Waaaaaaa

uke142464

Reaction score
:mad:
so, last saturday meh family decides to take a trip to the philadelphia folk festival...... we get there, (of course I got my uke handy) we watch a few performers, and as were heading over to the marting stand we hear a guy say ,"what about that great japanese guy last night that played the ukulele"...........................................................................................................and im like theres no way that we missed jake.. we looked at the schedule and he had played 3 times but the day we come he leaves.
'ajs ePoru
IEq
a J

but, the rest of the day was pretty sweet you know why? cause I got to play a martin 5k ukulele!!!!!!! it sounded amaaaazzzing, I couldnt believe I was holding 5k dollars in my hands, then as I was walking around I saw a guy playing a washtub bass and a guy with a guitar outside one of the stand thingies. we talked a little then I asked if the guy with the washtub could play along with 12 bar blues in A, and he could. and we started to jam, me and the guitarist sharing solos, and we got a pretty big croud going..
other things that happened, I jammed with a guy at the martin guitar stand, I thought I came up with a riff to wright a song then realized I was just playing a tune that was stuck in my head cause someone else already wrote the song, heard some great performance, saw some jugglers, and my mom said that maybe for a half birthday half christmas present I could get a solid koa ukulele cause she really liked the sound of the 5k, im looking at a kanilea tenor or a kamaka, :D

Great story!!!
Good things do happen from bad sometimes.
Reminds me of my NOT getting to see Jake story.

2 weeks after I started playin, I had no clue who Jake was and saw an add in the paper for him playin that night. I check the website and there were still tickets so I figured great I'll go see this guy play.

I drive for an hour walk up to the gate and "SOLD OUT" (who would have thought he would sell out a tuesday night show in Denver?) I ask the girl at the window, Yep its sold out!!!
I drive home.....

2 days later I'm talking to a friend about it and he tells me "You should have just walked around the building and sat in the grass you can see and hear real well"

I did get to see Jack Johnson play at Red Rocks from the 3rd row Sunday, he played the Uke for "Fall Line and Breakdown".

Last edited:
The Philly Folk Fest was one of my favorite events when I was growing up in the area. For those who have never been, despite the name, it's in a pretty rural area outside of Philly, and (at least throughout the 1980's, and I assume it's still heald on the same farmstead) was an incredible 3-4 day party with some of the finest musicians breathing.

Half the fun was always after the big stages closed for the night... The camping area "tent city" was acres and acres of tents and campfires - with thousands of folks jamming way into the wee hours. You could bounce from jam circle to jam circle til the sun came up and never play with the same folks twice - Like a folk music utopia - with beer.

I had some of the best times of my life at that event - and met some of the finest musicians I've ever heard. I haven't been in decades (wrong coast) and am sorely tempted to go back next year.

Glad you had a great time - next year you should camp out and stay for the whole gig. We used to volunteer for the whole event, that way we got in free and got prime campsites. Plus chicks dug the orange wristbands. ;)

Last edited:
I bleed for you. To have missed Jake. :( You'll have to go to his web site. His concerts are listed going out for months. He'll be back. But, the rest of your day sounds wonderful.

Top Bottom