PDA

View Full Version : ordered my new HONU

poppy
07-16-2011, 07:01 PM
Well I looked and looked and hymned and hawed considered many in this price range and I'm not sure if it was the turtle in the head stock or the beauty of this that was my final factor. I wanted to try a concert and darn near choked on genes mya moe I am so glad that sold fast as it was well above what I had allowed myself. I read every post on uu about Honu including the one where the owner himself joined us ,I was impressed. I'm not a big follower and as a rule I make my choices carefully Martins never stood a chance as i was a gibson/gretch type never did lke martins. the only uke left in the end was this and the koAloha just because of all the rave reviews about it here. But it was above what I felt I should spend on a uke for sitting in my room or going to the park to play. so I ordered this one it looks awsum I hope its as nice inperson.' The dealer is in Fla and is holding it for a week till the hard case arrives. We exchanged several e mails and then talked ,I pulled the trigger today as I was afraid it would get away the almost twin did ! I will update my impressions when I recieve it. Till then my uas will remain in control for a while lol.

But i really am in love with the turtle !!!

DreamerZz
07-16-2011, 07:22 PM
Ahahahahhaha

You got the other one! (probs from penny lane)
I had a choice between this and another one that was slightly lighter, but i chose the lighter one. They are exactly the same in all the other ways and you will be more impressed in person.

Mine was absolutely gorgeous and i promise you wont be disappointed in yours either

EDIT: Did the owner give you a 15% discount? He reduced the price for me from 480->440$. (his first name was like armando or something)

poppy
07-16-2011, 07:34 PM
Great he sent me a copy of your e mail seems you liked it pretty well ,I'm so glad you choose the light one LOL. I'm more into the dark ones My only concern is the KOA I am in the north and we run the air all summer and the heat all winter I have to get some kinda humidifer soon. He won't have a case til Froday but at $40 more its worth the wait.

Dan Uke
07-16-2011, 07:38 PM
Great looking uke!! With air on constantly, make sure you humidify and keep in case when not in use!!

molokinirum
07-17-2011, 01:37 AM
Congrats!! That is a nice looking uke! I really like the grain and I too prefer the darker colored wood!!!
The real hard part is the LONG wait until your uke arrives at your doorstep!!!!!

DreamerZz
07-17-2011, 07:01 AM
here is how mine looks. Truely impressive. Yes that is a Jake signature :D

http://i.imgur.com/j541Z.jpg

Dan Uke
07-17-2011, 12:36 PM
Both Honus look nice!!

poppy
07-19-2011, 09:18 AM
Well i ordered a humidifier and humidistat. figured I'd try some homemade humidifiers on my other cases and move the humidistat around. also ordered some Worth and Fremont strings as I am sure i will want to try for different sounds. This way I can start playing around as soon as it gets here lol.

BadLands Bart
07-19-2011, 09:44 AM
Very nice!! That is a beauty you are getting. I also like the darker woods and that grain looks sharp!!
Congratulations!!! :music:

PoiDog
07-19-2011, 09:50 AM
Congrats on the new baby! I was looking at the Big Island Ukes as well, but wasn't able to afford one. I did get to play one at a local store, and it was very nice. Since that time the aNueNue fell into my lap at a steal, so I had to get that one. From my (admittedly limited) experience with both, I can tell they are similar in quality, sound, and construction, so my Big Island craving has been somewhat abated. Though it is still on my wish list.

And I totally agree, the honu inlay on the headstock is really cool.

Enjoy!

coolkayaker1
09-30-2011, 08:50 AM
Poppy: I'm just down river from your in Geneva, IL. I am seriously thinking about a BI Honu and am scouring every UU thread about it. But, I see your nice and excited thread, and then, bam, nothing. You didn;t post after you got it so I have no clue if you liked it and your thoughts after a few months with it. I'll put this on your personal message board, too, and perhaps you could post a reply on your review thread, poppy. Everyone saying it's "quiet", etc. Thoughts? See ya, from downstream on the Fox.

poppy
09-30-2011, 01:03 PM
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?51034-New-Honu-concert-first-impressions

think i did a follow up after this even but I cant find it . The action is now perfect. Fat Cat guitars did the work they are on randall road just west of dundee so you can reach them easily.
It is my easy chair uke, I play it every day. Don't know what else to say its great. I have a combination of worth bm's and fremont blacklines with low g on it now.

Oh yea Personally I do not consider it quiet. There is a discussion on here somewhere as to where did loud become more important that tone/sound I think the honu is great.

coolkayaker1
09-30-2011, 03:44 PM
Thanks poppy, for that and the link to your photos. Wow, I have to say, that uke is bling central, baby! Drop Baby Drop, indeed! I have yet to see a uke as pretty as that. I know Winkler LLC Koa distributors, so I'm sure he picks some choice koa for his ukes. Thanks for the Fat Cat Guitars tip, too.

That's great about the volume...I read on other threads about getting one of those wire resonators and stuff for the back and what not. No need, clearly. Anyhow, thanks for your input, poppy. I'm ready to upgrade from my Cordoba CK (cheap koa) 25 that I got at Guitar Center in Algonquin. It was the best they had in-store, and you know how those GC 15% off coupons can make a guy do some pretty nutty stuff. C ya, poppy from Dundee. CK1 from Geneva.

Trinimon
09-30-2011, 04:05 PM
Congrats on the Honu!

poppy
09-30-2011, 07:13 PM
Been to that store in algonquin ,bought my music stand and lights there matter a fact and a software pgm for my son to use with his turn tables (terrible noise ). You went right by Fat Cat on the way
(Scott is the luthier there). I looked at those cages and I honestly think they will make any stringed instrument louder but not my cup of tea. I did add a strap button ,have one on all my ukes, and with the strap you can just push the neck out a bit and set the struming arm lighter and its amazing how much louder it can get. Also much more secure as I been known to drop stuff lol. Good luck finding one I tried for quite a while to find a traditional tenor and called a few dealers all said probably NOV but it is worth the wait in my opinion GL.