ukulele repairs on oahu

Kaneohe til the end

Reaction score
anyone on oahu know who repairs ukuleles? my grandpa's 40yo+ kamaka needs to be cleaned badly. i also want grover tuning pegs installed (i dont like the pegs that stick out the back of the headstock), and i need my peg bridge changed to a tie bar. it is currently strung as a 4 string, but i want it as a 6 string bridge. it has 6 tuning pegs, just the wrong bridge

Take it to the factory, get an estimate and go from there. Dan's Guitars (corner of McCully & Beretania) is and authorized Kamaka vendor and also does repairs.

anyone on oahu know who repairs ukuleles? my grandpa's 40yo+ kamaka needs to be cleaned badly. i also want grover tuning pegs installed (i dont like the pegs that stick out the back of the headstock), and i need my peg bridge changed to a tie bar. it is currently strung as a 4 string, but i want it as a 6 string bridge. it has 6 tuning pegs, just the wrong bridge

You don't like friction tuners? WHY?!?!?!

You don't like friction tuners? WHY?!?!?!

because every experience i had with them ended in frustration. ive only used them on my brother's old keiki kamaka, and the tenor kamaka, but they are both really tight and super hard to tune accurately, and i just kinda like the look when they stick off the side:D

anyone know where to buy 6 string grover tuners? i only can find sets of 4.
i just realized that this is going to look weird.
HPIM0089.jpg

any suggestions? slotted headstock maybe, but then the hole in the middle is still there, whats worse is its not even in the middle, its off to the side.

Last edited:
anyone know where to buy 6 string grover tuners? i only can find sets of 4.
i just realized that this is going to look weird.
HPIM0089.jpg

any suggestions? slotted headstock maybe, but then the hole in the middle is still there, whats worse is its not even in the middle, its off to the side.

Did someone convert that into a 6 string? It definitely doesn't look stock, lol.

because every experience i had with them ended in frustration. ive only used them on my brother's old keiki kamaka, and the tenor kamaka, but they are both really tight and super hard to tune accurately, and i just kinda like the look when they stick off the side:D

I keep my friction tuners semi-tight. It's kind of hard at first, but after a while I got the hang of tuning with them. I only like the look of geared tuners on Tenors (just doesn't look right to me when they're on a concert or soprano). I DO love slotted headstocks though.

Be sure to share a picture with us when you install the geared tuners! I'd love to see where the top middle one goes, and where it will stick out. Interesting configuration!

from the photo id say you have a four string and the two holes are aftermarket installed. If it were a six the holes would not be in the wierd configuration on yours.

that would make sense because the bridge only has 4 pegs. he gave it to me, with the tuners on still, and the 2 pegs that would have made it a 6 looked newer

Top Bottom