PDA

View Full Version : Review of the Kala KA-SMHC all solid mahogany soprano ukulele

kaizersoza
07-17-2011, 06:52 AM
I bought this uke 6 days ago from strings direct in the UK, it cost 109 with free delivery, this price is a steal because it is priced much higher on other websites, i ordered it late on monday night and it was in my sticky little hands on thursday morning, fantastic service and price from stringsdirect. When i opened the box the uke was there perfect in all its mahogany glory, it has a matt finish, has faux tortoiseshell purfling around the edges of the sound box, and looks absoluteley bloody gorgeous, the Kala name is inlaid into the headstock and not a sticker or transfer, it has a rosewood fret board and nickel frets, it also comes with aquilas strings, it was well set up straight from the box and did'nt need much tuning and although it has new strings holds its tune very well, the sound is crisp and mellow and resonates beautifully for a soprano, it is easy to play and I love it already, it comes with chrome friction tuners and they are holding a tune very well, i do need to slightly tune it in but nothing like some i've seen. Overall I am immensely happy i bought this uke it is mellow, quite a classic style that plays like far more expensive ukes, what a bargain

PhilUSAFRet
07-19-2011, 05:30 PM
Super! Glad you like it. You got a good deal too! How about some pic's

finbar
07-21-2011, 09:44 AM
This is an excellent price.
I bought mine nearly two years ago and it's been my favourite Uke ever since.
It's a quality build that you would expect to pay far more for. I changed the strings to Worths (brown) which transformed the sound giving it the mellow tones I was looking for.
I hated the Aquilas strings on this uke, but I like them on other ukes.
I'm currently using Worths (clear), but I'm missing the brown ones and may have to change again.
Just out of interest I thought the "C" at the end on SMHC meant it was a concert size. Mine is SMHS the "S" for Soprano. Have a look at the label inside the sound hole.
Enjoy your Uke it's a good one.:shaka:

Finbar :cool:

kaizersoza
08-04-2011, 03:50 PM
yep it is an SMHS my mistake

hibiscus
08-04-2011, 04:44 PM
It's a beauty~ congrats!

kaizersoza
08-05-2011, 04:20 AM
yep i love it hibiscus thanx

SailingUke
08-05-2011, 04:50 AM
I just picked up a Baritone model. I don't play much baritone, so I did not want to spend too much. I was given a cheap Mahalo, that is really not much of an instrument.
I got a killer price on the SMHB and I am super impressed.

kaizersoza
08-05-2011, 06:39 AM
happy strumming sailinguke, i love my soprano version, its got a gutsy side to it and reasonably priced