Glossy or Matte finish?

gyre

Reaction score
Any opinions on one over the other? I'm ordering a Mainland Concert Uke.
Thanks!

Debatable, but most folks don't think it makes any difference although I understand the Kanilea "Tone Monsters" have satin finishes....not sure that's what makes them tone monsters though.

hey gyre!

I like both. I like the gloss for it's adding durability and bringing out the figuring in the wood, but I like the satin for it's simple aesthetic appeal too.

Welcome to the forums mate and enjoy the new Mainland!!!

I suppose it all comes down to personal preference, although some might argue that the thicker finish for gloss could impair the wood's sound qualities. It also shows fingerprints and should be wiped down after playing.

Personally, I prefer a natural/matte finish, although I do like my Mainland red cedar glossy tenor a lot. :)

I got a concert mainland in glossy. I love how the grain of the wood comes to life. I also like being able to wipe it off with a soft cloth and have it come clean easier. I also think the gloss protects the wood a little more but I might be deluding myself in that.

Yes, it really is your personal choice but for me......it's gotta be gloss!!!

I prefer the look of satin, but the durability and feel of gloss. If I'm playing standing up, the satin ones seem to slide around a little bit more

Yup personal preference....for protection and asthetics ...gloss is prettier... some says it sounds better and louder with oil or satin..

Glossy is really pretty...and shoes strum marks really bad. And fingerprints. An unless I am ukin' in the nude, they are slippery too- I totally prefer satin. It is not as durable and not as pretty, but it is easy to hang on to

I can appreciate the visual richness of gloss, but have realized that I'm intimidated by something too shiny pretty perfect. Make mine satin.

Thank you. I checked out all the links to other discussions, too. I want both! But I'm going with the Matte.

Glad to see you've made your choice!

Just wanted to welcome you to the forums :D UU is a great place :D

my first uke was gloss, so the second one had to be matte to be able to acompare them.

the differece i feel is that matte has a bit more high end, tiny noticable but is there.
second, i touch a lot the uku while i'm playing, includding the nail tapping technique from the flamenco, all these sound are more noticeable with the matte finish

Top Bottom