PDA

View Full Version : The Anti-Eddie Vedder movement

austin1
07-17-2011, 07:58 AM
Sigh. I mean, I'm glad he did it, and I'm sure it's a nice album, but I am tired of getting links to his website from family, friends, and Facebook people I haven't seen in twelve years, who are all "ohmygodlookthisguyisfamousandplaystheukuleleandsod oyouandthere'snowayyou'veseenthisalreadysoI'msendi ngyoualink." My family and friends won't stop asking if I play Eddie Vedder songs, or if I play like Eddie Vedder, or if I like Eddie Vedder, or where can they learn to play like Eddie Vedder because they like Eddie Vedder. I am over Eddie Vedder. I'm over that I can't say I play the ukulele without the internet being all up in my grill with "WOAH, JUST LIKE EDDIE VEDDER." The gods did not give Eddie Vedder an ukulele made of gold after he was put through seven trials and sat under a waterfall for forty days and forty nights in his underwear, waiting for the full moon to reveal the secret password to him so he could open the Shrine of the Silver Monkey. I played the ukulele before Eddie Vedder, and I will play after it stops entertaining him and he goes back to his cool kid instruments. Surely I cannot be alone in this? Anybody? Anybody?

pulelehua
07-17-2011, 08:02 AM
I played his stuff to some of my students and they were generally kind of, "Yeah. Okay... Can we play 'Beyond the Sea' again?"

I actually quite like what he's done. I like how it is his style, but can't possibly be the Pearl Jam low groove sound. He's got to come at it from a different angle. I don't think there's anything definitive or ground-breaking there. But it will probably drive another several thousand devotees toward our little 4-stringed friend, and that can't be bad.

And we'll all hear "I'm Yours" a bit less often.

:)

SailQwest
07-17-2011, 08:11 AM
I have no idea who Eddie Vedder is. Don't know; don't care.

OldePhart
07-17-2011, 08:12 AM
Would it help if I let you in on a secret? i don't know who Eddie Vedder is. Really. Don't particularly care to, either. Don't have nothing against him, he's welcome to do his thing, but why would I get excited about his playing the ukulele if I, as far as I know, have never heard anything else he's played?!

Okay, I'll crawl back into my prehistoric cave, now. :)

John

austin1
07-17-2011, 08:14 AM
But it will probably drive another several thousand devotees toward our little 4-stringed friend, and that can't be bad.

It COULD be bad. They could be Pearl Jam fans. Do you really want to see seven thousand Pearl Jam fans at ukulele functions? Really and truly? They don't shower enough.

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
07-17-2011, 08:20 AM
If anyone wants to make an album of ukulele songs, that's cool with me. (Of course, I don't expect to like all those records.)

Since Eddie Vedder did it, the music press is in a tizzy to write another series of "The ukulele is making a comeback!" articles. The media attention will die down in a few weeks, your family and friends will forget Eddie Vedder ever made that record, and you (and Eddie Vedder) will still be playing ukulele. No problem.

EDW
07-17-2011, 08:21 AM
I guess it would be better to have them send links of Tiny Tim playing "Tiptoe through the Tulips"

;-)

UncleElvis
07-17-2011, 08:23 AM
Yer KILLIN' me, girl!

I totally get what you're saying! Without the same amount of vehemence, yes, but...

I get that all the time, too. "Dude! You play ukulele? You gotta check this guy playing George Harrison songs in Central Park! I'll send you a link!"
Or the one dude that looked up the vid of Over The Rainbow and thinks that he's an expert on ukuleles 'cuz he knows that Bruddah Iz was a big fella and walks up to the stage and, angrily, says "You're too thin to play this song" (Which I was only doing under duress)...

OH! My fave from last night! "Do you know that Paul McCartney song?"
"Um... he wrote a couple of them, which one?"
"The ukulele one."
"No. I don't know that. I've never heard it before."
"Hold on... ok.. here are the chords."
"I don't know the song. Never heard it."
"The first one is an F. You DO know how to play an F chord, right?"
"Um. Yeah. But I don't know how the song goes."
"Just play an F"
Strum strum strum.
"That's not how it goes."

So, I just played a completely different song.

martinman79
07-17-2011, 08:24 AM
I think the album is great. Of course this is coming from a Pearl Jam fan with terrible cleansing habits.

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
07-17-2011, 08:26 AM
It COULD be bad. They could be Pearl Jam fans. Do you really want to see seven thousand Pearl Jam fans at ukulele functions? Really and truly? They don't shower enough.

You might want to be careful about making blanket statements (even in fun) about large, diverse groups of people. "They" may not take it well.

Gillian
07-17-2011, 08:29 AM
I've never made an effort to listen to Eddie Vedder or Pearl Jam but I wanted to hear his ukulele songs album.

The only song that got my attention was his cover of "Tonight, You Belong To Me". I didn't much care for his version, but if it gets people to play this delightful little song, then that's a good thing.

austin1
07-17-2011, 08:29 AM
You might want to be careful about making blanket statements (even in fun) about large, diverse groups of people. "They" may not take it well.

"They" are beautiful wonderful charity-donating people who can hopefully appreciate a bit of tongue-in-cheek. :D

All I'm saying is that Eddie Vedder is not the be-all, end-all of the ukulele, just because he was in a moderately-successful rock band. Ukulele music does not stop with him, however much the internet may disagree with me.

UncleElvis
07-17-2011, 08:36 AM
I think what you're trying to say is that you're feeling more than a little frustrated by the constant references to him, coming from all sides, at all times, from everywhere, as well as the, what seems to you (and others), insane amount of hype and rave reviews for what is, essentially, a halfway decent, albeit a little boring, ukulele album by a rockstar and, although you appreciate the attention it's giving to this little instrument that we love, you're a little sick of hearing about it, especially from folks that should know that you've already heard of it.

austin1
07-17-2011, 08:37 AM
I think what you're trying to say is that you're feeling more than a little frustrated by the constant references to him, coming from all sides, at all times, from everywhere, as well as the, what seems to you (and others), insane amount of hype and rave reviews for what is, essentially, a halfway decent, albeit a little boring, ukulele album by a rockstar and, although you appreciate the attention it's giving to this little instrument that we love, you're a little sick of hearing about it, especially from folks that should know that you've already heard of it.

...Marry me?

UncleElvis
07-17-2011, 08:38 AM
...Marry me?

Any time, doll...

hoosierhiver
07-17-2011, 08:52 AM
I've successfully ignored it, I have enough trouble keeping up with my YT subscriptions.

pulelehua
07-17-2011, 08:54 AM
Well, I suppose living in the UK, where Pearl Jam was never THAT big, we are in some ways sheltered from the buffeting winds of Veddermania. Which is a shame, given local bathing habits.

;)

PhilUSAFRet
07-17-2011, 09:00 AM
I don't really care.....he's bringing a gazillion new uke players to the instrument, many of whom I'm sure will expand their repertoire and become "just like us" (whoever we are.)
When they send you a link, make a deal with them, you'll listen to theirs (if you haven't already heard it, if they'll listen to your favorite uker, be it Jake or whoever.

martinman79
07-17-2011, 09:12 AM
I'll be the first to admit that Ed Vedder is what made me interested in the Ukulele. If he didn't put out the album I wouldn't have called Mainland Ukes and put in an order. Different strokes for different folks.

didgeridoo2
07-17-2011, 09:16 AM
So, he's famous. His band may or may not play your taste of music. Sounds to me like he found the ukulele much like the rest of us and he's using it to play his music. Good for him, I say. Sure, the rest of the world is taking notice and that could bring some annoying questions when people find out that you play too. It is better than trying to defend Tiny Tim. Also, imagine how Vedder's rock colleagues are giving him a hard time for playing the uke. Except Dave Matthews. Now he's playing his uke in concert. Trey Anastasio is recognized as one of the best guitar players out there and he has a uke. If he plays it live, watch out and hold your nose. Us Phish fans are notoriously stinky...

"I played the uke before Eddie Vedder"- are you sure about this?

janeray1940
07-17-2011, 10:05 AM
I played his stuff to some of my students and they were generally kind of, "Yeah. Okay... Can we play 'Beyond the Sea' again?"

Your students have good taste :)

I think it's great when anybody chooses to make an album featuring the ukulele - doesn't matter whether or not I care for it, I just think it's cool that it was done in the first place. That being said, though - I'm already a bit weary of people who know I play, but don't really "get" what I play, asking me what I think of the EV record. It just makes me kind of sad that there's so much *other* great ukulele music out there, but the mainstream doesn't know or care about it.

Doc_J
07-17-2011, 10:09 AM
I'm only half ancient, and more of a Clapton fan myself. And if he puts out a ukulele album.....the world is about to end.

Seriously, Eddie's album is decent, if over-hyped.

But from what I've seen on Amazon reviews of his album, about half his fans think his "Ukulele Songs" album sucks.

http://www.amazon.com/Ukulele-Songs-Digital-Booklet/product-reviews/B004XOGLBQ/ref=cm_cr_pr_hist_1?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&filterBy=addOneStar

RyanMFT
07-17-2011, 10:10 AM
Stinky......Ha! I guess I am the regularly gooming/showering type of Pearly Jam fan!

I haven't been overwhelmed by people telling me about Vedder.....I'm kind of surprised I haven't had more. I like the album quite a bit, and I too am delighted that it may bring more people into the fold!

Actually, I have had more people who know I play say....."You are so cool to be into things that aren't the norm". Seems to me that younger generations have no association with the uke being uncool or related to Tiny Tim or anything like that. Maybe it is the baby boomer generations passion with the guitar which caused the uke to step aside for a bit.......but only for 40 years or so!

joeybug
07-17-2011, 10:26 AM
OH! My fave from last night! "Do you know that Paul McCartney song?"
"Um... he wrote a couple of them, which one?"
"The ukulele one."
"No. I don't know that. I've never heard it before."
"Hold on... ok.. here are the chords."
"I don't know the song. Never heard it."
"The first one is an F. You DO know how to play an F chord, right?"
"Um. Yeah. But I don't know how the song goes."
"Just play an F"
Strum strum strum.
"That's not how it goes."

So, I just played a completely different song.

Oh that made me :rofl: so hard! Seriously, I can totally imagine that happening!

In reply to OP, I have no idea who Eddie Vedder is, I do know he put out an album but being poor I haven't brought it...yet....and I honestly prefer the album Krabbers sent me, Darla likes to sing along, I do too, even B does, why do we need Eddie Veeder?!

diego
07-17-2011, 10:29 AM
Hi Austin, I think you should just let it go. After a few months no one will remember. Of course many people will start talking about ukulele because of Vedder. They might even buy one. It will be interesting to see statistics on that from sellers. See if there is a significant increase in ukulele sales after the Vedder album.

For what it's worth, I got into ukulele because of Jack Johnson, second song I learned was over the rainbow/wonderful world, and the third was I'm yours. I guess I have sinned. But hey when I play ukulele live, people enjoy those last to, and usually don't know the other songs I play.

heymak
07-17-2011, 10:37 AM
Oh my Gosh Eddie Vedder has an ukulele album. I was in the Army with a Bruce Vedder once, back in the day, think they're related.

jlester2200
07-17-2011, 10:50 AM
"i'm tired of all the attention ev gets - i think i'll start a thread about it"

if it's not your cup of tea, to quote the beatles, let it be.
Ed is the real deal, like it or not. he's a talent, his voice, not uke, is gold. he did not go thru the ordeals the op invented, rather just worked and practiced really really hard (which is what i should be doing ahorita) and all of the time.
his first instrument was a uke his mom bought him at a garage sale. he was 12
PJ fans are regular folks who bathe with the same regularity as people who hate the band, or are otherwise disinterested.

the whole PJ scene, it's exactly like the uke - either you get it, or you don't. but don't begrudge those of us who do. it's like the (insert instrument here) player looking down his nose at the uke, or giving you the "pfft" sound when you mention you play. sucks.
"oh, you like pJ? pffft" sucks

don't begrudge famous folks for rocking the uke. everyone should play. everyone.
feels good.

UncleElvis
07-17-2011, 11:05 AM
You guys do get that this was posted in jest, exaggerating a mild and momentary frustration with the inevitable, an I think this is something we ALL get, "Oh, you play ukulele? Do you know [insert whatever's big at the moment]?" and the wonderful, but mildly annoying "You play uke, I just saw this and you HAVE to see it" to hyperbolic levels.

She's not begrudging you anything, just making a humorous observation.

austin1
07-17-2011, 11:31 AM
"i'm tired of all the attention ev gets - i think i'll start a thread about it"

if it's not your cup of tea, to quote the beatles, let it be.
Ed is the real deal, like it or not. he's a talent, his voice, not uke, is gold. he did not go thru the ordeals the op invented, rather just worked and practiced really really hard (which is what i should be doing ahorita) and all of the time.
his first instrument was a uke his mom bought him at a garage sale. he was 12
PJ fans are regular folks who bathe with the same regularity as people who hate the band, or are otherwise disinterested.

the whole PJ scene, it's exactly like the uke - either you get it, or you don't. but don't begrudge those of us who do. it's like the (insert instrument here) player looking down his nose at the uke, or giving you the "pfft" sound when you mention you play. sucks.
"oh, you like pJ? pffft" sucks

don't begrudge famous folks for rocking the uke. everyone should play. everyone.
feels good.

You misunderstood me entirely. I believe I shall sulk under the full moon until the password to the Shrine of the Silver Monkey is revealed to me. :D

CoLmes
07-17-2011, 11:34 AM
Here here tina.

I'm not mad that he's playing it, its probably going to extend the "fad era" for a few more years but I really dont like the attitude he gives off with it. I think he thinks that he's allowing himself to "come down a level" to play the uke as well as he is making an artistic statement that he doesn't need a "real instrument". That's the vibe I get, not saying that is his message, just a vibe. Its kind of the same way when I watched the video of how Train decided to use a uke for hey soul sister. I could tell the player still thought of it as a toy.

uke_rob
07-17-2011, 11:41 AM
The thing is, the Uke is a love and a passion, not a gimmick for the big stars for flaunt and for the average Joe public to get excited about and think EV is the be all and end all. Those people who were once mocking you for playing the uke, are now asking you to play EV because he is the new trend.

It's one of those double edged swords, you like the fact you play a unique instrument that isn't the norm' , but like wise it is such a cool unique instrument that people will like it and pick it up, and no doubt it will get bigger!

I just found out at my niece's school they have Uke lessons!!!! Where were they when I was at school ? She wants one now which is awesome.

I might be a mile out with what I'm saying, but I do get what you mean, I'm just not that great with words!

mm stan
07-17-2011, 11:44 AM
Aloha Tina,
If you asked me now if I know of any EV songs(can't even spell his name..Ha ha) ...I can't even name one.. sorry, EV fans.... ha ha
Doesn't mean I don't like his music, just haven't heard him yet..

uke_rob
07-17-2011, 11:44 AM
Here here tina.

I'm not mad that he's playing it, its probably going to extend the "fad era" for a few more years but I really dont like the attitude he gives off with it. I think he thinks that he's allowing himself to "come down a level" to play the uke as well as he is making an artistic statement that he doesn't need a "real instrument". That's the vibe I get, not saying that is his message, just a vibe. Its kind of the same way when I watched the video of how Train decided to use a uke for hey soul sister. I could tell the player still thought of it as a toy.

Colmes - Yeah I get that with Train too. Everyone bangs on and wants to do the cover, I personally hate the song, it's bed wetting material. But I dislike more the people who look down at the uke and think it is a toy or not a "real" instrument.

Can you believe someone said to me the other day "Do you play the uk because you can't play guitar"
"No, I play the uke because I love the sound, and more importantly because I choose to play the uke"

thejumpingflea
07-17-2011, 11:57 AM
I *love* Vedder's new album. I love the rawness of it. His voice and the uke are a great fit in my opinion.

Awareness of the uke is up because of this too. I love it. I am really sad I missed him live here in Seattle.

austin1
07-17-2011, 12:00 PM
Can you believe someone said to me the other day "Do you play the uk because you can't play guitar"
"No, I play the uke because I love the sound, and more importantly because I choose to play the uke"

My response to this question is always "Yes, actually." It's true, I picked up the uke because I was a guitar fail!

I find the ukulele impossible to take seriously, and that's the draw for me. I love playing uke, and I love arranging music for the uke, but I find the uke inherently amusing. When I watch Jake play, I feel as though even he sees the humor in the ukulele, and when he punches you in the face with it, it's even better. There are plenty of amazing guitarists in the world, but when that same level of brilliant music is coming from a ukulele, it's all the more surprising, all the more cool, and all the more funny.

This, exactly. Listening to the album (which I did), I get the impression it's less about playing a ukulele, and more about not playing a guitar, and therein lies the rub. There's no humor in it. There's a love for what this not-guitar can do on this not-guitar record, but that's different from a love of the instrument itself. Not that I'm jumping to any conclusions about Eddie Vedder's personal likes (red cabbage, Coldplay, Nickelodeon) and dislikes (mechanical pencils, VW Bugs, chihuahuas). I'm just saying.

diego
07-17-2011, 12:09 PM
just want to add an interview from the web about the reasons he picked it up etc.

Interview with Vedder (http://www.npr.org/blogs/therecord/2011/05/26/136625347/eddie-vedder-giving-a-modest-instrument-a-turn-in-the-spotlight)

It may be not your cup of tea, the album itself doesn't do much to me, but it's not bad or horrible. It seems to me he picked it up especially for it's simplicity. As i said, after playnig guitar for like 18 years or so I started looking for other instruments, like Harmonica and Ukulele.

ItsMrPitchy
07-17-2011, 12:19 PM
I f some people dont like eddie thats fine by me its your opinion.

But i like hey sould sister i like, im yours, EV, Paul McCartney, George Harrison and while my guitar gently weeps. I also enjoy Jka e, Iz and James. The point im trying to make is the ukulele opened up whole new worlds of music for me to listen to and i choose to embrace them. I choose to give anything a try even if its popular heck i gave Bieber and Black a try i hated them but i gave them a try.

You shouldnt hate something because its popular play gently weeps if you like the song, play im yours if you like the song. Dont be discouraged from it because its popular judge it the same as you judge everything else.

Thats what i think aorry for the rant if you dont agree you dont agree but hey you can have your opinion and i will have mine.

bbycrts
07-17-2011, 12:29 PM
...Marry me?

Any time, doll...

Time out! UE, you're already married. Remember her? Besides...you promised yourself to me...

J-Peg
07-17-2011, 12:41 PM
I started playing acoustic guitar in 1977, right about the time it stopped being "cool." The OP describes exactly how I felt in the 90's when everybody started doing "Unplugged" albums.

Especially Nirvana.

haole
07-17-2011, 12:50 PM
I dunno, I try to appreciate music on its own terms rather than judging it based on the people who listen to it or worrying about how it's going to affect the ukulele's image. I've been playing for going on five years and it doesn't bother me that folks are picking it up now, no matter what the reason.

If someone gets into the uke because they heard "Hey Soul Sister" (which I hate because of its lyrics more than anything) or Eddie Vedder's ukulele album (which I actually like a lot because of its rawness and bittersweet vibe), it's cool. This may be Ukulele Underground, but it's not an exclusive club that's supposed to shun players that got into the uke because of its ubiquity in recent popular music. If you're sick of requests for "I'm Yours" or "Hey Soul Sister" or anything by Eddie Vedder or Tiny Tim, prove there's more to the ukulele than that and bust out something unexpected. If you're that concerned with the ukulele's image, chances are that you'll do more for it by proving people wrong than you will by acting like a bitter hipster whose favorite band was just discovered. :B

This goes for other well-respected members of the forum who haven't been around much lately and seem to complain about the same thing (you know who you are, and I love you guys and have a lot of respect for you as musicians). You don't have to love or be best friends with every single person that plays the ukulele. And the uke community doesn't have to be a magical wonderland where everybody gets along all the time. But acting like it's an exclusive club that you were in first certainly isn't doing you any favors.

I fully expect to get my ass kicked for this post, even from people that I like. But it needed to be said. :(

Faricelli
07-17-2011, 12:55 PM
Not to stand up for Eddie but he has been playing the uke since 1999. He actually recorded a uke song on his 2000 binaural album.

greenway
07-17-2011, 01:05 PM
I dunno, I try to appreciate music on its own terms rather than judging it based on the people who listen to it or worrying about how it's going to affect the ukulele's image. I've been playing for going on five years and it doesn't bother me that folks are picking it up now, no matter what the reason.

If someone gets into the uke because they heard "Hey Soul Sister" (which I hate because of its lyrics more than anything) or Eddie Vedder's ukulele album (which I actually like a lot because of its rawness and bittersweet vibe), it's cool. This may be Ukulele Underground, but it's not an exclusive club that's supposed to shun players that got into the uke because of its ubiquity in recent popular music. If you're sick of requests for "I'm Yours" or "Hey Soul Sister" or anything by Eddie Vedder or Tiny Tim, prove there's more to the ukulele than that and bust out something unexpected. If you're that concerned with the ukulele's image, chances are that you'll do more for it by proving people wrong than you will by acting like a bitter hipster whose favorite band was just discovered. :B

This goes for other well-respected members of the forum who haven't been around much lately and seem to complain about the same thing (you know who you are, and I love you guys and have a lot of respect for you as musicians). You don't have to love or be best friends with every single person that plays the ukulele. And the uke community doesn't have to be a magical wonderland where everybody gets along all the time. But acting like it's an exclusive club that you were in first certainly isn't doing you any favors.

I fully expect to get my ass kicked for this post, even from people that I like. But it needed to be said. :(

I agree with everything in here!

Dan Uke
07-17-2011, 01:11 PM
I am for the promotion of ukes regardless of style!!

guitarsnrotts
07-17-2011, 01:11 PM
I'm just worried that 2 many ukers = 2 few ukes and it will cost me more when I find that special one. But it has always been all about me anyway.

austin1
07-17-2011, 01:32 PM
Let's get one thing clear, before I'm actually lynched: nothing, no poem, story, fine arts piece, play, research paper, scientific textbook, or internet forum post that references the Shrine of the Silver Monkey should ever, ever be taken in earnest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBdLoYmUfTE

With that in mind, it was a tongue-in-cheek post meant to poke fun at current trends, the sentiment of one ukulele artist blanketing the entire instrument, and the jumping-onto of the ukulele bandwagon. I did not expect such a myriad of people to so angrily prove my point. Eddie Vedder, I concede. You are a god. I will make offerings of rams and sheep at the waxing moon, give my first-born to the brotherhood, and never, ever, say anything bad about Pearl Jam again. You have me at my word.

garyg
07-17-2011, 01:44 PM
I have to say that I didn't like the uke album very much but I did like the Into the wild song track. For me Vedder's voice just doesn't go well with most uke songs but that comment has been made before. It is good to get more ppl interested in ukes and I suspect that in 11 months the used uke market will be flooded as all those wannabes discover that playing the uke well, will still take lots of practice. Buy low, sell high and don't take any wooden nipples!

guitarsnrotts
07-17-2011, 01:58 PM
But does this mean I can't wear my T-shirt? http://mypartyshirt.com/shrine-of-the-silver-monkey-shirt

Ukuleleblues
07-17-2011, 02:03 PM
I just saw this new release

diego
07-17-2011, 02:12 PM

Lucille seems to have gone trough a shrinkray haha

itsme
07-17-2011, 02:15 PM
<snip>

No ass kicking from me, I pretty much 100% agree with you. :) To each their own.

uke4ia
07-17-2011, 02:15 PM

Amen. I don't think I met another ukulele player for the first five years I played. The only reason I knew they existed was because my local music store carried uke strings. In the '80s and '90s, a lot of the uke players I met treated me like I wasn't "a real uke player" because I played rock songs instead of '20s Hawaiian and Tin Pan Alley songs. Just since I joined UU in March, I've learned I'm also not "a real uke players" to some members because

I usually strum like a guitarist instead of using only uke-specific strums
I strum over the soundhole instead of over the fretboard
I use my thumb in fretting some chords

The fact is that a decent guitarist can pick up the uke pretty easily. I accept that. If I aspire to be a really good uke player, that just makes me the equivalent of a solid rhythm guitar player. That's okay. I do it anyway, because I'm a ukulele player. People can make up their own weird entrance requirements, so that in their own minds they can exclude the guitarists who come along. But I think we're better off with them.

I played for decades in the post-Tiny Tim wasteland, when he'd singlehandedly made such a laughingstock of the instrument that a ukulele player couldn't hope to be taken seriously outside of Hawaii, couldn't ever hope to get other musicians to play with them. Yeah, when Amanda Palmer or Eddie Vedder makes a ukulele album, I have a moment of "oh, look, the rock star is slumming", but then I get over it. Because Eddie Vedder making a uke album means the next generation of uke players won't be shunned just for being uke players. Taylor Swift playing a song on uke for a football stadium full of teens is 60,000 more people who may take a ukulele seriously next time, even if a handful of uke players want to whine because "she holds the uke too low." Just because there aren't that many of us ukulele players (yet) doesn't mean we get to be the gatekeepers and decide who gets to come in.

joeybug
07-17-2011, 02:21 PM
Just since I joined UU in March, I've learned I'm also not "a real uke players" to some members because

In that case I'm also not a "real Uke Player", oh well, don't really care what people think, I'm enjoying myself!

janeray1940
07-17-2011, 02:31 PM

And here all along I thought the beauty of the ukulele was that there *were* no rules.

Okay, I was taught not to use my thumb for fretting, but aside from that - I take lessons from two different instructors (who were guitarists first) and they both emphasize that there is rarely one correct way to do things when it comes to the ukulele.

Dan Uke
07-17-2011, 02:41 PM
Amen. I don't think I met another ukulele player for the first five years I played. The only reason I knew they existed was because my local music store carried uke strings. In the '80s and '90s, a lot of the uke players I met treated me like I wasn't "a real uke player" because I played rock songs instead of '20s Hawaiian and Tin Pan Alley songs. Just since I joined UU in March, I've learned I'm also not "a real uke players" to some members because

The fact is that a decent guitarist can pick up the uke pretty easily. I accept that. If I aspire to be a really good uke player, that just makes me the equivalent of a solid rhythm guitar player. That's okay. I do it anyway, because I'm a ukulele player. People can make up their own weird entrance requirements, so that in their own minds they can exclude the guitarists who come along. But I think we're better off with them.

I played for decades in the post-Tiny Tim wasteland, when he'd singlehandedly made such a laughingstock of the instrument that a ukulele player couldn't hope to be taken seriously outside of Hawaii, couldn't ever hope to get other musicians to play with them. Yeah, when Amanda Palmer or Eddie Vedder makes a ukulele album, I have a moment of "oh, look, the rock star is slumming", but then I get over it. Because Eddie Vedder making a uke album means the next generation of uke players won't be shunned just for being uke players. Taylor Swift playing a song on uke for a football stadium full of teens is 60,000 more people who may take a ukulele seriously next time, even if a handful of uke players want to whine because "she holds the uke too low." Just because there aren't that many of us ukulele players (yet) doesn't mean we get to be the gatekeepers and decide who gets to come in.

uke4ia....YOU have "street" cred...anyone who has played since 1976 and did not live in Hawaii should be commended. My wife is from Hawaii and even she says that the uke was there but not like everyone was playing when she went to high school in the 80s.

BTW, I love your Baker Street version!!

dustyroad
07-17-2011, 02:48 PM
Hi All
Im new to the forum and i have to admit it was dear Eddie that made me want to learn :)

Ive been a Pearl jam fan for years and i just adored Eddie Vedder's ukulele songs.
It sent me searching the internet and youtube looking at ukes and ultimately to buying one.
Ive also been looking into and listening to ukulele music ive never heard before and i just love it.

So thanks to Eddie i have a great new passion ~

didgeridoo2
07-17-2011, 03:04 PM
So thanks to Eddie i have a great new passion ~
And thanks to UU, you now have a scheduled personal hygiene routine!

brucemoffatt
07-17-2011, 03:26 PM
"he was put through seven trials and sat under a waterfall for forty days and forty nights in his underwear"

So now, at last, the secret is revealed. Ah well, if that's what it will take to make me a uke player, I guess I'm up for it...

Great thread, thanks.

Dougf
07-17-2011, 03:34 PM
If it weren't for the ukulele, I never would have heard of Eddie Vedder, so it kind of works both ways.

In some ways, I think this "Eddie Vedder's into ukulele" thing is a sign that the uke wave is still cresting. I mean, think what the reaction would have been if he'd released a mandolin album, or a banjo album. Ho hum.

olgoat52
07-17-2011, 03:42 PM
Time out! UE, you're already married. Remember her? Besides...you promised yourself to me...

Maybe the "Island" has different rules on that. He is a foreigner.. ;)

olgoat52
07-17-2011, 03:46 PM
Now can we get back on track with this "Shrine of the Silver Monkey" thing. Jeeez enough EV! ;)

Hippie Dribble
07-17-2011, 03:49 PM
This is a really interesting thread, so thanks austin for it.

The ukulele is for fans of Cliff Edwards and Eddie Vedder and everyone in between. It is a people's instrument that brings us together, not divides us.

As I just found out from another's post, Eddie Vedder has been playing the uke for twice as long as me. Thanks diego for the interview link, that was really interesting. Having not been a real fan of Pearl Jam, I wasn't interested in listening to Eddie Vedder's ukulele record, but now I think I will go and buy it. I watched his live performance on Letterman which was passionate and revealed a man who was a skillful player of the instrument, and from whom I could learn.

Not sure how we can profess to understand Eddie Vedder's inner thoughts, the 'vibe' you talk of could be your own attitude maybe. I agree totally with what haole said in his comments. My own suspicion is that Eddie Vedder loves the instrument as much as any of us do, and probably plays it better as well!!! The emails and questions and links that irritate are just more opportunities for us to share our genuine love of this instrument with others, so I am thankful for them. :)

itsme
07-17-2011, 04:26 PM
As I just found out from another's post, Eddie Vedder has been playing the uke for twice as long as me.
That is a good point. He's not just some "Johnny come lately" trying to cash in on the uke craze.

He's in a very popular rock band, and he wanted to do something personal and intimate, and recorded a solo album of just him and uke. He could have done it with a guitar, but the fact that he chose to use an uke makes me kinda like him better. Actually, I've never been a fan of him or PJ, but I respect what he's done, even if it doesn't really appeal to me.

Honestly, I can say there were a number of tunes on Jake's last album that I didn't much care for. His playing had nothing to do with it, I just didn't like the songs/arrangements.

savagehenry
07-17-2011, 04:44 PM
I was never a Pearl Jam fan, but I love the EV ukulele album. I streamed it on NPR a few times and by the third listen, was a huge fan. If you haven't heard it, give it a chance. So many people just play covers on the ukulele (not saying that there's anything wrong with that), it's just great to hear some original singer/songwriter songs written and played and on a ukulele.

sdmayo78
07-17-2011, 04:54 PM
Colmes - Yeah I get that with Train too. Everyone bangs on and wants to do the cover, I personally hate the song, it's bed wetting material. But I dislike more the people who look down at the uke and think it is a toy or not a "real" instrument.

First, I'll admit to being a Pearl Jam and Eddie Vedder fan so I'm not exactly unbiased. But as a fan and someone who saw a couple shows from EV's recent tour I've gotta say I don't get the impression he "looks down on" the ukulele. He seems to have a genuine love for the instrument. And (as others have pointed out) he's been playing since at least 1999 so it's not like this record is him saying "look what I can do with this toy I bought 5 minutes ago."

Of course he can't win, some want him to take the uke seriously, some want him not to take it seriously, what's a guy to do?! We're not all gonna like EV, we're not all gonna like Jake, but as a guitarist I don't like every "guitar" record either.

I am glad EV picked up the uke because it grabbed my attention and now I'm learning to play, and now.I've.been exposed to new (to me) music, like Mr. Shimabukuro and you fine people.

Now off to take my annual shower! :-D

grace and peace,
sam

hoosierhiver
07-17-2011, 05:07 PM
Ironically, I think this thread might have made a few pro-Vedder converts.

UncleElvis
07-17-2011, 05:09 PM

Meh... Tina's cuter.

SO cute, in fact, that I don't think my bride would mind.

(Please don't tell her, please don't tell her!)

whetu
07-17-2011, 05:09 PM
Sigh. I mean, I'm glad he did it, and I'm sure it's a nice album, but I am tired of getting links to his website from family, friends, and Facebook people I haven't seen in twelve years, who are all "ohmygodlookthisguyisfamousandplaystheukuleleandsod oyouandthere'snowayyou'veseenthisalreadysoI'msendi ngyoualink." My family and friends won't stop asking if I play Eddie Vedder songs, or if I play like Eddie Vedder, or if I like Eddie Vedder, or where can they learn to play like Eddie Vedder because they like Eddie Vedder. I am over Eddie Vedder. I'm over that I can't say I play the ukulele without the internet being all up in my grill with "WOAH, JUST LIKE EDDIE VEDDER." The gods did not give Eddie Vedder an ukulele made of gold after he was put through seven trials and sat under a waterfall for forty days and forty nights in his underwear, waiting for the full moon to reveal the secret password to him so he could open the Shrine of the Silver Monkey. I played the ukulele before Eddie Vedder, and I will play after it stops entertaining him and he goes back to his cool kid instruments. Surely I cannot be alone in this? Anybody? Anybody?

You misunderstood me entirely. I believe I shall sulk under the full moon until the password to the Shrine of the Silver Monkey is revealed to me. :D

Didn't read the thread, and don't tell my partner, but I love you so much right now. :D

I'm only half ancient, and more of a Clapton fan myself. And if he puts out a ukulele album.....the world is about to end.

Well, here's Clapton on the mandolin (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ol-tpdu7nrU), does that count? Or is it only the first sign of the apocalypse?

scottie
07-17-2011, 07:02 PM
Trying to hate success is something people go through. . . many art students feel compelled to hate Picasso for a while. For some it continues on into later life, intensifying as they increasingly fail to successfully commodify themselves such as to entertain a bourgeois lifestyle. Most get over it.

olgoat52
07-17-2011, 07:07 PM
First, I'll admit to being a Pearl Jam and Eddie Vedder fan so I'm not exactly unbiased. But as a fan and someone who saw a couple shows from EV's recent tour I've gotta say I don't get the impression he "looks down on" the ukulele. He seems to have a genuine love for the instrument. And (as others have pointed out) he's been playing since at least 1999 so it's not like this record is him saying "look what I can do with this toy I bought 5 minutes ago."

Of course he can't win, some want him to take the uke seriously, some want him not to take it seriously, what's a guy to do?! We're not all gonna like EV, we're not all gonna like Jake, but as a guitarist I don't like every "guitar" record either.

I am glad EV picked up the uke because it grabbed my attention and now I'm learning to play, and now.I've.been exposed to new (to me) music, like Mr. Shimabukuro and you fine people.

Now off to take my annual shower! :-D

grace and peace,
sam

Yeah the "LOok what I can do with this toy" prize probably goes to Taylor Swift. :p

olgoat52
07-17-2011, 07:10 PM
Ironically, I think this thread might have made a few pro-Vedder converts.

I heard some rumors that Mike was going to change it from UWC to "Vedder Fest" next year. He has Vedder posters all over Mainland Ukes shop. It is incredible!! ;)

haolejohn
07-17-2011, 07:19 PM
Aloha Tina,
If you asked me now if I know of any EV songs(can't even spell his name..Ha ha) ...I can't even name one.. sorry, EV fans.... ha ha
Doesn't mean I don't like his music, just haven't heard him yet..

you probably have Stan. back in the 90s. Pearl Jam was the band.

haolejohn
07-17-2011, 07:24 PM

I like this post. A lot. I got your back haole.

haolejohn
07-17-2011, 07:26 PM
Let's get one thing clear, before I'm actually lynched: nothing, no poem, story, fine arts piece, play, research paper, scientific textbook, or internet forum post that references the Shrine of the Silver Monkey should ever, ever be taken in earnest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBdLoYmUfTE

With that in mind, it was a tongue-in-cheek post meant to poke fun at current trends, the sentiment of one ukulele artist blanketing the entire instrument, and the jumping-onto of the ukulele bandwagon. I did not expect such a myriad of people to so angrily prove my point. Eddie Vedder, I concede. You are a god. I will make offerings of rams and sheep at the waxing moon, give my first-born to the brotherhood, and never, ever, say anything bad about Pearl Jam again. You have me at my word.

BURN HER!!!!!!

lcl

redheadedali
07-17-2011, 07:26 PM
FWIW, I've read some interviews w/ EV, and he seems very respectful of the uke and of Hawaiian culture in general.

I am a PJ fan from way back, and I really like the album. EV seems to be coming from a similar place as Amanda Palmer, which is that playing uke strips the music of pretense, really allowing the emotions behind it to shine through. Maybe it's not a traditional approach, but personally, I think that's OK. I have a huge amount of respect and admiration for Jake's skill, but he's not someone I'd choose to sit and listen to for extended periods, which I know is kind of a clutch-the-pearls-statement for some people here :). Variety is good. As others have said, there's room for all of us at the table.

mm stan
07-17-2011, 07:45 PM
you probably have Stan. back in the 90s. Pearl Jam was the band.
Aloha John,
You peaked my curiousity and I checked a few songs out....I think he is a very passionate uke player and good,
However I still never reconized any songs from him..maybe I just listened to some of his uke songs on You Tube..
I have to admit sadly, maybe I don't reconize the group Pearl Jam either...but maybe heard his songs..will look into it....
this video says he has a ukulele album with a ukulele songbook included with his songs...may need too look into that.
Mahalo, John... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2r1-PmNnDY

haolejohn
07-17-2011, 07:55 PM
Aloha John,
You peaked my curiousity and I checked a few songs out....I think he is a very passionate uke player and good,
However I still never reconized any songs from him..maybe I just listened to some of his uke songs on You Tube..
I have to admit sadly, maybe I don't reconize the group Pearl Jam either...but maybe heard his songs..will look into it....
this video says he has a ukulele album with a ukulele songbook included with his songs...may need too look into that.
Mahalo, John... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2r1-PmNnDY

maybe most popular PJ song. I preferred Nirvana to PJ but PJ wasn't bad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qM0zINtulhM

haolejohn
07-17-2011, 07:56 PM

Tina, you crack me up. I am just dreading the next..."OMG, Eddie Vedder made a Uke CD" thread. I think there was like 10 of them.

mm stan
07-17-2011, 08:05 PM
Aloha John,
Can't say I heard that song before...but it's pretty good....Gee I feel like an old geezer now and not to hip on today's music..shoots.. Mahalo Again, Stan

webby
07-17-2011, 08:18 PM
who is this eddy person, i've never heard of him

AetherBlue
07-17-2011, 08:50 PM
I commented on this album like a month ago.

"I haven't listened to Eddie Veddar's uke album yet but I wish he'd just have made another album that wasn't "ukulele themed" he can play more than one instrument.
I believe that It's not necessarily the instrument you play as much how you express yourself through it. "

I loved the Into The Wild soundtrack he did (Love everything about Into the Wild actually.) and some Pearl Jam songs are alright. But.. he is very talented multi-instrumentalist and coming out with pure ukulele album made it seem gimmicky to me.

musicmonsterw
07-17-2011, 08:50 PM
You guys do get that this was posted in jest, exaggerating a mild and momentary frustration with the inevitable, an I think this is something we ALL get, "Oh, you play ukulele? Do you know [insert whatever's big at the moment]?" and the wonderful, but mildly annoying "You play uke, I just saw this and you HAVE to see it" to hyperbolic levels.

UE, you know I love you and I love Tina. And, I understand this is in jest, and I appreciate the jest.

However, when you do jest in a public forum, some will interpret your remarks as having an edge of truth to it. That is to be expected. Also, some may be jesting back themselves. I'm quite happy this thread was started. I've had a rough day. One of my best friends turned on me today, unexpectedly. For some reason, this thread has cheered me up.

I am a music teacher. Every once in a while, I try to act like I'm a performer or a recording artist and hopefully get enough people to believe me. I am trying some Eddie Vedder ukulele songs and may possibly add them to the curriculum. I think 'Can't Keep' makes an excellent study in rhythm.

In fact, I find EV quite encouraging. I might put out a CD of ukulele songs. Why not?

vetcvm
07-17-2011, 09:37 PM
I'm pretty new to this forum, and i also came to know the ukulele through EV.
i'v been a big fan of Pearl Jam (early days) and bands like these where the reason
i began to play the guitar in the early 90'. i stopped listening to Pearl Jam after the
Second Album and rediscovered EV with "into the wild" a few years back, and it
became my favorite album of the 2000'.

Then i heard "longing to belong" on the local radio and i liked it right away, the radio
commentator explained that this was a song released from a new album by EV wich was
entirely recorded with "Ukulele", this was the first time i ever heard this word (ukulele is
not a popular instrument in Israel, you can't find it in music shops), and from there began
my new journey with the Ukulele.

since then i discovered many new songs from different times played on the ukulele and i am
discovering new songs every day. i also discovered this wonderful and helpful community which
made me feel at home from day one.

I think what i'm trying to say is you may like EV's uke album or you may not, this is a matter of
personal musical taste, but i don't think it's fair to criticise it as it has so much positive impact
on how many people view the Uke after getting exposed to it. i don't think many people would go
and buy a Uke after hearing "hey, soul sister" as many might after hearing "Ukulele songs" by ED.

Pippin
07-17-2011, 09:44 PM
I'll be the first to admit that Ed Vedder is what made me interested in the Ukulele. If he didn't put out the album I wouldn't have called Mainland Ukes and put in an order. Different strokes for different folks.

Welcome to ukulele underground and the world of ukulele, in general. We are glad to have you with us.

Pippin
07-17-2011, 09:49 PM

I used to get comments about "Tiny Tim" and "Tip-toe Through the Tulips", which I absolutely refuse to play... never liked the song even before "Tiny" played it and YES, I have been around that long... and played ukulele that long.

Pippin
07-17-2011, 09:54 PM

That's some of the worst photoshop work I have ever seen... but funny.

Pippin
07-17-2011, 10:00 PM
The emails and questions and links that irritate are just more opportunities for us to share our genuine love of this instrument with others, so I am thankful for them. :)

Good perspective on this.

Pippin
07-17-2011, 10:05 PM
Aloha John,
Can't say I heard that song before...but it's pretty good....Gee I feel like an old geezer now and not to hip on today's music..shoots.. Mahalo Again, Stan

You're in good company. :D

Manalishi
07-17-2011, 11:16 PM
Heard it,didn't like it.End of story....

Uke Whisperer
07-17-2011, 11:40 PM
Yeah the "LOok what I can do with this toy" prize probably goes to Taylor Swift. :p

I agree with above Quote.

I have EV CD. I enjoy listening to the music, but his voice, not so much. Of course I love to listen to all (ok, almost all) Uke played music.

Lanark
07-18-2011, 03:43 AM
I'm not going to begrudge Mr. Vedder his album and don't doubt his commitment to the instrument, but I will simply note that the album is Ok. (It certainly didn't rock my world but I'm not hating on it.) and though he's been playing for over a decade apparently, I'm a much better player than he is in a third of the time invested.

(I'll also note that while I understand he's got a family to feed and all and I would have liked to support his ukulele based endeavors, but seriously, $80 for a ticket to a solo performance is kind of ridiculously steep. It's not as if he's got a huge crew and several trucks of gear to lug around the country. A couple of ukes, a sound guy and somebody to run the spotlight. It can't be that much overhead. And especially from a guy who made such a big stink about Ticketmaster fees way back when...)

deadpool
07-18-2011, 05:41 AM
I wondered what all the hoopla was about. I like Eddie Vedder. Being from Seattle, I guess you are obligated to-lol. I finally purchased this CD last Friday. It's OK - I've only been playing a few weeks, but recognized some of the strum patterns as those I have learned so I figured he is no expert on the instrument (I'm probably wrong about that as I am most musical things). I thought the CD was so so-not a big fan of all introspective music. I enjoyed the two standards at the end of it. I don't see it having a huge influence - long term - on the popularity of the uke. Just like Levon Helm hasn't had a huge influence on the popularity of the mandolin (his second instrument - and a favorite in his resurged career.) Just an old guy's $.02.

Ron98GT
07-18-2011, 06:06 AM

Yeah! Could be a good thing. I started playing guitar in the early 60's because of the Ventures (who?) and I'm stilling playing today. Even added ukulele, because of the guitar, because of the Ventures. They may start with Eddie Vedder & Pearl Jam songs, but then they learn more songs and more about music, which is a good thing. Go Eddie!

- Ron

Dan Uke
07-18-2011, 06:08 AM
I'm not going to begrudge Mr. Vedder his album and don't doubt his commitment to the instrument, but I will simply note that the album is Ok. (It certainly didn't rock my world but I'm not hating on it.) and though he's been playing for over a decade apparently, I'm a much better player than he is in a third of the time invested.

(I'll also note that while I understand he's got a family to feed and all and I would have liked to support his ukulele based endeavors, but seriously, $80 for a ticket to a solo performance is kind of ridiculously steep. It's not as if he's got a huge crew and several trucks of gear to lug around the country. A couple of ukes, a sound guy and somebody to run the spotlight. It can't be that much overhead. And especially from a guy who made such a big stink about Ticketmaster fees way back when...)

I'm sure he's not playing the songs to show what "tricks" he can do but writing music that came from the heart. We really don't know his skills...It's like Jimi Hendrix's Star Spangled Banner...He kept it so simple which was genius.

As for ticket costs...It's F***in Eddie Vedder!!! I don't think he has a problem selling out.

Dan Uke
07-18-2011, 06:10 AM
Yeah! Could be a good thing. I started playing guitar in the early 60's because of the Ventures (who?) and I'm stilling playing today. Even added ukulele, because of the guitar, because of the Ventures. They may start with Eddie Vedder & Pearl Jam songs, but then they learn more songs and more about music, which is a good thing. Go Eddie!

- Ron

Ron - Nice guitar collection...I don't know about the uke. lol

PoiDog
07-18-2011, 06:33 AM

Wow. I mean, I get your frustration, but ... wow.

austin1
07-18-2011, 08:29 AM
Wow. I mean, I get your frustration, but ... wow.

Well, if you insist on skipping the part where I said I was joking, I'd like to ask that you nail me to one of the crosses on the Via Appia, it really is a beautiful place in the summertime.

PedalFreak
07-18-2011, 08:36 AM
Just gotta let it go, it's ok :) If you don't like it, that's cool. If people ask you about it, if you don't like it why not say something like "Yes I've heard it. Have you heard this ukulele album (insert uke album)??" Turn it around, don't take things too serious, seriously :)

Also for people that like to make fun of Eddie, remember that he has been playing uke longer than a lot of people here (at least 15 years from what I've heard). So he wrote an album on an instrument that he loves. Music is suppose to be fun, don't take it so seriously and you'll have even more fun with it :)

Ok, I'm done :D

PoiDog
07-18-2011, 08:37 AM
Well, if you insist on skipping the part where I said I was joking, I'd like to ask that you nail me to one of the crosses on the Appian Way, it really is a beautiful place in the summertime.

Not to get into a pissing contest, but I think if your acknowledgment of being tongue-in-cheek wasn't quite as snarky as it was, I'd have taken your statement a bit more seriously.

And I promise not to nail you to a cross. Maybe just strap you to one using a leather thong. You know, give you a fighting chance and all.

pulelehua
07-18-2011, 08:39 AM
I am Spartacus.

austin1
07-18-2011, 08:44 AM
And I promise not to nail you to a cross. Maybe just strap you to one using a leather thong. You know, give you a fighting chance and all.

HA! Deal. As long as Eddie Vedder isn't playing in the background. :D

DeVineGuitars
07-18-2011, 08:48 AM
Wow, is this full moon making everyone crazy? I would never have thought I would see such a heated thread on UU.
How could anyone be upset with anyone else for playing the uke? ...regardless of how popular they are.
Do your own thing, stop worrying about everyone else and most of all... Don't be a hater.

hobblecreek
07-18-2011, 09:04 AM
Itís truly interesting that someone can post a simple vent and then be so castigated for expressing some thoughts about how all of the hype continues to expand. I (for one) can appreciate what I think is the real intent of austin1ís post Ė but my experience has been a little different.

I went and bought EVís cd when it came out (around May 23rd if I remember correctly), and I quite like it. Then on Fatherís Day my kids had each separately purchased the EV cd as a Fatherís day present for me (obviously unaware that Iíd already acquired it.) Not sure I needed 5 copies of the same cd, so I re-gifted back to each of them their cd present. We all play the uke and their thoughtfulness in wanting to give me something Iíd really like ended up being very humorous for us as a family (and certainly helped increase the reported number of EV cd sales!)

I havenít seen anyone mention Alice in Chains in any of these threads, so maybe Iíll just go and lean to play Rooster. Now, thatís a great Seattle, grunge song.

unluckymum
07-18-2011, 09:23 AM
well that was entertaining !! Have not had the EV comment yet, in England people are still saying 'have you heard the UOGB ?'
I have started to say no just to confuse the conversation cos I swear I have had the same one a million times now. We had a mandolin player come to the jam the other night and play some Eddy Veddar, and I was mightily impressed. As I was by AnnaUK's version of 'Longing to Belong'. :)

ukeabuser
07-18-2011, 09:25 AM
I find myself both having a crush on the OP (check out her uke vids!), and being an EV fan. Ain't life grand!

downtoearthed
07-18-2011, 09:25 AM
Hmmm...I can see the frustration with receiving so many comments about one player (particularly if you don't care for that music.) I personally like EV's new cd, but can see how not everyone would like it. I think it really comes back to that everyone has different tastes. I have not gotten frustrated yet with people asking me if I have ever heard that somewhere over the rainbow song, but maybe I will some day. Anyway, let's all get off this thread and go play. Happy strumming!

Kauai808
07-18-2011, 09:28 AM
Wow, is this full moon making everyone crazy? I would never have thought I would see such a heated thread on UU.
How could anyone be upset with anyone else for playing the uke? ...regardless of how popular they are.
Do your own thing, stop worrying about everyone else and most of all... Don't be a hater.

I agree. This board is sounding a little elitist. I don't have EV new CD but I assure you he can probably play his uke a lot better then just the 12 or songs on his CD. Taylor Swift plays a uke, she gets bashed, Vedder plays a uke, he gets bashed. Since when did uke players start putting their noses up. Just because nobody wants to pay $15K for your uke doesn't mean we need to bash the guy. Sheesh....I mean did anyone think to bash Jake when he was running his uke through pedals and effects when he was getting his name out?

didgeridoo2
07-18-2011, 09:36 AM
Sheesh....I mean did anyone think to bash Jake when he was running his uke through pedals and effects when he was getting his name out?

He did what???!!! (squawks like a chicken.)

Hippie Dribble
07-18-2011, 09:39 AM
wow...I wonder how many views and posts this thread will end up with. Every time I hook on there's another dozen on at the same time. I needs to get me another bag of popcorn.

my honest feeling is that the original post, though professing to be in jest, and tongue in cheek, just didn't come across like that. I have read it and reread it numerous times and I don't see the humour in it myself. Herein lies the rub and the seeds of discontent. Mind you, I am Tasmanian and a dreadfully serious insect... :)

Go Eddie. Shucks, the longer this thread goes the more I like him. Wasn't even contemplating buying the record until I started spending way too much time here. :p

Eugenie!!! More popcorn please dearie!!!

wconley
07-18-2011, 09:40 AM
I stopped reading individual posts on this many pages ago (reminds me of jealous rants on photography forums) and have to say that I'm not a Pearl Jam fan although I do like a few of their songs. However, I will forever give a nod to Pearl Jam, Vedder and the other band members for nothing more than spitting into the wind of Ticketmaster several years ago and refusing to use them for their concerts. This shut them out of many venues that had exclusive contracts with Ticketmaster and I'm sure cost them dearly in revenue. Don't get me started on a Ticketmaster rant!

It took me awhile to buy the Vedder CD and while it's not ground breaking, it's pleasant enough to listen to. I'm now sad I didn't buy tickets to his concert here in Seattle as it offered a way to have a more intimate concert with an artist. I've heard nothing but good reviews. I guess I look at it as one more opportunity to hear any one of a million people who can play the Ukulele better than me. I'm equally, if not more upset that I've also missed Jake and James Hill play in the past.

austin1
07-18-2011, 09:40 AM
I agree. This board is sounding a little elitist. I don't have EV new CD but I assure you he can probably play his uke a lot better then just the 12 or songs on his CD. Taylor Swift plays a uke, she gets bashed, Vedder plays a uke, he gets bashed. Since when did uke players start putting their noses up. Just because nobody wants to pay $15K for your uke doesn't mean we need to bash the guy. Sheesh....I mean did anyone think to bash Jake when he was running his uke through pedals and effects when he was getting his name out?

Woah. Woah woah woah. Slow down there, crazies. I never bashed Eddie Vedder. Let me quote my original post, for clarity:

I never bashed Eddie Vedder. In fact, I never even said anything remotely bad about Eddie Vedder. I may have poked fun at Pearl Jam and 90's television, but never did I say anything to the effect of, "I'm going to bash Eddie Vedder because I don't like his hair/guitar strap/personal taste in pet dogs." I made fun and snarky about the complete overexposure of the album, and lamented that I keep getting emailed the same review of it. I did not bash Eddie Vedder. Shall I say it backwards? Vedder Eddie bash did not I. In German? Ich habe gar nichts Łber Eddie Vedder gesagt. In Portuguese? Eu n„o disse isso. I'm out of languages. The point is, I never bashed Eddie Vedder. Just the overexposure.

And for the (next) record, I never brought up Taylor Swift. Actually, I bought my sister tickets to see Taylor Swift for her birthday, after which she promptly sent me an email praising me for playing the ukulele, which Taylor Swift also does.

UncleElvis
07-18-2011, 09:45 AM
Wait... I'm not getting it.

Did you or did you not bash Eddie Vedder?

diego
07-18-2011, 09:50 AM
Wait... I'm not getting it.

Did you or did you not bash Eddie Vedder?

Anti Vedder Movement as thread name is borderline bashing haha. Seriously that first song on the album is pretty good, listening to it right now.

pulelehua
07-18-2011, 09:53 AM
What I'm getting really tired of is Cee Lo Green covers played on ukulele and flute...

;)

diego
07-18-2011, 09:56 AM
What I'm getting really tired of is Cee Lo Green covers played on ukulele and flute...

;)

boomm that was below belt :) . I actually wanted to pick up the flute after watching that

austin1
07-18-2011, 09:59 AM

;)

I know, right? We should start a club or something.

UncleElvis
07-18-2011, 10:07 AM
Oy...

I give up.

She's explained herself ad nauseum as to what she meant, but I guess those words that were written were easily ignored.

I don't understand why should couldn't just come out and say what she meant...

Oh, wait. She did. She said EXACTLY what she meant.

Are the misunderstandings intentional, or just laziness and not reading?
Seriously.

pulelehua
07-18-2011, 10:07 AM
I know, right? We should start a club or something.

Anti-former-internet-sensation-turned-anti-establishment-yet-mainstream-pseudo-soul-revivalist-with-potty-mouth-covers-by-white-girls-who-speak-slightly-too-many-languages-slighty-too-well.

AFISTAEYMPSRWPMCBWGWSSTMLSTW... for short.

I'll get a Facebook page started tout de suite!

pulelehua
07-18-2011, 10:09 AM
Just goes to show:

"Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb."

austin1
07-18-2011, 10:14 AM
Anti-former-internet-sensation-turned-anti-establishment-yet-mainstream-pseudo-soul-revivalist-with-potty-mouth-covers-by-white-girls-who-speak-slightly-too-many-languages-slighty-too-well.

AFISTAEYMPSRWPMCBWGWSSTMLSTW... for short.

This, exactly. High fives all around!

UKISOCIETY
07-18-2011, 10:16 AM
Woah. Woah woah woah. Slow down there, crazies. I never bashed Eddie Vedder. Let me quote my original post, for clarity:

I never bashed Eddie Vedder. In fact, I never even said anything remotely bad about Eddie Vedder. I may have poked fun at Pearl Jam and 90's television, but never did I say anything to the effect of, "I'm going to bash Eddie Vedder because I don't like his hair/guitar strap/personal taste in pet dogs." I made fun and snarky about the complete overexposure of the album, and lamented that I keep getting emailed the same review of it. I did not bash Eddie Vedder. Shall I say it backwards? Vedder Eddie bash did not I. In German? Ich habe gar nichts Łber Eddie Vedder gesagt. In Portuguese? Eu n„o disse isso. I'm out of languages. The point is, I never bashed Eddie Vedder. Just the overexposure.

And for the (next) record, I never brought up Taylor Swift. Actually, I bought my sister tickets to see Taylor Swift for her birthday, after which she promptly sent me an email praising me for playing the ukulele, which Taylor Swift also does.

Stop bashing Taylor Swift!!! LEAVE TAYLOR ALOOOOOONE!!!!!"

http://media.focus.com/images/uploaded/generic/meme-chris-crocker/chris-crocker.JPG
/just adding to the confusion :)

UKISOCIETY
07-18-2011, 10:20 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1367EcsJ7g

Dan Uke
07-18-2011, 10:21 AM
Joke or not Anti- Eddie Vedder Title can be mis-interpretted. I find this very amusing as I would think Anti-Justin Beiber Baby would have gotten more people agreeing!! However, my daughter does a cute robot to that song. lol

UncleElvis
07-18-2011, 10:25 AM
Joke or not Anti- Eddie Vedder Title can be mis-interpretted. I find this very amusing as I would think Anti-Justin Beiber Baby would have gotten more people agreeing!! Hated your version and every other version of that song but not hating you. However, my daughter does a cute robot to that song. lol

How can it be misinterpreted after it's been explained?
Surely once it's been laid out, any misinterpretation goes away, no?

Rzr
07-18-2011, 10:28 AM
Cut the pickle.

Rzr
07-18-2011, 10:28 AM
Cut the pickle.

Tickle Tickle.

Rzr
07-18-2011, 10:29 AM
Cut the pickle.

Tickle Tickle.

My work here is done.

pulelehua
07-18-2011, 10:34 AM
(Suddenly wondering if I should have renamed "The Ukulele Etudes", "I Hate Eddie Vedder with the Red Hot Passion of a Thousand Suns")

I'd be getting more sales, for sure...

;)

Of course, then I'd have the moral quandary that I like Eddie Vedder. And "I Like Eddie Vedder" threads just come and go...

hobblecreek
07-18-2011, 10:45 AM
Have to admit Ė this has been one of the most interesting (and fun to read) threads in quite a while.

Now, if Jeff Ament, Stone Gossard, or Mike McCready choose to issue a ukulele cd . . . .

Ukuleleblues
07-18-2011, 10:47 AM
That's some of the worst photoshop work I have ever seen... but funny.I only have MS Paint....Crude, kind of like one step above stick figures.

Dan Uke
07-18-2011, 10:57 AM
How can it be misinterpreted after it's been explained?
Surely once it's been laid out, any misinterpretation goes away, no?

Explained or backtracking?? I believe it's like all those quotes that athletes give and then it's damage control. Just kidding...this is a fun thread

Ukuleleblues
07-18-2011, 11:04 AM
I heard Eddie Vetter plays all the songs on the CD via "Muscle Memory"

diego
07-18-2011, 11:07 AM
Mayday mayday

I'm having quite the fun with this thread myself

UncleElvis
07-18-2011, 11:09 AM
Explained or backtracking?? I believe it's like all those quotes that athletes give and then it's damage control. Just kidding...this is a fun thread

Actually, saying "Just kidding" after ostensibly calling the OP a liar is backtracking.

Rzr
07-18-2011, 11:10 AM
http://www.roundeyesupply.com/v/vspfiles/photos/DE458496-2T.jpg

sukie
07-18-2011, 11:22 AM
Heard it,didn't like it.End of story....

The more I listen, the more I like.

But I sure do understand Tina's post.

sukie
07-18-2011, 11:23 AM
I
As for ticket costs...It's F***in Eddie Vedder!!! I don't think he has a problem selling out.

No kidding. I wanted to get tickets and they sold out in 2 days. Even at $79 each.

sukie
07-18-2011, 11:25 AM
Not to get into a pissing contest, but I think if your acknowledgment of being tongue-in-cheek wasn't quite as snarky as it was, I'd have taken your statement a bit more seriously.

Leather UKE thong? Just askin'.....

Do NOT hurt Tina.

Dan Uke
07-18-2011, 12:00 PM
Actually, saying "Just kidding" after ostensibly calling the OP a liar is backtracking.

I didn't call her a liar but it's the saying "There's a little truth in every joke" Anyways, I apologize to the OP, Uncleelvis, and anyone else who is taking offense but once you post a comment in today's media, there will be reactions....It's like a tweet, even if you delete or clarify, people react to it.

I said I don't like Justin Beiber's "Baby" but I never said I don't like people who try to post or play the song. Two totally seperate topics.

GrumpyCoyote
07-18-2011, 12:26 PM
Hey now! I was hating on Vedder (http://ukecrazybitches.blogspot.com/2011/06/dear-mr-vedder.html)before hating on Vedder was cool...

And for those of you "get over it" types... before you burn Tina at the stake or accuse my opinion of being elitist, petty, juvenile and jealous (it is – get over it), ponder this:

I feel like Eddie exploited the uke to gain some musical relevance. He didn’t need to, but he did it anyway. It’s not really jealousy. I compare it to someone coming along and pimping out my little sister. Sure, she gets more attention now, but I’d prefer if it wasn’t done this like this.

It disgusts me and I’m unapologetic about that. If my disgust offends you, I’m happy to clarify, and in vivid detail, why my personal opinion is what it is. PM away.

OldePhart
07-18-2011, 12:42 PM
Heh, heh. As someone who wouldn't know Eddie Vedder if he tripped over him in the street I just have to wonder - how many EV CDs has this thread sold? LOL

The cool part is it's been pretty entertaining to read this thread even if I neither know nor care about Eddie Vedder.

The really cool part is that it's remained pretty civil - I know a lot of boards that would have descended to foul-mouthed name calling and death-threats by now! I guess that alone makes ukulele pretty special no matter who is playing it. :)

France
07-18-2011, 12:54 PM
I heard Eddie Vetter plays all the songs on the CD via "Muscle Memory"

:biglaugh:

Gee I hope you haven't started something crazy here.

I think there needs to be a sarcasm icon that we can insert just so people don't get upset. It's just a bit of harmless celebrity hating fun. They're not real people anyway.

didgeridoo2
07-18-2011, 12:59 PM
"I feel like Eddie exploited the uke to gain some musical relevance. He didnít need to, but he did it anyway."

Of course everyone is entitled to an opinion, but isn't this a big reason a lot of us are here? I'm not an EV fan, just a casual listener for the past 20 years he's been around, and I'm not sure if I understand why he lost relevance. It seems he's been selling out pretty regularly and he would continue to do so whether he was playing uke or any other instrument. The real strength with him as an artist is his songwriting and his voice, right? The uke is a great tool for songwriters. You have a whole website and forum dedicated to songwriters, grump, and a ton of them are uke players. Is he exploiting the uke and taking advantage of the new popularity? Maybe, but he seems sincere and if he has any passion for playing the uke, then why not make a buck? At least he's playing mostly his music on the uke. He's touring with Glen Hansard (sp? You know the guy from "Once"), and now GH has a uke. It'll be interesting to see if he does something with it.

jlester2200
07-18-2011, 01:15 PM
since there's no sarcasm icon yet, i've met ed. shook his hand. talked some uke. ed is as real as you and me.

yes he charges 80 dollars for concert ticket - worth every damn penny. if you have not seen him live, you simply do not know.

he did not exploit the uke to further his anything - how much further has he to go? he has a loving relationship with this instrument, same as you and i. like he said in "water one the road", 'anyone who has one of these knows, they make for a very good friend.'

the songs he wrote for this project were written over 10 years ago, at a time when he was getting a divorce, and when he was having tremendous difficulty getting over a tragic accident where 9 people were trampled at a music festival while his band was playing.

i found the original post void of humor. anyone asks me "can you play like so and so?" it does not piss me off.
i just say "i can only play like me"

Ukuleleblues
07-18-2011, 01:27 PM
Hey now! I was hating on Vedder (http://ukecrazybitches.blogspot.com/2011/06/dear-mr-vedder.html)before hating on Vedder was cool...

Now thats Cool!!!

jlester2200
07-18-2011, 01:53 PM
no. not really that cool. rather, pretty petty and bitchy. also rude, and quite insulting.

my mom alwats said that if you had nothing nice to say about someone, please say nothing at all.

tiempo perdido. hasta luego

austin1
07-18-2011, 02:02 PM
no. not really that cool. rather, pretty petty and bitchy. also rude, and quite insulting.

my mom alwats said that if you had nothing nice to say about someone, please say nothing at all.

tiempo perdido. hasta luego

...For as personally as you're taking the opinion that Eddie Vedder is overexposed, I hope he sends you a really nice greeting card. :D

mketom
07-18-2011, 02:40 PM
Come on, somebody kill this thread before it becomes a disease!!!
The 'uke is a happy instrument, meant to bring happiness, not hate.
Ok? Thanks for listening. Aloha!

UncleElvis
07-18-2011, 02:51 PM
Come on, somebody kill this thread before it becomes a disease!!!
The 'uke is a happy instrument, meant to bring happiness, not hate.
Ok? Thanks for listening. Aloha!

Exactly. This.

Wow.

Rzr
07-18-2011, 03:06 PM
http://rlv.zcache.com/cut_the_pickle_t_shirt-p235776377442499382trdy_152.jpg

thejumpingflea
07-18-2011, 03:07 PM
This thread really irks me.

We all play the instrument here. Who cares the reason to play as long as music is being played and joy is being made?

uke4ia
07-18-2011, 03:20 PM

We all play the instrument here. Who cares the reason to play as long as music is being played and joy is being made?
A lot of people seem to. That's why the thread has gone on this long. There's a fraction of the community that feels personal authority over the instrument, and that they get to decide who's worthy of being considered ukulele players. So it's worth airing the subject out. As oldphart said, it's been kept pretty civil, and reasonably interesting to read.

itsme
07-18-2011, 03:23 PM

Yeah, it's starting to get my goat, too. We even have a moderator hating on EV.

Could someone just lock this thread and let it die, please?

salukulady
07-18-2011, 03:45 PM
Cut the pickle.

http://www.roundeyesupply.com/v/vspfiles/photos/DE458496-2T.jpg

http://rlv.zcache.com/cut_the_pickle_t_shirt-p235776377442499382trdy_152.jpgPickles disgust me.

CoLmes
07-18-2011, 03:46 PM
Pickles disgust me.

Disgust disgusts me.

Faricelli
07-18-2011, 03:49 PM
This disgusts me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0Mi7atohg8

GrumpyCoyote
07-18-2011, 04:35 PM
Yeah, it's starting to get my goat, too. We even have a moderator hating on EV.

Could someone just lock this thread and let it die, please?

It's been civil and respectful for the most part - if rules are violated or the OP would like it locked, I'm happy to do so. "I don't like the topic" from a few folks isn't typicaly the reason to lock a thread. If it's not to your liking, there are plenty of others.

I'll happliy give myself a warning on your behalf though for being "slightly snarky". ;)

GrumpyCoyote
07-18-2011, 04:53 PM

Some folks view what Mr. Vedder has done as the opposite of spreading joy. It's not hard to understand. I like Itallian food, but Olive Garden (tm) makes me want to punch kittens. Same thing here. Sure you could say "it's all food", and "I like Olive Garden" (OMG, I can't belive I just typed that... blargh) - but that doesn't change what that souless imitation of real Italian food is.

I see corporate exploitation without regard for the effects of over exposure, local talent, or those who blazed the path. Again, it's my opinion - just because I think it's a souless money-grab does not mean I judge those who do not see it my way. Art, music, food - all subjective. Sometimes folks are going to hate what you like - and sometimes they are going to want to talk about it. It's a damn good thing too - or we'd all be eating overcooked pasta with fake itallian-like sauces on them.

olgoat52
07-18-2011, 05:00 PM
Stop bashing Taylor Swift!!! LEAVE TAYLOR ALOOOOOONE!!!!!"

http://media.focus.com/images/uploaded/generic/meme-chris-crocker/chris-crocker.JPG
/just adding to the confusion :)

ROFLMAO! I think I might have been the one to drag Taylor Swift into this. ;) Tina (Austin1) is an absolute sweety with a quirky sense of humor. I have only been around a year but I know that much. Great thread to get the newbies up to speed! I see we even pulled some poho's out of their little sanctuary. Well done!

olgoat52
07-18-2011, 05:10 PM
Some folks view what Mr. Vedder has done as the opposite of spreading joy. It's not hard to understand. I like Itallian food, but Olive Garden (tm) makes me want to punch kittens. Same thing here. Sure you could say "it's all food", and "I like Olive Garden" (OMG, I can't belive I just typed that... blargh) - but that doesn't change what that souless imitation of real Italian food is.

I see corporate exploitation without regard for the effects of over exposure, local talent, or those who blazed the path. Again, it's my opinion - just because I think it's a souless money-grab does not mean I judge those who do not see it my way. Art, music, food - all subjective. Sometimes folks are going to hate what you like - and sometimes they are going to want to talk about it. It's a damn good thing too - or we'd all be eating overcooked pasta with fake itallian-like sauces on them.

OMG!! Now we have an Olive Garden bashing thread? I Love Olive Garden! The only true Italian food out there! ;)

haolejohn
07-18-2011, 05:18 PM
(Suddenly wondering if I should have renamed "The Ukulele Etudes", "I Hate Eddie Vedder with the Red Hot Passion of a Thousand Suns")

I'd be getting more sales, for sure...

;)

Of course, then I'd have the moral quandary that I like Eddie Vedder. And "I Like Eddie Vedder" threads just come and go...

like a thousand times.

haolejohn
07-18-2011, 05:20 PM

maybe but if people knew the OP, then there would be no need for back tracking. It is like the time I made a bambpoo forest joke. yeah, I got bashed by someone with no sense of humor.

hoosierhiver
07-18-2011, 05:30 PM
Some of you folks are way too upset about this...on both sides of the fence.

diego
07-18-2011, 05:31 PM
I haven't been that active lately, but man this is a heated discussion and a great thread.

We were all new to the instrument at any point in time, and unless we have some 100 year old people on the board, so some people in the 1940's may have said, at some point: You see these new kids playing Ukulele nowadays? I was there before them, they desecrated my instrument. The convoluted point I'm trying to make is that somewhere we have to get to know the instrument. If I have true taste I will look further than the mass produced stuff and see the real musicians playing it. Not that Vedder isn't real, just saying..

haolejohn
07-18-2011, 05:33 PM
Some of you folks are way too upset about this...on both sides of the fence.

It can be quite humorous.

guitarman
07-18-2011, 05:41 PM
I think most of the negative comments on EV are coming from the "general public's" misunderstanding on who, what and how the ukulele should be played. This can definitely irritate people who are passionate about the instrument. IMO if EV can inspire someone to pick up the uke and do something new, then he has done something good. Personally, "uke songs" is not one of my favorite uke albums but pretense aside, i applaud EV for being innovative and taking his artistry to a different level.

haolejohn
07-18-2011, 06:10 PM
I think most of the negative comments on EV are coming from the "general public's" misunderstanding on who, what and how the ukulele should be played. This can definitely irritate people who are passionate about the instrument. IMO if EV can inspire someone to pick up the uke and do something new, then he has done something good. Personally, "uke songs" is not one of my favorite uke albums but pretense aside, i applaud EV for being innovative and taking his artistry to a different level.
If he had made a kazoo album, people would pick up the kazoo.

mm stan
07-18-2011, 06:11 PM
Everyone assumes Eddie Vedder(there I got it right thanks to this posting)uses the uke for self gain, do we really know??? You've got to think he has a personal passion for it if he's sticking with
it for so long.. and who are we all to judge him... how about all the Guitar wannabees who wanted to be popular....and I mean the big names in music too... have we forgotten about them too...
how about George and Paul...they played ukes on stage and many other mainstream musicians in the last generation...why single out EV??

sonicbaker
07-18-2011, 06:19 PM
Thread is kind of amusing....Eddie Vedder has sold 60 million albums worldwide in his career, sans uke. I don't think he needs to worry about jumping on a uke-bandwagon to keep his career afloat. He obviously digs the instrument. A good friend of mine just saw him in Oakland and really enjoyed the show...he played ukes and guitars, used looping effects...did his thing. Not sure if my friend will ever pick up a uke because of it, but he said he certainly views the instrument differently now (in a positive way.)

GrumpyCoyote
07-18-2011, 07:03 PM
Everyone assumes Eddie Vedder(there I got it right thanks to this posting)uses the uke for self gain, do we really know??? You've got to think he has a personal passion for it if he's sticking with
it for so long.. and who are we all to judge him... how about all the Guitar wannabees who wanted to be popular....and I mean the big names in music too... have we forgotten about them too...
how about George and Paul...they played ukes on stage and many other mainstream musicians in the last generation...why single out EV??

Remind me again, what was the name of the album?

Honestly, if he had called it anything else, I would have no problem with it. If he had a couple of guitar, or mando tracks on there, again - no issue.

Personally, I like the way he plays the uke. The style "purists" are silly in my opinion.

For me, it's all about the overexposure and obvious exploitation. The content makes no difference... It's the package that nauseates me.

Dan Uke
07-18-2011, 07:49 PM
I can't wait until U2 and Bon Jovi plays ukes. Talk about exposure as they were the highest generativing revenue bands!!!

I bet "Where the Streets have no Name" would sound awesome on an uke!!

mm stan
07-18-2011, 08:01 PM

Honestly, if he had called it anything else, I would have no problem with it. If he had a couple of guitar, or mando tracks on there, again - no issue.

Personally, I like the way he plays the uke. The style "purists" are silly in my opinion.

For me, it's all about the overexposure and obvious exploitation. The content makes no difference... It's the package that nauseates me.
I admit I am no fan of PJ or EV....you may a valid point there, however
can we blame the guy for and over zealous marketing team or the record company that repesents him.. sometimes with agreements in recording contracts there is a thing with compliance with big financial incentives... can you blame the guy for giving in:)

Dougf
07-18-2011, 08:02 PM
I can't wait until U2 and Bon Jovi plays ukes. Talk about exposure as they were the highest generativing revenue bands!!!

Yeah!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5pLRvxws6M

sdmayo78
07-18-2011, 08:08 PM

Really?! :-/

That's the funniest post in 17 pages. I get that some like it, some don't. Some haven't heard about the record, some are sick of hearing about the record. But I had no idea the packaging could bother someone so much! Passion takes on many shapes and sizes.

grace and peace,
sam

sdmayo78
07-18-2011, 08:12 PM
Thread is kind of amusing....Eddie Vedder has sold 60 million albums worldwide in his career, sans uke. I don't think he needs to worry about jumping on a uke-bandwagon to keep his career afloat. He obviously digs the instrument. A good friend of mine just saw him in Oakland and really enjoyed the show...he played ukes and guitars, used looping effects...did his thing. Not sure if my friend will ever pick up a uke because of it, but he said he certainly views the instrument differently now (in a positive way.)

:-)

grace and peace,
sam

austin1
07-18-2011, 08:17 PM
Yeah!

blast, you beat me to it! I love that video like woah!

didgeridoo2
07-18-2011, 08:18 PM
The style "purists" are silly in my opinion.

Right on. I agree with you here. Not so much on the other stuff. I mean I get it, but why care so much if you enjoy his playing?

Oh, and good job leaving this thread open. Discussion is interesting as long as it's civil.

GrumpyCoyote
07-18-2011, 09:41 PM
Right on. I agree with you here. Not so much on the other stuff. I mean I get it, but why care so much if you enjoy his playing?

Oh, and good job leaving this thread open. Discussion is interesting as long as it's civil.

"Care so much"? I can argue passionately for a position and not actually care much about it. I don't "care" per se... It's not a matter of caring. Just a discussion.

It's a natural reaction to what I see as crass exploitation. Someone brought up the fact that Vedder sells 60 million records... which is exactly my point. He didn't need to call the album "Ukulele Songs" - he didn't need to cause a big fuss about the uke. He didn't need to risk over-exposing the uke on pop stations, and causing millions of people to roll their eyes, yawn, and say "that tired uke crap Vedder beat to death back in '11". He didn't need to do any of it. Which is exactly what bugs me.

With that title he generated more mainstream interest in his music than he has for the last ten years. He may sell plenty of records, but with the exception of his soundtrack a few years ago, he's hardly referred to as "fresh" or 'interesting" - until that is, he called this album "Ukulele Songs". Now suddenly, and briefly, he's relevant and interesting - buzz worthy in fact.

But at what expense? Instead of the semi-obscure nifty little instrument we all know and love, the uke is now, like it not, "that thing Vedder already did." He essentially locks up the "contemporary singer-song-writer with a uke" schtick as tired and already-been-done for the foreseeable. Had he just used the uke as one of a normal ensamble of acoustic instruments, there would still be plenty of room for others.

It's a gimmick. A trick, and one he didn't need to do. Like all gimmicks, it only works once - and once people see it they sure as hell don't want to see it again.

It's a novelty act. Tiny Tim in new clothes and post-grunge hair (which in retrospect, Tim had too...).

What I find interesting is that folks get pissed at me and others when we take this positon. I'm annoyed by Vedder's marketing gimmick, and others are tired of hearing about it, but some folks take that discussion of our dislike very personally. I have no idea why. That alone is sort of endlessly fascinating to me.

UU can absolutely be a place to discuss things we don't like - as long as it's done rationally and with respect for the community. Personally, and this is strictly my opinion, I feel we get a little too "echo chamber-y" in here at times. It's nice to hear opinions that are not the same tired expressions. A little dose of differing opinions (without drama, thank you very much) is good for a community.

micromue
07-18-2011, 11:51 PM
Personally, and this is strictly my opinion, I feel we get a little too "echo chamber-y" in here at times. It's nice to hear opinions that are not the same tired expressions. A little dose of differing opinions (without drama, thank you very much) is good for a community.

I second that. I also liked the ironic way the OP described her observation about the EV Album being overexposured. It was a fun read.:D

AetherBlue
07-19-2011, 12:04 AM
Woah, GrumpyCoyote said it much better than I did in a earlier post.
Anyway, I just wish he'd have mixed it up a bit more in terms of insturments because he has the ability, like he did in the Into The Wild soundtrack.(Which I did like.) and came up with an original name for the album.

It did seem exploitative to me. You wouldn't call a piano album you wrote "Piano Songs" Would you? Acoustic guitar players don't name their albums "Guitar Jams"

savagehenry
07-19-2011, 01:28 AM
It's a natural reaction to what I see as crass exploitation. Someone brought up the fact that Vedder sells 60 million records... which is exactly my point. He didn't need to call the album "Ukulele Songs" - he didn't need to cause a big fuss about the uke. He didn't need to risk over-exposing the uke on pop stations, and causing millions of people to roll their eyes, yawn, and say "that tired uke crap Vedder beat to death back in '11". He didn't need to do any of it. Which is exactly what bugs me.

With that title he generated more mainstream interest in his music than he has for the last ten years. He may sell plenty of records, but with the exception of his soundtrack a few years ago, he's hardly referred to as "fresh" or 'interesting" - until that is, he called this album "Ukulele Songs". Now suddenly, and briefly, he's relevant and interesting - buzz worthy in fact.

But at what expense? Instead of the semi-obscure nifty little instrument we all know and love, the uke is now, like it not, "that thing Vedder already did." He essentially locks up the "contemporary singer-song-writer with a uke" schtick as tired and already-been-done for the foreseeable. Had he just used the uke as one of a normal ensamble of acoustic instruments, there would still be plenty of room for others.

It's a gimmick. A trick, and one he didn't need to do. Like all gimmicks, it only works once - and once people see it they sure as hell don't want to see it again.

It's a novelty act. Tiny Tim in new clothes and post-grunge hair (which in retrospect, Tim had too...).

I couldn't agree more, when Jake Shimabukuro put out the "Live" album, I thought he didn't need to call it that, why cause a big fuss about being live. Live is now "that thing Jake already did." He essentially locks up the "contemporary instrumental musician live" schtick as tired and already-been-done for the foreseeable. Had he just used a recording studio like everybody else, there would still be plenty of room for others. It's a gimmick. A trick, and one he didn't need to do. Like all gimmicks, it only works once - and once people see it they sure as hell don't want to see it again.

REALLY???

Rzr
07-19-2011, 01:48 AM
Pickle ?

Hippie Dribble
07-19-2011, 01:59 AM
I respect the right to everyone expressing their opinion too. But I heartily disagree with posts 177-180.

This is not some gimmick. The man has been playing the instrument for over a decade. My view is that he undoubtedly sees what a wonderful accompaniment the ukulele is for a singer songwriter's voice to be laid bare, to shine. Once all the production and massive arrangements are stripped away, all you are left with is the song, raw, emotive, and the voice singing it. This is a bold and courageous thing to do for a man in his position and I applaud it.

Just re the album title, "Ukulele Songs"...I just don't get the angst about that at all. It is a simple statement of fact. Alerting people to the fact of a change in musical direction is a completely rational exercise. Did we ever stop to consider that many previous fans might NOT buy the record because of it's focus on the ukulele? This perhaps is something to consider for those crying foul. This is not presented as some all encompassing statement that 'these are the only ukulele songs there are in the world and no one else has any place in my kingdom'...they are songs he wrote for the ukulele. Sheesh, if I'd recorded a zillion records with electric guitars I reckon I'd want some time out from them too. From talking to the folks at Mya Moe, who recently met up with Eddie Vedder, they have nothing but praise for the man, his motives, his musical passion. They were not startstruck by him but gave an honest appraisal of a man with a mutual love.

As a final parting shot, I neither can relate to the view that the uke's integrity is diminished by virtue of it being 'something Eddie Vedder already did'. This is to tar ukulele players world wide with a very narrow brush, and really, an affront to our intelligence. Most ukulele players I know have been playing well before this record, many have never even heard of Eddie Vedder, and will continue to play the instrument long after 'Ukulele Songs" is out of print.

All aboard folks! There is still plenty of room on the Ukulele Train for everyone!

Hippie Dribble
07-19-2011, 03:28 AM
Pickle ?

Ha Ha LOL!!!! Classic work. Just lovin it mate. Can't stop laughing now... :rofl::biglaugh:

roxhum
07-19-2011, 03:33 AM
OMG! Who has time to read 183 post, now 184. Tina you hit a nerve and you crack me up. I have been thoroughly entertained but I gotta go to work.... Has anyone actually read all 184 post?

Hippie Dribble
07-19-2011, 03:35 AM
OMG! Who has time to read 183 post, now 184. Tina you hit a nerve and you crack me up. I have been thoroughly entertained but I gotta go to work.... Has anyone actually read all 184 post?

ha ha....yeah Roxie, I have. Clearly I don't have a life....

roxhum
07-19-2011, 03:52 AM
I am right behind you Jon, I can't seem to stop. Better make another pot of coffee. I will be late for work and I will only read one UU thread this morning but OMG this is the funniest thread since the conversation about how badly you would hurt someone if you hit them in the head with a ukulele.

haolejohn
07-19-2011, 04:29 AM

Jon bon jovi bought a Mele a few years ago.

didgeridoo2
07-19-2011, 04:50 AM
Jon bon jovi bought a Mele a few years ago.

We all know what happens to Mele's when they end up in NJ, haolejohn. ;)

Nice post, eugene.

Lanark
07-19-2011, 05:36 AM
I'm sure he's not playing the songs to show what "tricks" he can do but writing music that came from the heart. We really don't know his skills...It's like Jimi Hendrix's Star Spangled Banner...He kept it so simple which was genius.

I'm not looking for "tricks". But it is possible to write songs from the heart that use different strum patterns and techniques and tempos. It just seems like kind of lazy songwriting to me.

And as I said previously, I don't doubt his sincerity, but I find that personally the songs on the album where he plays the ukulele like an ukulele are a bit more successful to my ears than the strummy ones with the same pattern. Given that it's mostly a voice and a single instrument the songs can get a bit same-y sounding if there's not much variety to how they're played. (especially for a singer with a pretty limited vocal range.) It's my opinion and a valid critique of the album, not a value judgment.

and while I also don't doubt that he can sell out, I do find it kind of ironic that a man who went on a personal crusade about high Ticketmaster fees would charge what seems to me a slightly outrageous amount to see him play live. by himself. without a band to pay or a huge amount of equipment to haul across the country. That's all. If that's what the market will bear, then great for him, but I won't be ponying up my hard earned for it. (Two tickets would be approx. 10% of the custom ukulele I'm currently considering.)

haolejohn
07-19-2011, 05:58 AM
We all know what happens to Mele's when they end up in NJ, haolejohn. ;)

Nice post, eugene.
They get put in ovens?

didgeridoo2
07-19-2011, 06:28 AM
They get put in ovens?
:nana: ...

Wesley S
07-19-2011, 06:52 AM
I'm late to this thread but - my favorite posts are the ones about "I've never heard of Eddie Vedder and I don't plan to listen to him". Riiiight.....

There are very few things we have control over in this life. Eddie Vedder released a recording called Ukulele Songs. We have no control over that. We DO however have some control over wheather we spend our hard earned money buying one at the store. And if we hear him on the radio we have the right to change the channel. If you don't like him - save your money or change the channel.

Better to raise our blood pressure over things we CAN change. In the meantime I think my Pono needs a good tuning.

GrumpyCoyote
I couldn't agree more, when Jake Shimabukuro put out the "Live" album, I thought he didn't need to call it that, why cause a big fuss about being live. Live is now "that thing Jake already did." He essentially locks up the "contemporary instrumental musician live" schtick as tired and already-been-done for the foreseeable. Had he just used a recording studio like everybody else, there would still be plenty of room for others. It's a gimmick. A trick, and one he didn't need to do. Like all gimmicks, it only works once - and once people see it they sure as hell don't want to see it again.

Your analog isn't even close and misses the point. Jake is a virtually unknown artist comparatively for one. Secondly, live albums are well established and uninteresting both to the press and the public. Jake wasn't exploiting anything by playing live. Uke albums by multi-billion selling rock-stars on the other hand are a gimmick. The analogy simply doesn't work.

It's not a departure musically - same stuff he's been doing. It was strictly a gimmick to gain some press. And it worked.

Someone mentioned the "integrity of the uke". I couldn't care less about the integrity of the uke, whatever that is. My entire point is that the uke is a valid instrument just like any other. There is no need to wave it over one's head and shout "Look at me and how out of the box I am! I'm musically relevant and interesting Look over here!!"

To do so is simply a cheap trick. There are plenty of folks out there making the uke a part of contemporary music, and they have been doing so for a long time. Even, as mentioned above Eddie himself (I've seen clips of him playing uke many times in the past - thought it was great)... he should have stuck to that instead of stooping to marketing gimmicks.

bellzdeep
hey austin1, can't wait to hear your next album to compare it to eddie vedder's. you can't lump all guitar players and styles together and no one expects you to like them all, ukulele should be no different. but since you sound like you invented the ukulele though, i can see your point

austin1
07-19-2011, 06:57 AM
hey austin1, can't wait to hear your next album to compare it to eddie vedder's. you can't lump all guitar players and styles together and no one expects you to like them all, ukulele should be no different. but since you sound like you invented the ukulele though, i can see your point

Welcome to UU, bellzdeep. Head on over to the New Members forum to introduce yourself.

hoosierhiver
07-19-2011, 06:57 AM

Why do I think you might have another UU account?

sukie
07-19-2011, 06:58 AM
Why do I think you might have another UU account?

Ya think? :-)

GrumpyCoyote
07-19-2011, 07:00 AM

Again, just because some of us find the album to be mildly offensive does not mean we find those of you who like it mildly offensive. Lets refrain from the "lets see your album" stuff.

Disliking something is not a personal insult.

didgeridoo2
07-19-2011, 07:38 AM
I'm not sure I agree with the "it's just a gimmick" argument. Like I said earlier, I think he's sincere about playing the uke. It may be slick marketing because of the surge in popularity, but he claims to have written these songs years ago.

The book that follows the cd seems gimmicky to follow so closely, though.

jlester2200
07-19-2011, 08:05 AM
the book ships today, so i'll let you know whether or not it's a gimmick, but something tells me it's just a book, printed on nice paper, with lyrics and chords and pictures of the beach and such.
i got an adobe download of all the chords and lyrics when the album came out - very helpful.
oh how i wish ed had called his album "smell the glove" or some such nonsense, avoided all this silly backlash.

hoosierhiver
07-19-2011, 08:15 AM
oh how i wish ed had called his album "smell the glove" or some such nonsense, avoided all this silly backlash.

How about "Talk to the hand"

Dan Uke
07-19-2011, 08:26 AM
Thanks Dougf for posting the video!!! Acoustic sounds great but can't wait to hear plugged in w/ bass and drums!!!

WhenDogsSing
07-19-2011, 08:46 AM
Yeah!

Heyyy...Let's hear a great big round of appreciation for RussBuss415 and Ukulollo...That is one nice video...!!!

70sSanO
07-19-2011, 09:08 AM
6,390 people die every hour around the world.

Since this thread started that equals 313,110 people.

However, it is unknown how many of those people died from reading this thread.

John

BadLands Bart
07-19-2011, 09:39 AM
6,390 people die every hour around the world.

Since this thread started that equals 313,110 people.

However, it is unknown how many of those people died from reading this thread.

John

lol!!!!!!! :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

Duke Uke Um
07-19-2011, 09:40 AM
The EV album to me is great and if it turns somebody a kid maybe into finding the uke as it did me...its all good. Our strings player in my band got me into uke first and Eddie's album helped. I'm a bass player also, talk about a back of the stage in the dark instrument. When you have somebody take an instrument many think is a toy or linked only to Tiny Tim you should enjoy the hype or you can stand in the back of the stage and stay in the dark.

Ron98GT
07-19-2011, 10:16 AM
Ron - Nice guitar collection...I don't know about the uke. lol

Thanks.

I got others, including a 66' VOX electric from when I was a kid in the 60's, along with a bunch of amps. But the Taylor and the Gibson Les Paul are my favorites.

Personally, I think the Epi uke sucks. Sounds like a mini laminated guitar with nylon strings. Wait-a-Minute, it is a mini laminated guitar with nylon strings. Just kidding - I bought it bcause it looks similiar to my Gibson Les Paul, it makes me laugh, and it was $99 from Amazon (Musicans Friend) with free shipping.

olgoat52
07-19-2011, 11:14 AM
Not sure about the gimmicky aspect but I found it a little bit of a gimmick that there was a DVD release on 5/31/11 "Water on the road" that was recorded in 2008. He has a couple of uke tunes on there but mostly other instruments.

Not a bad performance but it has been in the can for 3 years and released on the same day as the CD. Good PR staff.

CoLmes
07-19-2011, 11:32 AM

Clever name lol..

sukie
07-19-2011, 12:31 PM
Clever name lol..

TOTALLY OFF TOPIC, but..........

I looked for white letters. Found none. Hmmmmmmmm.......

poppy
07-19-2011, 12:38 PM
HUH ,what cd?

CoLmes
07-19-2011, 12:44 PM
TOTALLY OFF TOPIC, but..........

I looked for white letters. Found none. Hmmmmmmmm.......

None to be found ;-)Not even here..nope not here either.. or here... seriously did someone make their name bellzdeep to make people think it was me and rob and to tell tina what they really wanted to tell her? How small is their rooster? For serious.

Teek
07-19-2011, 06:13 PM
I'm a little late to this party since pretty much all I do now is work and recover from work so I can work some more. I read backwards a few pages and I only have one question.

Who is Eddy Vetter again and why should I care...? :confused:

FreakyBob
07-19-2011, 06:20 PM
Saw EV (and Glen Hansard opening) in Portland last week and had a great time - the uke (primarily a Mya-Moe resonator which he graciously plugged) was in Eddie's hands for about a third of the songs - the rest with a mando, lots of acoustic and electric guitars. So in the event this fascinating thread is closed before a setlist is posted here goes kids and please don't beat me too hard for doing so:

Eddie Vedder
Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall
Portland, OR
July 14, 2011

Set List
01. Walking The Cow-(Daniel Johnston)
02. Can’t Keep
03. Sleeping By Myself
04. Without You
05. Goodbye
06. Blue, Red And Grey-(Townshend)
07. I Am Mine
08. Thumbing My Way
09. Just Breathe
10. Far Behind
11. Long Nights w/Glen Hansard
12. Setting Forth
13. Guaranteed
14. Rise (dedicated to Gerry Lopez)
15. Immortality
16. Unthought Known
17. The End
18. Arc

Encore Break 1
19. If You Want To Sing Out, Sing Out-(Yusuf Islam)
20. You’ve Got To Hide Your Love Away-(Lennon, McCartney)
21. Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town
22. The Golden State w/ Corin Tucker-(John Doe)
23. Tonight You Belong To Me w/Janet Weiss-(Rose/David)
24. Sleepless Nights w/Glen Hansard-(Boudleaux Bryant, Felice Bryant){busking style-no mics or amplification}
25. Society w/Glen Hansard-(Jerry Hannan)
26. Falling Slowly-{Glen singing and playing acoustic, Eddie duet vocal}-(Glen Hansard, Markťta IrglovŠ)
27. Porch

Encore Break 2
28. Hard Sun w/ Glen Hansard, Corin Tucker and Janet Weiss-(Gordon Peterson)
29. Dream A Little Dream-(Gus Kahn, Wilbur Schwandt, Fabian Andree)

wickedwahine11
07-19-2011, 06:24 PM
Saw EV (and Glen Hansard opening) in Portland last week and had a great time - the uke (primarily a Mya-Moe resonator which he graciously plugged) was in Eddie's hands for about a third of the songs - the rest with a mando, lots of acoustic and electric guitars. So in the event this fascinating thread is closed before a setlist is posted here goes kids and please don't beat me too hard for doing so:

Hmm, I'm surprised he didn't play "Longing to Belong."

I'm glad he did "Blue, Red and Grey" though, that is a great song.

cletus
07-19-2011, 06:29 PM
:deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse:

FreakyBob
07-19-2011, 06:50 PM
Perfect amount of pain Cletus!

sdmayo78
07-19-2011, 06:58 PM
What I love about the "he's using the uke as a gimmick to get attention" is the only people buying this record are existing Pearl Jam/Eddie Vedder fans and some curious uke enthusiasts...

I think a uke playing songwriter made a record and went on tour. I don't think there were a bunch of big meetings with record exec's about how he could sell an extra 10 records by squeezing the life of a poor little ukulele.

but I've been wrong before...

grace and peace,
sam

olgoat52
07-19-2011, 07:07 PM
I'm a little late to this party since pretty much all I do now is work and recover from work so I can work some more. I read backwards a few pages and I only have one question.

Who is Eddy Vetter again and why should I care...? :confused:

You'll never make Poho reading a thread like that.. ;)

ukunuke
07-19-2011, 07:30 PM
I've had a bad week at work. I needed some diversion. I landed here. I'm a communications major. This has been a blast. I appreciate the humor, the passion, the concern, the general electric energy that has kept this thread alive. I laughed, I did some thinking, I finally just decided that you guys, no matter what you think or don't think about Eddie Vedder, are such a diverse and open bunch of folks, I'm glad to have a logon. And at the back of my mind, I keep wondering, "What would George think?"

kalmario
07-19-2011, 07:49 PM
22 pages is a lot of hate frankly. didn't he start playing the uke in '95? way earlier than most here i figure.

also if he named it anything other than 'ukulele songs' it might be shocking or misleading to his fan base.

still this was bound to happen sooner or later if the uke was to go main stream....

Cliff
(EV fan)

vetcvm
07-19-2011, 10:52 PM

Eddie Vedder
Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall
Portland, OR
July 14, 2011

Set List
01. Walking The Cow-(Daniel Johnston)
02. Can’t Keep
03. Sleeping By Myself
04. Without You
05. Goodbye
06. Blue, Red And Grey-(Townshend)
07. I Am Mine
08. Thumbing My Way
09. Just Breathe
10. Far Behind
11. Long Nights w/Glen Hansard
12. Setting Forth
13. Guaranteed
14. Rise (dedicated to Gerry Lopez)
15. Immortality
16. Unthought Known
17. The End
18. Arc

Encore Break 1
19. If You Want To Sing Out, Sing Out-(Yusuf Islam)
20. You’ve Got To Hide Your Love Away-(Lennon, McCartney)
21. Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town
22. The Golden State w/ Corin Tucker-(John Doe)
23. Tonight You Belong To Me w/Janet Weiss-(Rose/David)
24. Sleepless Nights w/Glen Hansard-(Boudleaux Bryant, Felice Bryant){busking style-no mics or amplification}
25. Society w/Glen Hansard-(Jerry Hannan)
26. Falling Slowly-{Glen singing and playing acoustic, Eddie duet vocal}-(Glen Hansard, Markťta IrglovŠ)
27. Porch

Encore Break 2
28. Hard Sun w/ Glen Hansard, Corin Tucker and Janet Weiss-(Gordon Peterson)
29. Dream A Little Dream-(Gus Kahn, Wilbur Schwandt, Fabian Andree)

Wow sounds like a lot of fun indeed!
it is surprising he didn't perform "longing to belong", i don't know about the US but here
it's the only song i heard on the radio from this album.

krabbers
07-20-2011, 01:22 AM
In reply to OP, I have no idea who Eddie Vedder is, I do know he put out an album but being poor I haven't brought it...yet....and I honestly prefer the album Krabbers sent me, Darla likes to sing along, I do too, even B does, why do we need Eddie Veeder?!
aww thanks Joeybug, it was very nice of you to say, thanks (still available on ebay) OFF THE TUBE plug plug

ichadwick
07-20-2011, 01:35 AM
The gods did not give Eddie Vedder an ukulele made of gold after he was put through seven trials and sat under a waterfall for forty days and forty nights in his underwear, waiting for the full moon to reveal the secret password to him so he could open the Shrine of the Silver Monkey.
Well, I haven't heard him (yet), and I know who he is, but famous is relative. To me he's a minor player in pop culture, which is a transient fashion of taste.

But if he's a star for some, then he might bring more people to the uke, which means more and better ukes in standard music stores (I hope) and more choices for those of us constrained to buying online. It may make people buy other uke CDs and get to know some of the other performers better. So more power to him. If we could raise the dead, I'd resurrect George Harrison and make him do a uke album, too.

So far, no one has asked me if I can play like Eddie Vedder. Most of the time I'm asked if I play like Tiny Tim.

Foinnse
07-20-2011, 01:42 AM
Pickle ?

Whats with the Pickle reference??..... I don't get it, please explain!

Also this thread is pretty entertaining. I'm personally not that enamored with the album, I don't find it that good but whatever. I also have not had people constantly annoying me with "Have you heard EV has a uke album" stuff but I can understand how it could be a little grating alright.

However I do think some people are taking this too seriously. The OP obviously had their tongue firmly pressed into their cheek.

The discussion is good though. As someone else mentioned it gets a bit boring, and pretty artificial, when everyone is agreeing for the sake of agreeing and this nonsense of "lets all stand in a circle strumming joyous music and then have a little cuddle" attitude gets me too. Debate is healthy, even if it gets a little heated at times. I have had heated discussions with good friends many times but we are only better friends for it. I can respect someone expressing their honest opinion, whether it goes against the grain or not.

-F

austin1
07-20-2011, 02:05 AM
However I do think some people are taking this too seriously. The OP obviously had their tongue firmly pressed into their cheek.

There's still an imprint!

telebob
07-20-2011, 03:55 AM
Whew... 23 pages (to date, with more to come for certain). I'll admit I skimmed a few posts in pages 15-18 thereabouts... and quickly skipped over the non-salient posts. An interesting thread loaded with mucho opinions and comments.

I did buy Eddie's "Ukulele Songs" CD when it came out back in May. I've played it twice and a couple songs a couple times more... since then, its been on the shelf as I've moved onto newer and other albums. Overall I found the album listenable and enjoyed the performances and songs. I will likely play the CD again...

didgeridoo2
07-20-2011, 03:59 AM
There's still an imprint!
Not surprising now that we all know it's forked. :p

UncleElvis
07-20-2011, 04:04 AM
You know what I hate?

I hate it when Krabbers is all talented and funny and entertaining and gracious and friendly and awesome and stuff. Seriously.
His album is a blast, his YouTube stuff hilarious and his tweets make me cackle.

I hate that.

BadLands Bart
07-20-2011, 04:42 AM
:deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse:

I agree!!! Besides, I was not aware of an Anti-Eddie Vedder Movement!
Really folks this is getting old quickly!!!

austin1
07-20-2011, 04:56 AM
Not surprising now that we all know it's forked. :p

This made me :rotfl:

PedalFreak
07-20-2011, 05:22 AM
24 pages???

Really???

austin1
07-20-2011, 06:52 AM
24 pages???

Really???

I think at least two or three of those pages have been people posting the page count :D

Uke Whisperer
07-20-2011, 07:42 AM
Well, I haven't heard him (yet), and I know who he is, but famous is relative. To me he's a minor player in pop culture, which is a transient fashion of taste.

But if he's a star for some, then he might bring more people to the uke, which means more and better ukes in standard music stores (I hope) and more choices for those of us constrained to buying online. It may make people buy other uke CDs and get to know some of the other performers better. So more power to him. If we could raise the dead, I'd resurrect George Harrison and make him do a uke album, too.

So far, no one has asked me if I can play like Eddie Vedder. Most of the time I'm asked if I play like Tiny Tim.

Ian, thanks for your post! I agree with it!

I don't want you to feel "left-out", so I will ask. Can you play like Eddie Vedder?

UncleElvis
07-20-2011, 08:02 AM
I also hate it when people don't ask Tina "Did you know Uncle Elvis is awesome! Can you play like him?"

Doesn't anyone realize just how famous I am?

I'm the guy that the hipsters refer to when they say "Oh, you wouldn't have heard of him."!

austin1
07-20-2011, 08:10 AM
I also hate it when people don't ask Tina "Did you know Uncle Elvis is awesome! Can you play like him?"

I'm the guy that the hipsters refer to when they say "Oh, you wouldn't have heard of him."!

I ask myself that very question, every day.

Scarecrow
07-20-2011, 08:11 AM

Uncle Elvis is my hero. I am more familiar with his work than that Vedder guy.

Mandarb
07-20-2011, 08:12 AM

Scarecrow is my hero.

Scarecrow
07-20-2011, 08:14 AM

I don't mean to sidetrack the thread, but does anyone know where I can buy a Uncle Elvis tee shirt?

hoosierhiver
07-20-2011, 08:15 AM
I don't mean to sidetrack the thread, but does anyone know where I can buy a Uncle Elvis tee shirt?

I knew I should have kept his glasses from UWC, I could have made a fortune on Ebay.

Mandarb
07-20-2011, 08:16 AM

I do mean to sidetrack the thread - where can I can get a Scarecrow tee shirt?

Scarecrow
07-20-2011, 08:16 AM

I saw Uncle Elvis on stage at UWC 2011. When he did "suspicious minds" on stage, I threw my underwear up on the stage. Yes, he is that good!

Scarecrow
07-20-2011, 08:20 AM
I do mean to sidetrack the thread - where can I can get a Scarecrow tee shirt?

I only have one. But I will send it to you, if you don't mind the blood splatters and pit stains.

Gmoney
07-20-2011, 08:20 AM

UncleE will probably be more than happy to sell you any of his T-Shirts (except for maybe a "Mim's Ukes" or "UWC2011"), but you have to go to Bermuda to collect it...

(oh, and for the record, or CD as it were... I have Mr. Vedder's CD in my rental car this week & happen to really like several of the cuts. And, I'm a REALLY OLD FART who has never conciously ever heard a single Pearl Jam tune.)

Mandarb
07-20-2011, 08:21 AM
I only have one. But I will send it to you, if you don't mind the blood splatters and pit stains.

Wouldn't have it any other way!

Scarecrow
07-20-2011, 08:23 AM
Is it me or has this train completely left the tracks?

Scarecrow
07-20-2011, 08:26 AM

My work here is done. Later.

Mandarb
07-20-2011, 08:28 AM

I hope so.

Mandarb
07-20-2011, 08:29 AM
My work here is done. Later.

Agreed. Later.

Kanaka916
07-20-2011, 08:39 AM
I do agree this has been derailed . . . and 25 pages (whew), I think everything has been said. Therefore and if no one has any objections, consider this one http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v486/hawhyen51/locked.png . . . send me a PM, if you feel this should go on, I have no problems re-opening.