New Sheet Music Day -- Looney Tunes & Yes

uke4ia

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Instead of buying a new uke, I used some of my music money this week and bought a couple of sheet music books off Amazon. They just came today.

I got "The Looney Tunes Songbook". I learned of its existence back when we did the Looney Tunes thread a couple months ago. It includes 5 of the Raymond Scott jazz tunes that Carl Stalling used pieces of in Looney Tunes soundtracks.

Looney Tunes Songbook

I also picked up a book with all the guitar parts from the Yes "Fragile" album. A friend suggested a few months back that we should learn some uke duets of Yes songs. She didn't follow through with the idea, but I'm curious to see if I can learn to play some of this. I've been playing "Roundabout" for years, but I always got lost at the solos.

All the Raymond Scott songs are in cut time and fast. It's pretty fearsome. The first thing I opened the book to was "Powerhouse". I've been messing with it for the last 20 minutes. I can play most of the bits and pieces, but it will be a long, long time before I can play it all together without throwing a finger on my left hand like it was a piston rod. And the triplets in the sax solo just about made me cry. Maybe I'll play "Merrily We Roll Along" for a little while.

For those who have never heard the whole song Powerhouse, here's a link to a YouTube video. The owner doesn't allow me to embed the video here. YouTube also has a version played on six harmonicas by the PhilHarmonicas.

Powerhouse

Last edited:
Powerhouse is one of those god-sent songs - when I have an earworm (you know, a song that gets stuck in your head, and you can't get rid of it!) i use Powerhouse to cleanse my mind.

And the Spike Jones version is a hoot, also!

-Kurt

Philharmonica's version is pretty amazing!
Love Raymond Scott! Would love to hear it executed on a uke, even poorly.

Top Bottom