PDA

View Full Version : New Uke Day

brucemoffatt
07-12-2011, 03:57 PM
Domingo has arrived safe and well in Australia. It took less than two weeks to get to my place from Mystic, CT, via USPS and I am very pleased with their service.

Domingo is a concert size Cordoba 25CK uke, made by hand in Portugal in 2008. I am the second owner.

A full review of the uke later on, but for now
YIIIPPPPEEEEEEE

I am letting the uke acclimatise before getting into it. It has come from a humid summer in the US to deep cold winter here in Adelaide.

brucemoffatt
07-12-2011, 04:52 PM
C string re-strung (check) (was knotted over the saddle, see photo 4 above, and string turns rising up the peg, not down)
thirsty fretboard and headstock oiled (check)
whole of uke wiped down and polished with microfibre cloth (check)
micro-inspection of uke (check)
attached a strap button (check) (I am a clutz and can't play uke without dropping it unless it has a strap)
added a new uke strap (check)
attend to human needs as a result of too much excitement (check check check)

I didn't mention yet how much I love this uke. I LOVE THIS NEW UKE. IT'S MY NEW MUSIC BUDDY. IT KEEPS CALLING OUT TO ME, COME AND PLAY.

mm stan
07-12-2011, 07:25 PM
Aloha Bruce,
Sounds like you are finished with your checklist..and now go play your lovely uke...and have fun and enjoy..Happy Strummings..MM Stan

mds725
07-12-2011, 08:24 PM
Congratulations. That uke is a definite looker!

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
07-12-2011, 08:26 PM
That's quite a pretty ukulele. I'm glad her long journey is over! Congratulations!!

Cliff Rogers
07-12-2011, 09:09 PM
Looks good, how does it sound?

Pippin
07-12-2011, 09:15 PM
Congratulations on your new uke. Enjoy.

brucemoffatt
07-12-2011, 09:19 PM
Hi Cliff. First impressions of the sound, based on my limited experience. I've been playing 10 months and own a Makala laminate soprano and a solid body eleuke.

It is quite a bit louder than the Makala. The quality of sound is a fair bit different. It seems as if someone has gotten the soprano, turned up the mid range, filtered out the spiky top end, and added something I can't quite describe, a sort of broadness. It is definitely a uke sound, not a mini-guitar sound. If strummed with the backs of the fingernails it can be brash. If strummed with the meat of the thumb it is loud and mellow-ish, round and full without being boomy.

To my ear it's a very nice uke sound. I'm hoping to show it off to other folks who have ukes to get a bit of a comparison against a better background sample.

Cliff Rogers
07-12-2011, 09:23 PM
I expect it would be louder than the laminate, that is why I went for the solid spruce top Riptide, well, that & the fact that I play acoustic Guitar.

Hippie Dribble
07-12-2011, 09:50 PM
oh my that is gorgeous. Beautiful wood Bruce. Now I know why you were so excited. It's an absolute sweetie mate. Congratulations!

joeybug
07-13-2011, 01:03 AM
Congrats! And what a beauty it is! Now get off the UU and start playing! Enjoy :D Happy New Uke Day!