Kerfing vs Shaped Strips

resoman

Reaction score
I am new to this forum and this is my first post. I did some searching here on the subject and couldn't find the info.
What I am wondering is; is there an advantage to using kerfing over sawn strips or visa versa? I built a Stew-Mac kit and it had the strips. I'm on my first scratch build and I used the kerfing but I don't like working with it as well as I do the strips. And, how many of you prefer one over the other? Thanks, I am a total rookie at the ukes and it's my wife that plays them. I am really a dobro player but may be slowly converting
Thanks

Strips, sawn from sides are fine if there is no binding. I have also made up solid linings from multiple strips. Mostly in guitars but have done some in ukes. Kerfed linings are much more easy to use and make than thicker solid linings though, so it's the way I go most of the time.

yov've got two main choices when it comes to linings, solid linings and kerfed linings. Soilid linings are solid, bent linings, sometimes laminated up from multiple layers. kerfed linings are straight strips of timber that have saw cut made in them, hence the term "kerfed", allowing them to easily conform to the sides. Either can be used with bindings, as long as they are demensioned to do so. Generally, solid linings mahe the side more rigid before the top and back are glued on. Most of the jury isn't back in on whether or not solid lined sides are stiffer on a finished instrument. Stiffer sides are good because they don't always need to be kept in a mold during construction and they rob less of the energy provided by the strings to the top of the instrument.

Thanks you all for your response. I'll keep it kerfed for the bound and solid lining for the unbound. I can see the wisdom in that. The two I'm working on now are going to be bound.
Really appreciate the advise.

Top Bottom