the dreaded 1st plateau

kaizersoza

Reaction score
i have just hit a plateau, my strumming is all to cock, i am not hitting all the strings properly, my uke keeps on slipping when i change chords and i am having a generally bad night....HELP PLEASE

I'd tell ya to put it down, go outside and have a smoke, but you might not smoke. :-) (That's what I do.)

Just keep practicing. Maybe go find another song to work on. Don't get frustrated. Know what might happen tomorrow? Things may click and you'll be so proud. You might want to slow it down (strumming wise) a little bit. Go slowly so that you aren't making any mistakes. Once you can play without mistakes, speed up just a little bit. Repeat over and over. You are learning a lot right now and at some point muscle memory will kick in.

Have patience with yourself. Ukulele is too fun to beat yourself up over. This I know, too.

1. Hold the uke in in crook of your elbow. With your elbow folded over, the uke should be plenty steady. Don't hold the uke in your lap.
2. Strum from your wrist, not from your elbow. If you strum from your elbow, the uke will slip.
3. Slow down. If you are not hitting all the strings properly, you are playing too fast. Play as slowly as you need to in order to hit the strings properly.
4. Remember that everybody started somewhere, and it doesn't happen overnight. Give it time, and enjoy yourself!

Take it slow!!! Take a break, then play your song very slowly!! It is important not to rush because that will lead to mistakes and those mistakes will become the muscle memory and you will struggle for a long time!!!
Just have fun!!!

Take it slow!!! Take a break, then play your song very slowly!! It is important not to rush because that will lead to mistakes and those mistakes will become the muscle memory and you will struggle for a long time!!!
Just have fun!!!
Don't be afraid to break your playing/practice time down to shorter more frequent sessions. It is much better to spend three 20 minute sessions than one 1 hour session playing.
(is this an equal time in metric?)

What they all said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I did the same thing, wanted go faster, had to slow down and learn to do it "right" first, the speed comes with practice.......it's like cooking rice, you just can't hurry it! Lots of great tutorials here. Keep on strumming.

Just have fun!!!

Yep. Slow slow slow. My strategy is to run through a song a few times without even trying to strum. Just form the chords one after the other, and then run down the strings slowly with the thumb, one at a time, to make sure each one plays out nice and clean. Gradually go a bit faster, and then add strums. But even then, go slow.

Mistakes can be frustrating, but you also need to keep in mind one more thing: this is supposed to be fun. It's relaxing and invigorating. Even running through simple chord progs (C - F - G) can be fun. If your frustration is stopping you from smiling, take a break.

If you take all the good advice above and still find your uke slipping when you change chords, consider using a Uke Leash or a strap for support. I have a tenor ukulele and had a lot of trouble in the beginning with the neck slipping during chord changes. A Uke Leash solved the problem for me.

There's a whole lot going on when you first start playing. You'll get it--be patient with yourself!

i have just hit a plateau, my strumming is all to cock, i am not hitting all the strings properly, my uke keeps on slipping when i change chords and i am having a generally bad night....HELP PLEASE

Simple: use a strap. Frees the chording hand from having to support the neck, lets your strumming hand move more freely.

"All to cock." Cute turn of phrase. Hadn't heard that before, so I had to look it up.

I'd tell ya to put it down, go outside and have a smoke, but you might not smoke. :-) (That's what I do.)
Not good advice in winter in my neck of the woods. Could get lost in a blizzard... see the headlines now: Ukulele player vanishes during smoke break. Whiteout conditions blamed... maybe that's why we have so few smokers in Canada after all!

ha ha its a funny term, i have ordered a uke leash, i think th mistake i am makin is resting the neck on my thumb and not between the thumb and forefinger, been practising today for a few hours and badabing all going good, well as good as expected for a noob

Top Bottom