Vintage Model Long Neck Soprano for bbycrts

Bradford

Reaction score
I got to spend a very nice couple of hours with UU's bbycrts, his wife and daughter at my house and shop yesterday. He delivered some walnut for me to use in his upcoming build. He has requested that I post the progress pics here, so these are the first. We are concentrating on Oregon woods, with a myrtle body and a Port Orford cedar top. Enjoy!

Brad

Attachments

• bbycrts 001.jpg
    bbycrts 001.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 156
  • bbycrts 002.jpg
    bbycrts 002.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 131
  • bbycrts 003.jpg
    bbycrts 003.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 126
We had the BEST time visiting Brad! I could've talked with him until the sun went down, but I had an antsy 5-year-old who was dying to get out onto the beach...

I got to fondle several of the instruments Brad has posted here...the mini pineapple is great fun and sounds good, too! It is a perfect fit for my Emma...

emmaandpineapple.jpg

I also got to check out an Amy that he's just about finished with (you can't even believe how cool that model is until you hold it!) and a beautiful archtop. Also got to see his new "youthalele" that he created so teams of parents/supporters can put together from simple plans to support music programs in schools - the materials may be basic, but the uke sounded great!

All in all just a fantastic day - there's something special about getting to touch the wood and talk to the luthier right at the start of the project. I can't wait to watch the progress!

I would love to hear more about the youthalele. Availability, price, pictures.

The back is the same wood as the sides, I just put a coat of shellac sanding sealer on it to bring out the grain pattern.

Brad

I have to apologize for all the PoHos in here making fun of my username. It does indeed stand for Baby Carrots.

Thanks for sharing this project. Great fun to watch an Oregonian ukulele come to life!

And, if you are lucky, you will be able to see it in person.

Who was making fun, bbycrts? I could certainly see how people might think it could stand for lots of things. just sayin'!

speaking of uwc... when is the next one?!/?!?!?!!??!?! and are there any other big ukulele festivals or conventions? i live in AZ and would like to find a few that would be close

I got the body assembled today. Tomorrow I'll do the bindings and end graft and start the neck.

Brad

Attachments

• bbycrts1 006.jpg
    bbycrts1 006.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 70
  • bbycrts1 004.jpg
    bbycrts1 004.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 72
  • bbycrts1 001.jpg
    bbycrts1 001.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 66
  • bbycrts1 003.jpg
    bbycrts1 003.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 70
Oh wow...that wood really pops now!

I love love love your "vintage" body shape!

Lookin' really good!

Top Bottom