Amazon.com gift cards I can't use

misty

Reaction score
This is not spam. Moderators, sorry if it is against the rules please remove this.

I got a big bonus at work, in the form of $750 which can be turned into gift cards for various merchants. Amazon is one of them. I am in Australia and the number of local retailers I can choose is small, but there are a lot in the US. I can get you a list of other included US shops but Amazon is probably the most useful. I really don't need anything from Amazon for that price tag, but would love to have the cash to spend at a local music shop.

If you are interested in purchasing gift cards from me, please reply. I can do it in $10, $25, or $100 increments and I don't want to make a profit. I would send you the codes via email. I could sell them on eBay but would rather avoid the fees. I would accept PayPal or BSB payment.

Thanks!

I really don't need anything from Amazon for that price tag, but would love to have the cash to spend at a local music shop.

FWIW, you can buy musical instruments (and instructional books/DVDs, sheet music, etc.) on Amazon*. I'm sure they'll gladly ship to Australia. I've bought things from Amazon.co.uk before and had them sent it to the States--no problem.

JJ

* Actually, you can buy just about anything. From computers, iPods, and TVs down to AA batteries and boxes of macaroni and cheese. :) I've bought bedsheets, underarm deodorant, and a lawn mower from them! So I know I wouldn't have any trouble plowing through $750, but YMMV.

Are you selling these at face value, or a % on the dollar? Like said above, Amazon will ship to ya, and you can get pretty much anything you need for anything, so I'm not sure what the issue is with them for ya.

FWIW, you can buy musical instruments (and instructional books/DVDs, sheet music, etc.) on Amazon*. I'm sure they'll gladly ship to Australia. I've bought things from Amazon.co.uk before and had them sent it to the States--no problem.

The problem is that while they do ship some of their items internationally, if it isn't a book/CD/LP, you can only get the 2 day priority shipment which often costs far more than whatever you're buying. I recently found myself in the same situation and bought a Sanclip MP3 player for $39, but it cost me another $70 to ship it to Europe... Not a good deal!

There are a number of websites that will buy or exchange unwanted gift cards. You don't get 100 percent value for the cards you sell, but it might be less of a hassle than trying to sell the cards individually or selling them on eBay. Also, it looks like some of them will buy your cards for up to 90 percent of face value and then let you buy other gift cards for up to 35 percent off, so if you sell and buy the right combination of cards, you might be able to at least break even.

A Google search for "Exchange or sell gift cards" turned up, among other websites, CardWoo, Plastic Jungle, Gift Card Rescue, Swapagift and Card Pool.*

* I don't know anything about any of these sites except that they appeared in a Google search. I have no affiliation with any of them and cannot verify that you will not have problems if you deal with one of them. Before doing business with any website, it's a good idea to research the site to see if there have been consumer complaints.

OK a couple of things:

1. Selling through ebay is risky, because all the buyer has to do is apply the code to their account and then say it didn't work. If ebay takes their side, you lose. Also, those gift card exchange places only seem to take physical gift cards, because they need a way to check the balance on the card. A gift code doesn't have a PIN, you just type in the number to apply it to your account. So the virtual gift cards don't really seem to work there. And having 8 $100 gift cards shipped to me just so I can send them to a gift-card selling site doesn't seem like a very smart thing to do, somehow. I can choose a physical gift card or a virtual one. The virtual one gets mailed to me in minutes.

2. Amazon won't ship very many big items to Australia. I am in the market for a guitar and I would love to spend $800 on a guitar. But first, I wouldn't buy an $800 guitar on the internet. Second, even if I did, I am looking at over $100 in shipping and weeks of waiting.

3. I don't really want anything other than a guitar right now. But I know that other people probably buy books and CDs and things off Amazon all the time, so I thought I would just offer. :)

I suppose I would be willing to give a 10% discount. So I will sell you a $100 gift card for $90. If I've got any takers for that, let me know. :)

Top Bottom