overly harsh feedback

Harold O.

Reaction score
This applies across the board, but since this is UU, I'll keep it pointed in our general direction:

While recently surfing ukulele stores on the 'net, I got to reading some of the feedback on simple sites such as Yahoo, etc. There are a lot of mean, self-centered, angry people out there.

I can understand a person reporting poor/disrespectful service. But complaining about the lack of selection is bad form. A store can only hold so many ukes (brands, sizes, etc) at a time. And stocks can go up or down, depending upon the time of year, month, or timing of the last cruise ship in port. Some stores carry only two or three brands for distribution reasons not known to the buyer. Jeez, dudes, cut 'em a little slack.

Another popular feedback whine-line concerns traveling to "The Islands", buying a Kala at the local store, then finding out it could have been bought cheaper online. That's lame. If you want to buy a basic model instrument such as a Kala, you can get deals most anywhere in the world and be quite happy with it for a long time. But to get publicly bent out of shape after paying too much for a generic uke is, yes, sadly immature. If you want a nice souvenir of your Hawaiian vacation, don't go generic. Buy something special. Something with a story to tell. Something you can't readily find elsewhere. And don't cry to the world when you mess yourself up.

The list can go on. I'll quit before I get further behind.

All I can say is 'Amen'.

Seems like people have something like "beer muscles" on the web.....some write things they wouldn't really say if they weren't behind the protection of their computer screen.....I guess it is "online muscles".

You hit it on the head. The anonymity of the web gives people a lot of courage to be rude...that's why I like to hang around UU where, for the most part, people are kind and respectful...I love the ukulele community.

Perfectly normal, nice people can and have written in emails/blogs/reviews things that they would never have said to someone face to face.

Writing should be a better filter than talking. But......

Also consider that most people don't take the time to go online to post a review that says "I was satisfied" or "Everything was fine". I think the majority of folks don't bother with online reviews unless they are unhappy with some aspect of their transaction or the product they purchased. If 'everything is fine' - or even great - they just enjoy their product and don't worry about it. I think a lot of folks only feel compelled to share their experiences if they feel they've been wronged - both to complain and to warn others.

You hit it on the head. The anonymity of the web gives people a lot of courage to be rude...that's why I like to hang around UU where, for the most part, people are kind and respectful...I love the ukulele community.

:agree: 100%

Some people on the internet are just plain rude.

Good thing that UU is a nice and friendly area.

Some people on the internet are just plain rude.

Good thing that UU is a nice and friendly area.

I think the lack of having to see people's faces makes people feel braver, plus it carries some kind of anonymity too, but thankfully, UU is a nice place to be :D

When I was a boy, I said and did some stupid things.

When I read some of those idiot posts out there, I just have to laugh because those comments generally hold no weight.

Each person is responsible to not let any comment or word hurt them.

I think the lack of having to see people's faces makes people feel braver, plus it carries some kind of anonymity too, but thankfully, UU is a nice place to be :D

I appreciate the usefulness of the internet. But I prefer to purchase things face to face. And when I can't, I will opt to call the phone number on a web page and at least be able to speak to someone.

Complaining when you are in the right is one thing. But bashing a business for buyer's remorse fits very nicely into the "bad things" category.

hehe you must a got a beating huh?

heh heh

I don't have anything to sell thus don't have any need for feedback. What I was doing was looking at different uke stores around the US. Much of the feedback was positive, but about a third was of the "I can't beleive these guys are still in business" variety.

When recently looking in my area for a tire store, I saw much the same thing.

Well I got a Mahalo U 30 yesterday from Amazon for 20 dollars brand spanking new delivered. I decided to look at the reviews on it again and I found them not to be so great. They are made by people who don't know anything about ukuleles pretty much. Oh it goes out of tune a lot! is what you hear from these idiots or... its just a toy. Well for twenty dollars, I find this to be a fantastic little uke. It has a nubone compensated bridge. Has great intonation. Didn't need any setup. I just filed the nut slots a tad to bring it into the realm of 'superb' but it was ok without my doing it. I will say there are all kinds of snots on it and I had to use steelwool to get the stain off the frets but other than that, its a nice little uke.... Maybe I need to put a sane review in there.

Oh, I went to a hip doctor for surgery who only had two stars lmao. Yeah feedback can be a bitch but somehow it keeps sellers a little more customer service oriented.

I had bought a Mahalo U350 from Amazon, a seller on amazon and it had some nicks and stuff on it. I paid 60 for it delivered with a hardshell case and I emailed the guy to complain about the dents etc. ... he just wanted me to be happy so asked what it would take. I told him twenty bucks and he took twenty off it so I paid like 40 delivered for the uke... I gave him a great review. OTOH this lady on ebay robbed me of priority shipping which I had paid for and saved herself 1.50 in shipping to send me a uke on a slow boatPparcel post). I gave her feedback stating the facts and didn't give her a lot of stars... maybe she will learn, maybe not.

Top Bottom