PDA

View Full Version : Never been so EXCITED over a new set of strings before - YOU GOTTA TRY THIS! :D

kissing
07-13-2011, 04:42 AM
About one year ago, I posted a topic here on UU on what people thought about having an ukulele tuned to GCEA, but one octave lower (ie: making it an octave ukulele).

My new set of Guadalupe Custom Baritone ukulele strings for tuning GCEA one octave low arrived today. Set them up on my Oscar Schmidt acoustic-electric baritone.

I WAS BLOWN AWAY!
The sound is so rich and warm, and the volume is actually pretty decent too considering it's not a loud uke to begin with and we're using a lower tuning on a short scale/small body.
It's about as loud as a typical acoustic bass guitar.

The strings feel very comfortable to play. It also solved the problems I had with this uke. As some of you may know, Oscar Schmidt baritone ukes have a very wide neck. With these thicker, bassy strings, the wide neck feels perfect.

Anyway, I got so excited that within minutes of putting the strings on, I made a brief recording to give you an idea of how it sounds.

First 1 minute is played acoustically.
Then after that, I play it plugged into my Roland Microcube.
http://www.4shared.com/audio/FoMrEzCn/Guadalupe_Custom_Baritone_GCEA.html
(note: Strings were put on the uke just 10 minutes ago. They're still stretching, so they have yet to sound their best).

In some ways, this is the true "bass ukulele", as it retains that GCEA tuning, and is one octave lower. It is sort of in that range between a true bass, and standard guitar (ie: top 4 strings of a baritone guitar). Absolutely a pleasure to play, both for some bassy rhythm as well as solo.

If you have a baritone uke that you want to spice up the relationship with, find these strings (I got mine on eBay) and give them a shot!
I didn't have to make any adjustments or changes to get the strings to work on this uke.
It's a new favourite tuning that I will continue to use from now on :) I hope that it catches on and becomes more popular, so the strings become easier to purchase.

EDIT: I bought mine from here:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370520712210&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

No affiliations whatsoever, just happy customer.

Rzr
07-13-2011, 04:51 AM
Sounds great! I kinda tried this on my tenor with some guitar strings I had laying around but it was a bit sloppy. Have been thinking about getting a cheap Baritone to try it on. Thanks for posting.

ItsMrPitchy
07-13-2011, 04:52 AM
Thanks for posting up info about these strings. This will be helpful im sure to many who want a baritone but dont want to learn new chord formations. well its certainly insprired me to buy a baritone.

So will we see this make a debut in one of your videos?

Skottoman
07-13-2011, 05:21 AM
Wow, that is a really impressive sound. I never had a desire for a Baritone until I just heard this. Could be that your playing is quite good too. :)

Great sound!!! So mellow and smooth! I wonder if you could make them work on a Tenor?
Cheers,
Skottoman

EDIT: Ok, I just had to do something to get close to that sound, so I tuned my Lehua Tenor (dreadnaught shape) to as low I as I could without it sounding horrible, and played it through an amp with reverb. Wow, a lower sounding uke is kind of magical. Not as low as your Baritone, but I never thought of tuning as low as possible. Thanks for the inspiration. Sounds lovely!

70sSanO
07-13-2011, 06:37 AM
So here's the $64K question...

At what point is it possible to use phosphor bronze acoustic guitar strings? (This may be a luthier question)

If, by frequency, you are tuning to G(98.0), C(130.8), E(164.8), A(220), there may be a point at which the tension is low enough and the strings still retain their sizzle.

John

kissing
07-13-2011, 06:46 AM
There is NO point on a regular ukulele when acoustic guitar strings should be used.
Ukes are built to take nylon strings (ie: classical guitar strings).

As there is no truss rod, and the nut/saddle/bridge are designed to take nylon strings, attempting to put metal strings on them that are for acoustic guitars will prove to be quite damaging.

If you wanted a 4-string 'guitar' like instrument, consider Tenor Guitars. I have an Ozark Tenor guitar tuned DGBE with regular acoustic guitar strings ( I think they're phosphur bronze). It can take it, because it is built the same as a guitar.

GaryC1968
07-13-2011, 07:07 AM
Great timing on this thread. I sent a request to Guadalupe Custom Strings last month enquiring about some strings to set up my baritone with E A C F# tuning. They sent me an e-mail yesterday saying they could do it, but I'd have to buy at least 5 sets. Hearing how impressed you are with the strings, I think I will pull the trigger and drop $40 to give them a try.

SuzukHammer
07-13-2011, 07:19 AM
I posted a thread about Quadalupe custom strings on my Fluke. I had to have people try it and most people had that "wow" look.

I love my FLuke with my LOw G Guadalupe strings . It is my go to uke and I'm putting Guadalupes on other ukes too.

70sSanO
07-13-2011, 07:43 AM
There is NO point on a regular ukulele when acoustic guitar strings should be used.
Ukes are built to take nylon strings (ie: classical guitar strings).

I'm only asking because the ukulele doesn't know if the strings are nylon or steel as long as the overall tension is within the the instrument's limits. It is a calculated amount based on scale length, string diameter, and note freqeuncy.

For example... if a tenor ukulele can withstand 35-39 lbs then there may a point at when tuning down enough that a light guage D through E strings may work without tearing the bridge off and folding the neck. I'm not proposing just slapping on bluegrass strings and crank 'em up.

John

mustacheukuleles
07-13-2011, 08:14 AM
where can these be purchased at?

spookefoote
07-13-2011, 08:25 AM
And they all laughed when I recommended them and lo and behold. They are great strings, I'm glad someone else has the same enthusiasm for them. Nice playing as well.

didgeridoo2
07-13-2011, 08:28 AM
Do a google search for Guadalupe strings. You can call and speak to them if you wish. Nice fellas working over there.

GaryC1968
07-13-2011, 08:54 AM
[COLOR="black"]

Guadalupe Custom Strings
"strings made by musicians for musicians"

PLEASE NOTE NEW BUSINESS CONTACT INFORMATION

5254 Alhambra Avenue
Los Angeles (El Sereno), CA 90032
telephone: 323-276-0016
www.guadalupecustomstrings.com

strumsilly
07-13-2011, 10:05 AM
so are these the baritone brass wound custom guage for $10?

bdukes
07-13-2011, 10:49 AM
Love that deep sound. Not quite ready to ditch my tenors, but a new Bari may be on the list.

EDIT: Ok, I just had to do something to get close to that sound, so I tuned my Lehua Tenor (dreadnaught shape) to as low I as I could without it sounding horrible, and played it through an amp with reverb. Wow, a lower sounding uke is kind of magical. Not as low as your Baritone, but I never thought of tuning as low as possible. Thanks for the inspiration. Sounds lovely!

I've been tuning down my tenors to Bflat (FBbDG) on the rec of Dirk at Southcoast as an experiment. Does sound good.

@skottoman: I noticed you have a Pineapple Sunday too. I found it really made it nice, warm and mellow for me using Worth Browns. I never have gelled with the native sound of the PS. Can't really describe it other than it was too forward and kinda punchy for my tastes. I love playing it though, very comfortable and at Bb, something I enjoy more.

Skottoman
07-13-2011, 11:58 AM
@skottoman: I noticed you have a Pineapple Sunday too. I found it really made it nice, warm and mellow for me using Worth Browns. I never have gelled with the native sound of the PS. Can't really describe it other than it was too forward and kinda punchy for my tastes. I love playing it though, very comfortable and at Bb, something I enjoy more.

I'm going to try tuning my PS down to see how it sounds. I may have to take your advice and try the Worth Browns sometime. I like the sound of the PS as is, and your description is pretty good, but I always like to see how things change with strings. Now I'm trying tuning!
Cheers,
Skottoman

kissing
07-13-2011, 04:54 PM
purchasing direct from guadalupe might be a bit costly since they require u to buy in bulk. I got a SINGLE set of them from an ebay store. Im on my phone at the moment so cant find the link. I will post the ebay seller when i get on a computer later :)

kissing
07-13-2011, 05:02 PM

I got mine here:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370520712210&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

didgeridoo2
07-13-2011, 05:20 PM
purchasing direct from guadalupe might be a bit costly since they require u to buy in bulk.:)

I was able to buy the custom fibre core strings in individual packages direct from them. Maybe international purchases are different?

SuzukHammer
07-13-2011, 07:32 PM
I was able to buy the custom fibre core strings in individual packages direct from them. Maybe international purchases are different?
That's what I did. I ordered about `10 various sets.

marymac
07-13-2011, 10:04 PM
Apparently the GCS strings are available from ebay sellers OUTSIDE the US but in the US you have to order directly from GCS. They were very nice when I called. Price was $8/pack and when you order 6 packs they send an extra pack free. Buy 10 get 2 free. Shipping is about $4. The do custom wind them so it takes 10 days to get but I'm really looking forward to them!

salukulady
07-14-2011, 05:24 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rrqy9U4j0gkhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rrqy9U4j0gk

marymac
07-14-2011, 06:45 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rrqy9U4j0gkhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rrqy9U4j0gk

Wow - great video. Thanks! Glad I ordered my Guadalupe strings.

GUADALUPE CUSTOM STRINGS
07-14-2011, 10:16 AM
Hola Ukulele Underground Frens,

We are so happy to hear your wonderful response to the strings and your abounding interest. It gives us great pleasure to know they work for y'all. Please encourage your local shop to carry them. We aren't a fad, we've been making these strings for almost 20 years; carefully developing them with musicians and luthiers. These strings are made my musicians all by hand with care and love, like your mom's pancakes. We are happy to be the only handmade ukulele string on the left coast, if anywhere.

We'll be having t'shirts available soon, as well.

Demand them in your local store!!!

Take care.

-Team GCS

Cheers and thanks!

mds725
07-14-2011, 10:24 AM
I just ordered some by phone. Team GCS couldn't have been nicer. I can't wait to get them and try them on my own baritone uke. GCS's contact information is here (http://www.guadalupecustomstrings.com/contact_us).

Huna
07-14-2011, 10:50 AM
so these are not re-entrant right?

marymac
07-14-2011, 10:55 AM
so these are not re-entrant right?

Correct, although since they are made to order I'm sure you could request re-entrant tuning if that's what you prefer.

mds725
07-14-2011, 11:38 AM
Correct, although since they are made to order I'm sure you could request re-entrant tuning if that's what you prefer.

When I ordered mine I was asked whether I wanted low G or re-entrant tuning. You can get either.

strumsilly
07-15-2011, 09:52 AM
EMAILED THEm TODAY. minimum order is 5 sets. I really just want to try them. I want 1 low G and 1 high g set. any body want to split the order, tell me what you want.. I'll order them and I'll remail them. The prices are on their website. I'll pay the first shipping, and say $2 to reship to you. they said they are running out so asap

GUADALUPE CUSTOM STRINGS
07-15-2011, 10:45 AM
Hey UU members. FYI we have both Brass and Silver sets available for the baritone in GCEA and dGBE.

Silver is a little brighter
brass is just a tad darker and a fraction heavier

Team GCS

strumsilly
07-16-2011, 04:22 AM
ok sent my order, thanks ADD

haole
07-16-2011, 05:33 AM
That sounds incredible. Ordering a set right now!

strumsilly
07-16-2011, 05:39 AM
5 set minium, I'll add your order to mine if I can. pm me what yuou want, silver or brass

shrink9
07-31-2011, 04:51 PM
Anybody have a set that they want to sell? I'd buy one.

webby
07-31-2011, 07:48 PM
It sounded lovely, but it didn't sound like a uke, it sounded like a nylon string guitar.

If i was after that sound I think I would go the guitar path, and keep ukes for the classic uke sound.

But it did sound nice, no denying that.

webby

mds725
08-02-2011, 12:55 AM
Anybody have a set that they want to sell? I'd buy one.

PM me your address.

raecarter
08-02-2011, 05:40 AM
I emailed about tenor strings but in reentrant baritone tuning they exist but I need to buy five sets

rasputinsghost
08-02-2011, 03:27 PM
PM me your address.

I'm interested too!

strumsilly
08-07-2011, 02:21 PM
They finally arrived and I put a set on my Harmony baritone. Sounds pretty cool fingerpicked but kind of muddy when strummed. Could just be the uke though. the 2 middle strings were barely long enough but they worked. Haven't decided if I like them or not. I think they would add some needed bass to an all ukulele group . The ones I put on were the brass low g. I asked for a high G set too and they sent along an extra string so I could go either way. nice.

rasputinsghost
08-07-2011, 02:33 PM
I have a Harmony Bari too and will report back as well

marymac
08-07-2011, 04:23 PM
They finally arrived and I put a set on my Harmony baritone. Sounds pretty cool fingerpicked but kind of muddy when strummed. Could just be the uke though. the 2 middle strings were barely long enough but they worked. Haven't decided if I like them or not. I think they would add some needed bass to an all ukulele group . The ones I put on were the brass low g. I asked for a high G set too and they sent along an extra string so I could go either way. nice.

+1 on this. I love the sound picked, but it's too much bass for the body when strummed. I have them on a bari with a fairly deep body. Mine are brass as well - maybe the silvers would be better suited to ukulele body sizes than the brass?

enzymerich
09-09-2011, 09:24 AM
I like the idea and sound of your new baritone uke strings.
For your baritone why can't you just use the strings 5 thru 2 (low to high) of a classical guitar which would be strings ADGB?
So instead of the normal baritone uke tuning DGBE which can use strings 4 to 1 (low to high) of a classical guitar you use strings ADGB and tune each one down 2 semitones to GCEA.
This will give you an lower sounding uke also.
Rich

haole
09-22-2011, 01:16 PM
Just got mine, fresh from the new batch. They sound fantastic on my Aria. Definitely better suited for fingerpicking than strumming, but luckily I'm a fingerpicker! They threw in an extra set since I ordered six too. Totally worth the price of admission for me!

nickie_66
09-22-2011, 09:54 PM
pretty interesting stringe, but i have no baritone uke...

does such octave lower set exists, or is useable on a tenor uke?

i'd love to make some experiments with them :)

kissing
09-23-2011, 04:16 AM
Considering it's also quite a stretch on a Baritone, I doubt it would be practical on a Tenor.

You can get baritone strings (DGBE) for a Tenor, but that's already a stretch.

rasputinsghost
09-23-2011, 04:46 AM
Considering it's also quite a stretch on a Baritone, I doubt it would be practical on a Tenor.

You can get baritone strings (DGBE) for a Tenor, but that's already a stretch.

Actually, the original tenor tuning was DGBE and on a low-G set it sounds pretty good tuned that low.

Walden
10-03-2011, 10:18 PM
What gauges are they? Couldn't I just buy individual wound nylon strings, of whatever brand, in those same gauges at my local store, and use for this purpose?

kissing
10-03-2011, 10:37 PM
I guess you're right Walden!

Nixon
10-04-2011, 05:07 AM
Ordered a tenor set off ebay uk. Shall be throwing them on my new Pete Howlett tenor once my Aquilas have worn out.

Kimosabe
10-04-2011, 11:52 AM
EMAILED THEm TODAY. minimum order is 5 sets. I really just want to try them. I want 1 low G and 1 high g set. any body want to split the order, tell me what you want.. I'll order them and I'll remail them. The prices are on their website. I'll pay the first shipping, and say $2 to reship to you. they said they are running out so asap

Yes, I'd like a set, low g and would gladly pay the $2 mailing. contact me via uu I'm kimosabe in Oakland/Berkeley area

peewee
12-14-2011, 10:01 PM
I went by Guadalupe today. Gabriel and Jacob were there. The space is like a shop you might take your alternator to for a rebuild. There were all manner of golpes and guitarrons and basso sextos and who knows whats hanging from the ceiling, a fellow was there looking at a harp to buy, another was having strings fitted to his guitar.
I called ahead, as they are not always there..I picked up a couple of sets of low octave Baritone CGEA strings, and a multicolor tenor set for laughs. I requested an additional high G string for the Bari sets, and Gabriel made them up while-u-wait, which was pretty cool.
Got the strings on tonight. Not easy to do with a tie bridge (Mainland Bari), the knots seem to slip on the thicker strings.
I went with the high G setup. I figure this way the lowest note is only one step below the standard DGBE tuning.
As others have noted, picking tone is nice, and all but the gentlest strum is a little muddy and overwhelming. Looking forward to trying it out in a group setting.

Futurethink
06-04-2015, 05:24 AM
Mainland Ukes sells single sets of Guadalupe Strings.

I know this is an old thread, but it refers to the difficulty of obtaining these strings in fewer than five sets. Evidently, between now and then, Mainland decided to start carrying Guadalupe. My update is meant to help those who find this thread when researching Guadalupe.

I can't get the link to Kissing's MP3 file to work on my Macintosh, but Kissing has also posted a YouTube video using these strings. He plays Silent Night with his baritone and his ocarina.

Ukejenny
06-04-2015, 11:41 AM
Mainland Ukes sells single sets of Guadalupe Strings.

I know this is an old thread, but it refers to the difficulty of obtaining these strings in fewer than five sets. Evidently, between now and then, Mainland decided to start carrying Guadalupe. My update is meant to help those who find this thread when researching Guadalupe.

I can't get the link to Kissing's MP3 file to work on my Macintosh, but Kissing has also posted a YouTube video using these strings. He plays Silent Night with his baritone and his ocarina.

Thank you! I would be interested in trying a set of these strings!!!

Olarte
06-09-2015, 03:10 AM
As a classical guitarist I'm very interested.

I orders aquilas 23u but they are the same pitch as a tenor just sized for a baritone.

Guadalupe now sells sings sets of their gcea baritone sets so I ordered a set and will post an a video when they arrive

Olarte
06-28-2015, 02:56 PM
Thanks to Kissing, here at UU, I found these wonderful custom made strings for Baritone tuned to GCEA!

here is my review thread:

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?108489-Review-Baritone-GCEA-Guadalupe-Custom-Strings

Daub
08-09-2015, 05:15 AM
Is there a UK supplier for these octave down GCEA baritone strings.
Mainland Ukuleles postage costs are prohibitive. (almost 3x the string cost)