the added force on the bridge and soundboard if you want to take the high tension route.

Of course, there is nothing wrong with floppy strings, if that is what you are into...

Top Bottom