Kamaka Tuner - Anybody have one of these yet?

sonicbaker

Reaction score
They posted about this tuner on Facebook today, but I did not see any info on their website about them.

279684_2055605870945_1268543616_31865909_6139356_o.jpg

265864_2055604710916_1268543616_31865908_1159702_o.jpg

Looks an awful lot like the Korg AW-2U. I have its cousin, the Korg AW-2G (pretty much the same tuner but chromatic instead of uke) and it works great.

Last edited:
Looks an awful lot like the Korg AW-2U. I have its cousin, the Korg AW-2G (pretty much the same tuner but chromatic instead of uke) and it works great.

Yes it's an Korg OEM for Kamaka, I guess.
I don't use Kamaka's, but I have the Korg generic chromatic tuner, which is pretty much the same.

The only thing I hated about it, is that the rubber pad removed part of the logo of my Famous FS-5.
Since the logo itself is just a sticker, it got attached to the rubber and partially peeled off. This was when I had that uke for only one week. I was devastated, LOL!

So be careful when you clip it on the head of your uke.

Janeray, you read Japanese right? Can you (or anyone else) translate this?

I'll try... I'm a lousy translator but it's something like this:

We have designed a clip tuner exclusively for ukuleles with the Kamaka logo. Exclusively for use with ukuleles, with an easy to use display. Can be used with standard, 6 string, baritone, and others. In addition to KAMAKA HAWAII, it also has the word ALOHA, and a graceful, retro design complimentary to Kamaka.

I have to admit that I find it kind of charming that it says ALOHA :) But not $38 worth of charming.

I just purchased a SNARK chromatic tuner for my uke, and works very well. Cost about 17.00dlls with tax and shipping. The Kamaka tuner looks interesting, but at 38.00dlls??? Seems a bit high.

Ah.... sorry! Didn't notice you asked for a translation.
But janeray did a pretty good job!

Anyway, I also agree that they are kind of expensive just for the benefit of having a Kamaka logo stamped on it.
Also, they make Hello Kitty ones :
http://www.amazon.co.jp/KORG-AW-2KW-KITTY/dp/B00311XHBY

Okay, now that? I might be willing to pay more for :)

And thanks re: the translation. Online kanji dictionaries certainly make it easier!

I hadn't seen that yet, but I might pick one up when I head to the factory in September if they are available.

I see it is on the Kamaka Ukulele Club of Japan's website. http://www.kamakaukulelejp.com/tuner.html

Janeray, you read Japanese right? Can you (or anyone else) translate this?

It also appears to be available here: http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/one-one/item/kk-1/ (but at $38 bucks that is too rich for my blood).

Is it just me or does it seem that you are always out in Hawaii at the uke factories! Must be nice!

I just purchased a SNARK chromatic tuner for my uke, and works very well. Cost about 17.00dlls with tax and shipping. The Kamaka tuner looks interesting, but at 38.00dlls??? Seems a bit high.

Especially when you can get the same tuner on Amazon for $24 and free shipping although it doesn't say "aloha". I just use the "Guitar Toolkit" tuner on my iPhone or the cheap $12 tuner that came with my Uke. Both work very well compared to my higher end tuners.

It's the tuner they used in April when I picked up a pineapple after the factory tour. I'm such a beginner, I figured it was for sale every where. I'd only seen the Kala tuner before but I liked the one they used better. So glad to see this thread cause I've been looking for that tuner ever since. I bought a Kala with metrodome and I find it hard to see those displays.

Definitely looks to be the Korg rebranded. Thanks for the info. Probably not a bad item for Kamaka to make available. Hope it ends up being priced fairly on their site, at factory.

Yeah, my first thought is that it looks an awful lot like a rebranded Korg. If so it's probably a pretty decent tuner - more precise than many of the inexpensive clipons, anyway. But, you can probably get the Korg cheaper from a mass outlet like musician's friend or amazon. Also, if it's the 2U version that's actually less useful in my opinion than a chromatic tuner.

I just saw the following post about this tuner on Kamaka's facebook group. "‎$33.95 at Kamaka Hawaii, Inc. (808) 531-3165. Otherwise, sold only in Japan."

Okay, there is actually a limit to my Kamaka fangirl-ness. I thought maybe the $38 was price gouging and that Kamaka would have it for a more reasonable price, but $34? Uh uh.

speaking of tuners. i am looking to get a better one. i want a clip on one and have heard there are tuners that can even be used in a loud room... that they can pick up vibrations in your uke or instrument and it can be tuned that way.... otherwise it can be tuned accoustically. does anyone know if such a tuner exists and if it is even a good one? looking for reasonably priced suggestions

speaking of tuners. i am looking to get a better one. i want a clip on one and have heard there are tuners that can even be used in a loud room... that they can pick up vibrations in your uke or instrument and it can be tuned that way.... otherwise it can be tuned accoustically. does anyone know if such a tuner exists and if it is even a good one? looking for reasonably priced suggestions

The Snark SN2 is a favorite in these parts. You can get them pretty cheap, around $13, on eBay.

sprung for a snark sn-2 now to get a humidifier. separate thread or same thread? any suggestions?! <3

Top Bottom