Finest Modern Baritone Ukuleles

Baskervils

Reaction score
I realize that this is incredibly subjective, but I'd love to know what people think are the finest contemporary / modern baritone ukueles? This can include larger companies and hand makers / luthiers.

Generally, I'm referring to ukes that are $700 to the sky's the limit...

Last edited:
I have a Kala spalted maple limited edition baritone with the Tree of Life inlay up the neck. It smokes every other baritone I've ever played or owned, including a 60s vintage Martin. The tone is angelic and it projects loud and clear. The body is laminated and the top is solid spruce. The cost was under $500., it was a great deal.

I'm sure there are custom builders out there who make absolutely wonderful baritones but I expect the cost will be higher than $700.

I have a Kala spalted maple limited edition baritone with the Tree of Life inlay up the neck. It smokes every other baritone I've ever played or owned, including a 60s vintage Martin. The tone is angelic and it projects loud and clear. The body is laminated and the top is solid spruce. The cost was under $500., it was a great deal.

I'm sure there are custom builders out there who make absolutely wonderful baritones but I expect the cost will be higher than $700.

I've got a cheaper Makala Baritone that is my beater, and it is shockingly good for the $70 I paid.

There was an incredible custom baritone on UU recently built by ????? Wish I could remember who. I'm not a big baritone fan, but it blew me away. Maybe someone else will remember.

There was an incredible custom baritone on UU recently built by ????? Wish I could remember who. I'm not a big baritone fan, but it blew me away. Maybe someone else will remember.

There was a boatpaddle just recently. I know I was tempted after heard David's bari with the FleaBitten dawgs. Really sounded wonderful.

I don't think it sold. It was the M series.

This is the one I was thinking of. http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?48678-Boat-paddle-M-style-Baritone-Walnut-and-Spruce&highlight=boat+paddle

I also have a Boat Paddle tenor that is one of the best sounding tenors I've played so I can easily imagine their baritones sound just as wonderful. They truly do make a fine instrument at Boat Paddle Ukuleles.

Maybe you're thinking about the one I posted about a couple weeks ago, built by Luke Heaton? http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?49469-New-uke-day!-Luke-Heaton-Baritone

One of the nicest ukes I've seen and fantastic sound.

I also agree with Ukulele Cowboy about Devine ukes. If I had unlimited money - that's where (some of) it would go.

Last edited:
Interesting. I love baritones and play mine more often than I play my tenors these days. I have three (plus a bari banjolele): A Pono solid mahogany, which I love. It has a great, warm sound. A vintage Lyra from 65 that is loud and brash and sounds almost guitar-like. It's incredibly light, too, and just rings with sound, although with none of the depth and low tones of the Pono. Then I have a handmade soild-mahogany bari by Aaron Keim (Beansprout) which has none of the attributes of either and sits unplayed unless I plug it into an amp, when it has more character. I plan to restring it as a piccolo bass, but got busy and forgot about it. Or sell it. My friend has two Ohanas and they're rich and full, too, louder than but not quite as sweet to my ears as the Pono.

I'd recommend a Pono any time, and am looking for an upscale bari like Boat Paddle.

I'd recommend a Pono any time, and am looking for an upscale bari like Boat Paddle.

Well if things settle down on the employment side, I hope the Boat Paddle in the marketplace is still available. I really like what kissing did with his Guadalupe strings. The thought of being able to tune to G2-C3-E3-A3 and use phosphor bronze strings on a ukulele is really appealing to me.

John

Last edited:
Martin OXK Baritone?

I have the Martin OXK soprano and love it. I imagine they could make a concert, tenor and baritone out of formica and these do sound good.

I love the sound of my Gibson baritone, but I think they are kind of scarce and can be pricey. I bought a 2 '50s Harmony baris off ebay , one needs work and the other hasn't arrived yet, but they are really light and I bet will be great. There is a nice Favilla for sale here in the marketplace. I'll bet that is a player. I think these old USA made mahogany baritones are awsome, and since baritones are not a popular as other sizes they sometimes go pretty cheap. Good luck in your search.

Top Bottom