what kind of a Tenor should I buy?

Gudjon

Reaction score
Hi. I want to buy a Tenor Uke and I'm ready to pay about 1000$ for it.
I like warm sound and I want a good instrument. What would you buy?
Kamaka? Kanile'a? or something different?

Buying tips....

I'd buy 10 makala laminate mahogany ukes.

Buying tips....

I'd buy 10 makala laminate mahogany ukes.

I'm kidding. I would actually buy a KoAloha tenor if I wanted koa. Or a Kanile'a sound monster (satin finish one). Or a kamaka with a little bit of curl.

Are you wanting koa or mahogany?

Gudjon, even though you signed up here several months ago, since this is your first post, we don't know anything about your background or what ukes you may already have.

$1K out of the box is a lot to spend unless you just have lots of cash and want the best.

Personally i'm saving up now for a Moore Bettah :)

But as Itsme says, for $1k you have a pretty decent range of ukuleles at your fingertips :)
Good luck and i hope you find something that makes you really happy!

Last edited:
I started playing the ukulele 6 months ago and I have a Oscar Schmidt OU2
I want a good, solid koa uke that can grow old with me (I'm 16)

Hi mate, were it me I'd by a Mya Moe tradition model tenor. Wonderful, wonderful ukuleles. Second choice would be a Kamaka HF-3.

Have fun shopping and welcome to the forums!

I love Kanile'as. I've owned three - loved them all. But personally...

I'd contact Brad Donaldson and get it built to your exact specifications...

'Cause that's what I'm doing.

Do you have access to try them out......if so, let you ears tell you which one...ukuleles differ not only in the brands but also from uke to uke even in the same models..
they are individual as in us human beings and all have their own distintive voices..good luck...

1K$ is a lot of money if you want to go with a production uke but it's not that much if you go with a custom...but there are some builders that you can have very nice custom uke at that price. I'm thinking specially of Mike Pereira (MP ukulele) that I think in that price range is quite a good deal. If you want something warm but very punchy, his cedar top-padauk sides and back is an amazing combo. His all koa is also very nice.

In the production uke, I think the super tenor from Kanilea is the most warm and balance uke that I've tried and owned in the past...it's an amazing uke and very close to high end customs in my opinion.

You can hear a little comparison in a few tenors that I have in this clip if you haven't seen it yet....

Thanks

I love Kanile'as. I've owned three - loved them all. But personally...

I'd contact Brad Donaldson and get it built to your exact specifications...

'Cause that's what I'm doing.

What would that cost me?

No.. I live in Iceland (Eyjafjallajökull)
I can try...
KALA
MAKALA
LANIKAI
Oscar Schmidt
and some junk

LoL Ok that sucks for someone looking for a high end `ukulele, but... at least there are instruments there for you to try!

Top Bottom