Thoughts on singing?

That sounds pretty good. Your playing abilities are there. Good work!

Thoughts on Singing:
This is a tough song. Lots of low/mid voicing and then it jumps up to that upper octave. You did pretty well, but I could hear the strain. I hear it in my voice too when I sing similar songs. I would do two things:
1) Select another key which will lower it by about a step or a step and a half. This will ease you voice in the upper register. However, you sacrifice your low end, so this might not work if the low just isn't there. But, listening to this, I'm betting it is.
2) Spend some time in front of the piano plunking out only the melody (no chords at all). Sing along with this and make your voice sound as much like that piano as possible. Choose syllables rather than words ("Loo Loo Loo" or "Doo Doo Doo") to sing with. If you do this and warm your voice up on the low working up to the high end, you'll get a few more semi-tones out of it and that higher register (and lower) will get easier and clearer.

Again, I think overall it is a good cut!

~DB

You have the potential to sing really well--nice intonation and depth. You are singing from the top of your chest, however. Try messing around in the shower (bathrooms have a nice resonating chamber effect, helping us to sound good.) Experiment with dropping your diaphragm and singing from lower in your chest. When you project your sound, try to think of a triangle with your nose in the middle (your head and sinuses are part of your "instrument" and act as the soundbox on the uke or violin.) Project the sound right above the bony part of the nose and between your eyes. WHen you hit a high note, imagine the top of your skull is lifting off like a teapot lid. Warming up can also help. Go through scales, "ma mee moo meh moooh" -each half note from lowest to highest you can do and make the sound come out the way you like. Do this in the bathroom also and listen to your voice. When you get a sound you like, concentrate on how your body feels as you make that sound. A lot of voice is relaxation and tricks to trick the body into doing what you imagine. I used to be a better singer (asthma got to me) but I practice and can hit High A's which amazes my friends as I have a relatively medium low voice as a speaker. But I am actually a soprano and I stay high by practicing to exercise the upper register. Practice and experimentation can teach yourself how you can get the sound you want. Or you could take a few voice lessons to have someone show you some interesting techniques.

i think your voice works much better if you dont change notes quickly rather a very seamless transition

Top Bottom