Unmitigated ukulele Joy- Baritone meets Old 97's

TCK

Reaction score
This is the most obvious case of uke joy I know of...but it is ridiculous. This tune is creepy and depressing- but I made it happy for all you fine people.
This really is a creepy song- but I love it. I guess I have been there- guessing some of you have too.
Jennifer Anniston and Vince Vaughn love it too (bonus points- name that movie!)
Wish the Worst- old 97's, baritone Uke, and a tune I play I play every day for warm up...just happened to hit the right button today and record it (ugh- the green light...I hate the green light)
hope you enjoy it- I am such a ham, and such a hack.

Sing along folks if you know the words :)

Last edited:
So...is the restraining order still in effect? LOL

Good job.

I am working on getting this song off-page right now! Love this band so much.

(Incidentally, the movie is The Break-Up. Which I pretty much only went to see because of the band's cameo ;)).

Ali gets bonus points!
Just saw them a few weeks ago- hard to believe they are still so good, but they are.

Oldephart, yep- still in affect ;)

Here it is for any other train wrecks interested, I can never get the chords to display right but if you listen the changes are easy to find:

(G) Why aren't you (D) here?

It's almost (G) 4 A M

I finished up (D)all of your beer

Now I'm startin' (C) on your gin

I went through (D) your diary

(G) flipped through (Em )your phone book (C) called all yer friends

I just (D) wanna know (Am) where you been (Cmaj7 C )

I just(D) wanna know (G) where you been

-Verse 2-

I pulled back your sheets
now I'm crawlin' in your bed.
Every drink's one more defeat
And every footstep hurts my head
I don't want excuses
I don't wanna hear that you were out with your friends
I just wanna know where you been

-Chorus-

I hope you crash (D) your mama's car

I hope you pass (Am) out in some bar

I hope you catch(C) some kinda flu

Let's say I(D) wish the worst (G) for you

I hope you're (D) happy with yourself

I hope you found (Am) somebody else

cause I ain't askin (C)' you again

I just (D) wanna know (Am) where you been (Cmaj7 C )

I just (D) wanna know (G) where you been

-Verse 3-
Why am I here?
I've got better things to do
I could hang out on the pier down by the Hudson, sniffin' glue.
I guess I'm a loser but I like being miserable swimming in sin.
I just wanna know where you been.

-Chorus-

I hope you crash your mama's car
I hope you pass out in some bar
I hope you catch some kinda flu
Let's say I wish the worst for you
I hope you're happy with yourself
I hope you found somebody else
cause I ain't askin' you again

Last edited:
...I can never get the chords to display right but if you listen the changes are easy to find:...

HTML ignores whitespace so a tab or one space or 200 spaces is all the same - one space. That's why I've started creating chord sheets with the chord changes embedded with the lyrics ("[C]This is a change to [G]yada yada").

BTW, I also just discovered that the forum software retains the spaces even though html won't display them. So if you "reply with quote" to a post where someone has cut and pasted a lead sheet the edit box will show all the spaces. You can then CTRL-A, CTRL-C the text box to get all the formatted text onto your system clipboard, then paste into a notepad document to get the original spacing. Well, the original spacing assuming the person who pasted the text was using a fixed-width font in whatever they were editing with when they created the sheet.

John

Awesome Dave. That rocked mate. And ooooh that baritone sounds yummy... :drool:

Thanks mate- gave it a proper flogging there...but I do love that Uke. I got Mel to play it tonight for our next, going to do a little Arlo Guthrie when John's Banjo Uke (I guess it is my banjo uke now) gets here ;) The trick on it is the Southcoast strings though...man those things are amazing- I am a total fanboy

Last edited:
Thanks mate- gave it a proper flogging there...but I do love that Uke. I got Mel to play it tonight for our next, going to do a little Arlo Guthrie when John's Banjo Uke (I guess it is my banjo uke now) gets here ;) The trick on it is the Southcoast strings though...man those things are amazing- I am a total fanboy

you talkin bout Bianchi?

which Arlo tune are you gonna break out...or is it a surprise

Yeah- Bianchi sold me his little Maybell, because of course I need two (big one little one- makes total sense right?)- it is the one he plays in the Canary video. Hopefully shipped today :)
Well, the Arlo tune won't be much of a surprise, but we have been working on City Of New Orleans for a long time- it is just about ready.

Top Bottom